Japan to Quit Pacifism?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

Japan to Quit Pacifism?

Post by Footslogger »

Interesting Article and a cool video about a Japanese Pilot during WWII.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/asia/japa ... index.html

Yaab

RE: Japan to Quit Pacifism?

Post by Yaab »

"In war there are no humans rights. Everybody is just a weapon".

Now, that sent chills down my spine.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

And folks wonder why there is such opposition to Abe's move... it sends chills up the spine of most of Southeast Asia.......
desicat

Post by desicat »

Not without a fight!
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

Southeast Asia sees Japan as a bulwark against China and they don't necessarily trust Uncle Sugar to be around all the time. And that headline is clickbait: All Abe is talking about is helping Allies with support and shooting down missiles aimed at the U.S. This is not a return to the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Sheytan

Post by Sheytan »

Hard to objectively comment on this.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

But this time no 25mm AA guns, please. No CV-BB Godzillas. No torpedo cruisers. No 12cm AA rockets. No tankettes. No Nates. No,no,no!
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Southeast Asia sees Japan as a bulwark against China and they don't necessarily trust Uncle Sugar to be around all the time. And that headline is clickbait: All Abe is talking about is helping Allies with support and shooting down missiles aimed at the U.S. This is not a return to the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

Cheers,
CC

Hear hear. It's not the Japanese that are building up islands in disputed non-territorial waters, bouncing patrol ships off of other navies, drilling for oil in disputed waters and defiantly breaching territorial home waters of superpowers halfway around the world.
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Hear hear. It's not the Japanese that are building up islands in disputed non-territorial waters, bouncing patrol ships off of other navies, drilling for oil in disputed waters and defiantly breaching territorial home waters of superpowers halfway around the world.
The Chinese may be the most prominent/aggressive in doing that, but they are by far not the only ones who are sending patrol vessels around, building up islands and drilling for oil in that disputed region. Something that conveniently gets left out most of the times when talking about this issue.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: SigUp
The Chinese may be the most prominent/aggressive in doing that

Which is why I insinuated, but did not name them, as you did.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

The Chinese may be the most prominent/aggressive in doing that

Which is why I insinuated, but did not name them, as you did.

At this time, they are the only country that goes out of it's way to Threaten USN ships and aircraft. Of course Iran sort of does , but that's like being nibbled by ducks, it make you laugh rather that tee you off. The PRC has the attitude , we own the world. [:@]
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

Hmmm...
Welcome to the 21st century.[;)][:D]

Japan and Poland are our only two Allies that now realize that "they are on their own".

Every country that has lived under our military umbrella for the last 70 years better wake up.
We can't afford to do it anymore.
Sorry, but it's time for them to "pony up" to defend themselves.

Just a fact, this is not a political statement.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Fortunately, we have Polish MGEN Koniu commanding the Japanese forces. He has already quit Pacifism and adopted Home Islandism with a touch of elastic Mainsteinism in the naval department.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Something that conveniently gets left out most of the times when talking about this issue.

Not just *this* issue but most. The mainstream media, governments, intel services etc. do not lie normally. They just don´t tell the whole truth or use wordings that can be interpreted in several ways. So they always can say, we did not say that, actually we meant...xxxxx..... [;)]

I watch funny videos at youtube about eg. CNN,Fox etc. propaganda, interestingly enough they will use the term "a source" lot. But never name that "source" [8|] Or they say "an official told....." who and when ? But you really need to be poked with the nose on such tricks otherwise you wouldnt even notice it. I do not watch TV at all, but youtube so I learned about severall issues with media "reporting" I am now so far that I do not believe much at all what is reported. Would even say some so called "news" are pre fabricated to serve certain groups of people or certain goals of propaganda goals. There is also the book "Das Medienmonopol" (in English I do not know)... among severall about the methods of "press" or "media" (my reply is a bit OT to the Japan topic, but I have no opinion on this specific topic, so I wrote some media critics. LOL)

Now if you wanna see/read the worst "press" outputs try "Bildzeitung" or the English version "Daily Mail" (I believe...).
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

But this time no 25mm AA guns, please. No CV-BB Godzillas. No torpedo cruisers. No 12cm AA rockets. No tankettes. No Nates. No,no,no!

...and no Spencer Tracies [:D]
Big B

Post by Big B »

Tokyo has faced growing international pressure to expand the role of its military to defend the interests of its key allies, including the United States. America is bound by treaty to defend Japan, an agreement that has been in place since 1960.

"Japan is like the 42-year-old kid still living in the basement of the United States," said longtime Asia strategist Keith Henry.

Henry's Tokyo-based consulting firm, Asia Strategy, provides governmental policy analysis. Henry likens the defense bills to Japan finally "growing up" and moving beyond vague concepts of peace and democracy that are no longer practical given today's rapidly changing geopolitical landscape.

To me, this is absolutely inevitable. Japans' Pacifism is based on an event that ended a lifetime ago. It's an unnatural state of affairs for a nation to NOT defend and pursue whatever it sees as it's national interests.

Japan forever holding on to the principals... that were the result of a military defeat by the Allied Powers rapidly approaching a century ago - is as unrealistic as expecting a policy enacted by Rome to deal with the threat of a militant Carthage - to remain unchanged for 2000 years.

In essence, once the original generation that faced an historical event passes, no one can expect future generations to continue old policies in a world that has changed.

....If not this year - someday down the road definitely.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The only way pacifism works is if you have a worldwide empire or belong to one.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Now if you wanna see/read the worst "press" outputs try "Bildzeitung" or the English version "Daily Mail" (I believe...).
warspite1

No, you are thinking of The Sun.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Both are pretty bad, but you have to admit that the Daily Mail takes the prize for sensationalist headlines.

As a complete OT aside, the media frenzy over Corbyn is just hilarious to read.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Both are pretty bad, but you have to admit that the Daily Mail takes the prize for sensationalist headlines.

As a complete OT aside, the media frenzy over Corbyn is just hilarious to read.

I'm being told he's an ISIL Manchurian candidate. Can he sing as well as Sinatra?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”