Kursk: The Battle of Prokhorovka (book)

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

praetor1944

Kursk: The Battle of Prokhorovka (book)

Post by praetor1944 »

When too much detail is still not enough, there is this little volume (only 1662 pages). Available in Oct 2015 for a mere $249.99 USD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097138 ... _i=desktop

Commanderski

RE: Kursk: The Battle of Prokhorovka (book)

Post by Commanderski »

It must weigh close to 5 pounds maybe more...[:)] I don't know what else could be written about it but may check into it after it's been released.

If there is any new information maybe a new Kursk scenario could be made from it.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

If it covers the entire Battle of Kursk (before-during-after) on battalion scale, it would be great for those who could afford it. But just on the Prokhorovka engagement would be ridiculous.
Steelers708

Post by Steelers708 »

It's focus is only on the South,and covers all the actions of the 4th PzAOK and ArmeeAbteilung Kempf, focusing on XXXXVIII PzKorps, II SS PzKorps and the III PzKorps along with the Soviet forces opposing them, leading up to and including Prokhorovka.

The book is approximately 6inches thick and weighs 13lbs and includes the following:

29 fold-out maps
94 maps in the text
41 charts, graphs and diagrams
166 tables
194 statistical sheets covering each engagement
100 separate sidebars of discussion
66 German and Soviet commander biographies, and
4 photo sections with 289 photos drawn from both German and Soviet sources.
speedy.gh

Post by speedy.gh »

It looks awesome. Very tempting :)

Is there a similar book about the Operation Barbarossa with good maps, charts, graphs, etc.?
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Barbarossa Derailed: The Battle for Smolensk 10 July-10 September 1941 by David Glantz is very good. There are 4 volumes, the 4th referred to as also a stand alone volume but hasn't been released yet. It was supposed to be out last month. It says it has over one hundred specially commissioned color maps that trace the course of the campaign, each accompanied by a detailed caption.

Volume 3 has Tables, Orders and Reports prepared by participating Red Army forces

Volumes 1 and 2 cover the campaign up to September 10th. Although it primarily covers the battle of Smolensk it does touch on the North and South a little if I remember correctly. Once Volume 4 comes out I will probably reread volumes 1 and 2.
morvael

Post by morvael »

I think the Kursk book was about $180 in preorders. Still way too much to be affordable. Would buy it otherwise, because it comes from the current head of Dupuy Institute and I'm interested in their QJM/TNDM algorithms of determining battle outcomes. Perhaps this book sheds some light on TNDM, as I assume it was built from the data assembled to test TNDM. But maybe I'm mistaken and it's "just" data.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I'll wait for the movie....
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Just saw this Objective Ponyri! The Defeat of XXXXI. Panzerkorps at Ponyri Train Station
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/099227 ... _i=desktop
204 pages on a high-quality gloss stock
- Large 297 x 210 landscape format
- Hardcover only
- 60 aerial photos
- 18 colour satellite images
- 19 maps and 9 sketches
- 32 supporting photos
- 2 appendices

That covers the Northern sector of the battle of Kursk. If you get this one and the other one listed above you should have a pretty detailed picture of what went on during the battle.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”