Something wrong or was changed with art bombardements ?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Alpha77

Something wrong or was changed with art bombardements ?

Post by Alpha77 »

Noticed in contrast to the Allied game I played 3-4 yrs ago you can now bombard with your arty DAILY. [&:] I bombard daily with art in eg. China, but the art units still have only 4 points of fatigue. No disruption mostly. I am not complaining as for the the bombardments are too deadly (they arent at all) but as for they are not tiring from firing EVERY DAY. Also some guns would need overhaul after at least a week of firing? Or is this already modelled in so far that only a portion of guns and crew fire, while another portion rests and maintains their gear (guns) ?

To clarify in the other game played you needed to rest art crews.
Lokasenna

RE: Something wrong or was changed with art bombardements ?

Post by Lokasenna »

I think there was an issue, years ago, with artillery being too effective - which would lead to the high fatigue and disruption in your bombarding units. However, that would be the result of the enemy's artillery fire...

I think this was fixed in one of the very early betas? Maybe I'm completely misremembering.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I think there was an issue, years ago, with artillery being too effective - which would lead to the high fatigue and disruption in your bombarding units. However, that would be the result of the enemy's artillery fire...

I think this was fixed in one of the very early betas? Maybe I'm completely misremembering.

Possible. Maybe this is just because the Chinese do not have much art for counter battery fire ? I have not checked much of the current allied setup to not spoil surprises etc. for myself the IJ player...but believe the Chinese were manpower but not gun heavy. I need to have some more battles with art heavy forces of the Allies to judge this better probably.

But even if there is no counter fire alone from firing day after day they should tire and damage to gear should appear (maybe I am nitpicking here lol)
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I don't think there is any artillery in most Chinese units, at least in stock. In DBB things might be different.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

When arty gets a lot of counterbattery, it hurts. On the other hand, if you are bombarding w/o effective counter from your enemy there are few reasons for arty to get fatigued or disrupted. They just get a firing session each day, staying on some stationary positions, with not much movement. Only loaders would get their hands strained some )
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

No, your memory is accurate. Way back, patch 2 maybe? the devs downgraded arty by 4x. Kinda substantial. [:D]

It really was overpowered. At the time I thought that slashing it by a factor of 4 was too much, but clearly the dev team (once again) proved that they really did know their stuff as it is quite well balanced.
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

to the OP:
Like all other units, morale, exp, and prep matter a lot. So if any of those factors are different from your prior experience, then the arty can give quite different results. I don't think there is any bug ... [;)]
Pax
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

This thread got me started on a trip down memory lane. I dug up and read through some of the old artillery discussion threads from back when all the changes were taking place.

Net effect is artillery bombardments now cause disruption and fatigue along with increased supply loss. The real pain is now dealt out in assault combats when troops are massed and exposed to concentrated fire.

tm.asp?m=2293922

tm.asp?m=2318650

tm.asp?m=2396978

Jim
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Many years ago, Canoerebel strolled this forums and wailed about a Death Star that roamed China, whose thunderous roar could be heard in India Command HQ in Delhi. These were dark time, when Changsha defenders were Yamatoed by the Jap artillery and whole regiments were consumed by shrapnel day after day, but the Game Gods listened and amended the Code, and from then on, China could stand her ground.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”