Questions

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

RE: Questions

Post by ernieschwitz »

My pleasure :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

I noticed however, a curious bug, it seems the VP value necessary for each scenario is hardcoded, so the game is resulting in premature victory, because the amount of VP´s for each regime was increased, thus exceeding the necessary for a victory. I´m not sure how I could fix it.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Hmmmm...curious, the VP is really hardcoded, it changes when you create the map, so, in theory, you could just change it when the map is created, but I would like to see how I can avoid this.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Curious, indeed...Let me go back to the drawing board, for a few...

EDIT: I looked at a few things, made a small change here and there... and i think it did it.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Please consider doing a short tutorial so the rest of us can learn how to do this. Thanks...
ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Curious, indeed...Let me go back to the drawing board, for a few...

EDIT: I looked at a few things, made a small change here and there... and i think it did it.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Unfortunately, ernie´s fix didn´t work. It seems there is a hardcoded feature. VP needed for victory are calculated from 80% of total VP given for each map size (this value is fixed too). So you need, for instance, 14VP for small maps, 32 VP for large maps and 134 VP for unplayably large maps. When you create a map using ernie´s code, you have an increase in total VP, but VP needed for a victory is still the same. It is close to 50% of total VP. So, this bug affects only 2 player games (to some extent three player games) and it becomes less important as the number of players increase. It can easily be fixed by changing the number of VP´s needed for victory in the setting screen, after you create the map. So, considering how ernie´s code resulted in a improvement in city diversity and also resulted on more realistic countries (from demographics POV, and considering the manpower calculation I´m using), then I´m ready to live with this bug, but I think that, in random maps, there should be a way to set victory conditions as a % of total VP.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Here is a table of total VP (mod) and VP need to win (Bombur mod) and map size

Map size Total VP (Bombur mod) VP to win (%)
Small 33 14 (42%)
Medium 58 22 (38%)
Large 103 38 (36,8%)
X-Large 186 59 (31,7%)
XX-Large 382 121 (31,6%)
Unp. Large 508 163 (32%)

So it seems the bug is worse than I estimated, but also very easy to fix. Now I must understand if these values are reproductible, and if they are related to map variables (these values are for 2 player games and map with no water)
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Well, for 2 player small maps it seems we have always 14 points to win and 33 total VP
Hmmm, when we have a 5 player small map, then VP to win increases to 24, while total VP increases to 45-49 (I found some variability in total points but VP for victory seems to be fixed). So I see no trouble with a 5 player game in a small map.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

For different numbers of players in a small map, we have different VP to win, and more total VP, so the bug becomes less and less serious as the number of players increase
For 3 players in a small map, always 19 VP, for 40-45 total VP
For 5 players in a small map, always 24 VP, for 45-50 total VP
Total VP is variable (probaly due to modding) but VP to win is a fixed value
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well, I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. Meaning you have several options at your disposal.

1). Don't let VPs be tied to cities, in another way than the random map lets it, and instead tie manpower to city location types.

2). Ask Vic to make an ExecSetWinningVP, where the input could be a percentage of the total on map VPs, and then use it in a pre-event (like any event pre-executed by event 1).

3). Ask Vic to make the VPWin calculation after pre-event has been executed (the Pre-event is defined by rulevar in case anyone was wondering).

So there you have at least 3 options for a course of action. Of course, one of them only requires someone to do the coding, and that could be anyone, in theory, while the other two requires Vics attention.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Don't forget to set the new cities up for production, that includes giving them the ability to produce the types of Units.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Well, I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. Meaning you have several options at your disposal.

-I own two cats....they didn´t like this comparison[:D]
1). Don't let VPs be tied to cities, in another way than the random map lets it, and instead tie manpower to city location types.

-A good fix, althought I like to have bigger cities with more VP. Trouble is that this code is too sophisticated to me (that´s why I tied it to pp). Howver, a fried of mine knows how to do it[;)]
2). Ask Vic to make an ExecSetWinningVP, where the input could be a percentage of the total on map VPs, and then use it in a pre-event (like any event pre-executed by event 1).

-And it would be a good addition to the random scenario creator too

3). Ask Vic to make the VPWin calculation after pre-event has been executed (the Pre-event is defined by rulevar in case anyone was wondering).

-But I found no rulevar

There is of course, a fourth option. I can simply allow the players to set the number of VP necessary for a victory, it takes less than 30 seconds to do so, and it allows more flexibility (you can the VP to 50% or 66% of total VP, for instance, while the editor uses a fixed 80%).
Considering all the alternatives, I would take 1 or 4.....

Bombur

Post by Bombur »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Don't forget to set the new cities up for production, that includes giving them the ability to produce the types of Units.

Already done
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hey guys,

Yes the VP assignment by the random algorithm is indeed fixed. 4vp for capitals and 1vp for other cities.

Basically at the moment you need to work with that given fact.

But for the future, when DC Barbarossa coding madness dies down a bit, I could add some checks and execs to help modders.

However I am toying with a complete make-over of the random generation at some point. Ideally I would like it to be completely run from a scripted basis, instead of being hardcoded and allowing modders to set their own generation options screen.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

Actually, it was not difficult to change VP for each country. It is simple code (for ernie´s standards, of course). What we can´t change, without doing a manual edit, is the number of VP´s needed to victory, in random maps.

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”