F-15 will payloads 16 AAMRAMs?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

jun5896

F-15 will payloads 16 AAMRAMs?

Post by jun5896 »

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defens ... /71979416/

http://www.boeing.com/defense/f-15-stri ... pabilities

Boeing will brief attendees on a new configuration of the F-15, which ups the number of air-to-air weapons on the popular jet to 16.
Dysta

RE: F-15 will payloads 16 AAMRAMs?

Post by Dysta »

Standoff fighters, anyone?
jun5896

Post by jun5896 »

ORIGINAL: Dysta

Standoff fighters, anyone?

I think USAF wants to procure AAMRAM missile carrier, So I heard B-1 bomber is one of alternative. Nowadays F-15E and F/A-18E/F(for USN) are also candidate aircrafts.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: jun5896

I think USAF wants to procure AAMRAM missile carrier, So I heard B-1 bomber is one of alternative. Nowadays F-15E and F/A-18E/F(for USN) are also candidate aircrafts.
I actually dug their concept to convert air-to-ground bomber into an arsenal bomber, loaded with at least 2 dozens of BVRs to start the rampage, while fighters have easier jobs to tailgate the remaining hostile.

The reason that discarded anti-air B-1 is the massive signature to get detected, and still-cumbersome maneuverability to turn back once a whole salvo is launched. Maybe a fatter eagle can take its job.
jun5896

Post by jun5896 »

ORIGINAL: jun5896

I actually dug their concept to convert air-to-ground bomber into an arsenal bomber, loaded with at least 2 dozens of BVRs to start the rampage, while fighters have easier jobs to tailgate the remaining hostile.

The reason that discarded anti-air B-1 is the massive signature to get detected, and still-cumbersome maneuverability to turn back once a whole salvo is launched. Maybe a fatter eagle can take its job.

That's interesting concept for future air superiority warfare. When Boeing announces it, I will suggest this information for DB 3000. [:)] Fatter eagle can take this role, Also fatter hornet can this job.
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Thanks for the links [8D]

However the missileer concept died in the late 1960s. Lots of reasons it doesn't work on the battlefield, esp on a non-stealth platform.

The USN wanted to give the now-cancelled A-12 Avenger II a secondary missileer role, but only because it was extremely stealthy and could go after enemy high-value units like AWACS. The A-12 and its missileer loadout is of course included in the database.

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

I hardly think that loaded 16 Fox-ones in a single platform isn't going to do anything besides shoot-n-scoot. However, I really have difficulty to find out their alternative purpose.

Time will tell, but the best we get is Boeing's announcement soon enough.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook »

I hardly think that loaded 16 Fox-ones in a single platform isn't going to do anything besides shoot-n-scoot. However, I really have difficulty to find out their alternative purpose.

You mean Fox threes. Fox one is SARH like Sparrow. That would be way less useful than 16 AMRAAMs
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

ORIGINAL: Tailhook

You mean Fox threes. Fox one is SARH like Sparrow. That would be way less useful than 16 AMRAAMs
Strange, many said Fox One is radar homing missiles, which I usually take AMRAAMS as one of these.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: Tailhook

Strange, many said Fox One is radar homing missiles, which I usually take AMRAAMS as one of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_(code_word)

Fox One - Indicates launch of a semi-active radar-guided missile (such as the AIM-7 Sparrow).[1]
Fox Two - Indicates launch of an infrared-guided missile (such as the AIM-9 Sidewinder).[1]
Fox Three - Indicates launch of an active radar-guided missile (such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM and AIM-54 Phoenix).[1]
Fox Four - Historical term indicating air-to-air or air-to-surface cannon fire. The term in current usage is Guns, Guns, Guns.[2]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Ahh, much clearer. Thanks.
che2000

Post by che2000 »

Ragnar BTW the A-12 Avenger with the aim-120d load out can fire only 2 missiles at a time. Is it working as designed ? And please can you add this F-15 load out :)
anxiousbob

Post by anxiousbob »

ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_(code_word)

Fox One - Indicates launch of a semi-active radar-guided missile (such as the AIM-7 Sparrow).[1]
Fox Two - Indicates launch of an infrared-guided missile (such as the AIM-9 Sidewinder).[1]
Fox Three - Indicates launch of an active radar-guided missile (such as the AIM-120 AMRAAM and AIM-54 Phoenix).[1]
Fox Four - Historical term indicating air-to-air or air-to-surface cannon fire. The term in current usage is Guns, Guns, Guns.[2]
Not to further muddy the picture, but I have heard old Air Force guys call all radar missiles Fox One and guns Fox 3. The terms above are the standard NATO phrases now.
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

Yep. In Viet Nam, Fox 1 was radar, Fox 2 was IR, Fox 3 was guns, and Fox 4 was colliding with an enemy aircraft.
harpoon731

Post by harpoon731 »

My only Question for an F-15 carrying 16 missiles... where are the other 8 going? The F-15 only has 8 A/A Missile stations.

Edit: So I looked at the links above again, I see that they are adding the outboard stations. That's gonna require some strengthening of the wings. Also noticed the increase of the inboard pylons to accommodate 4 on each side. Nice rendering, but operationally that's gonna be pretty intense if they make it work.

Nice concept and if it works for them that'll be great.

Former F-15E Crew Chief
90th Fighter Squadron 1994-1997
Former F-15E Crew Chief
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

The pilot will carry them and throw them out as needed. The ultimate off-bore shoot.
harpoon731

Post by harpoon731 »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

The pilot will carry them and throw them out as needed. The ultimate off-bore shoot.
I actually LOL'd at this. My co worker is glaring at me now.
Former F-15E Crew Chief
renders

Post by renders »

The new design features 16 air-to-air weapons, doubling the number currently available on the jet. To accommodate the additional weaponry, the new design alters the location of the fuel tanks.
harpoon731

Post by harpoon731 »

I reread that, going to be an interesting concept.
Former F-15E Crew Chief

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”