What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

radic202

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: Orm
ORIGINAL: radic202

ORIGINAL: Orm

I am currently reading The Ill-Made Knight by Christian Cameron.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/372/dp/14091375 ... 1437901669

Orm: How is this, I was looking at giving it a try but I prefer Fantasy above all, is this strictly Historical Fiction, is this Adult themed, Dark themed, First person or Third person POV? Anything you could add to help me make a decision my Friend.

Thanks in advance,

Now if Only Part 3 of "the Passage, the Twelve" would come out???
I liked it.

It is a fictionalized account of a historical character, William Gold, that wants to become a English Knight and in his struggle to become one eventually joins mercenaries in order to support himself.

The perspective of the book is a sort of narrative. The main character, now an old, experienced, English Knight, tells his story to a young gentleman while they sit in a inn. At first I had some difficulty getting used to this but after a while I really enjoyed it.

It is about the fighting in France during the hundred years war and then in Italy. It is a historical fiction but in some ways it feels like a fantasy novel. There is a darkness in the book but it was a tough, dark, time. France has been ravaged by the war. Many small skirmishes between the major battles and they have an authentic feel about them.

I really look forward to reading the next part of the life and adventures of Sir William Gold.

Here is what Wikipedia says about the books:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian ... lry_Series

Thanks my Friend, it is next on my reading list. Much appreciated!
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
reg113

Post by reg113 »

"King's Deception" of the Cotton Malone series by Steve Barry
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Decisions, decisions. What next?

Choice between Mussolini (Hibbert) or Making Sense of the Troubles (McKittrick and McVea)

I think I may go for the latter - something different.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Had started Alan Guelzo's "Gettysburg: The Last Invasion" but got irritated that there was no list of the numerous maps and just as annoying was the absence of one map showing the full campaign theatre (instead it was shown in a number of separate smaller maps).

That prompted me to go back to and reread Stephen Sears' Gettsburg - an excellent account, with a proper list of maps, fewer than Guelzo's but they include a superb and well annotated theatre map that is repeated several times showing the changing positions. So good that I didn't need to refer to a couple of atlas' of the campaign that I have.

Guelzo will have to wait (again) as I'll be reading my latest "Plenty of Blame to Go Around" by Wittenburg and Pretuzzi on Jeb Stuart's contribution or lack of.
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Choice between Mussolini (Hibbert) or Making Sense of the Troubles (McKittrick and McVea)

warspite1

Well that didn't pan out.

I was in Waterstones - not meaning to buy a book - just killing time. But my eyes were drawn to a title that I had to check out.

The Devil's Alliance Hitler's pact with Stalin 1939-41 (Roger Moorhouse)

10 seconds later the decision was made. I bought it without checking reviews (always dangerous).

Wow - turns out to have been a good decision. It's totally unputdownable [:)]

Eambar

Post by Eambar »

The Kills by Richard House.

About 200 pages in and it's a good read, keeps you guessing. Big novel at 1000+ pages, it will be interesting to see if it can maintain the story.

Cheers,
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Stonewall Goes West by R E Thomas.

First of a trilogy of what promises to be an entertaining alternate history series. Stonewall Jackson, loses his arm but survives and returns to service after Gettysburg, and after an initial return to Lee's army is sent to take command in the West. The author has put maps on his website so they can be downloaded or printed off.
reg113

Post by reg113 »

Clancy "Hunt for Red October"
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Six Frigates - Ian Toll

Half way through and its maybe one of my favorite history texts of all time already. Covers the founding and early campaigns of the post-Revolution U.S. Navy. Goes into detail regarding every facet of the topic, along with all sorts of historical anecdotes. Stuff like Thomas Jefferson riding around the wilderness that Washington DC was in 1800, the issue of dueling among the junior officers getting out of hand, numerous journal entries and letters from those involved. Great stuff!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

I was in Waterstones - not meaning to buy a book - just killing time. But my eyes were drawn to a title that I had to check out.

10 seconds later the decision was made. I bought it without checking reviews (always dangerous).

warspite1

On to the last chapter of this book - and will finish off tonight. A very, very good tome - could have done with more on the circumstances that surrounded the Romanians and Hungarians throwing their lot in with Adolf, but that is only a small criticism.

In anticipation of finishing this this evening I took Mussolini to work. One chapter in and I have to say.... what a thoroughly repugnant chap

Orm

Post by Orm »

Snigger... He said chap... fnarr, fnarr.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Books: Having completed the "Galactic Milieu" saga by Julian Maye, I have been impelled to go back to the beginning of her extended story by re-reading the "Saga of the Pliocene Exile" beginning with "The Many Colored Land"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Many-Colored_Land

I originally read this back in the 1980's courtesy of the public library so I don't own a paperback copy but always remembered them fondly. It is kind of rare for me to re-read books... with all of the new stuff being published it seems like my priority should be with "new" reading. I am so intrigued by the newer books that I just finished that I can't help myself... gotta see how my knowledge of the successor novels will explain all the references to the future included in this series. That's quite a tribute to an author's work from me! [&o]

In other news: I spent the last few nights with my copies of the AH Great Campaigns of the Civil War series of games, carefully reading "the game as history" sections of the individual manuals and then tracking every historical move on the game maps. I now have a much better understanding of Jackson's Valley Campaign, Second Manassas Campaign, and the Antietam campaign. Had to do it carefully as the games are in "mint" condition. Tonight I'm moving on to Chancellorsville and then Gettysburg (the only one that has been punched and played, but minimally). It is really interesting to track unit movements on a scale of 1 Hex = 1 Mile. Multi_Man Publishing has the rights to these games and are planning on some expansions into the Western Theater. I know they did a reissue of the original games at one point, but those no longer seem to be available so I guess I have some valuable collector's items. I never got the last two games in the series ("On to Richmond" - Peninsula Campaign and "Grant Takes Command" - Wilderness to Petersburg).

http://www.gcacw.com/
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

'Islands of Destiny' by John Prados about the Solomons campaign.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

warspite1

On to the last chapter of this book - and will finish off tonight. A very, very good tome - could have done with more on the circumstances that surrounded the Romanians and Hungarians throwing their lot in with Adolf, but that is only a small criticism.

In anticipation of finishing this this evening I took Mussolini to work. One chapter in and I have to say.... what a thoroughly repugnant chap
warspite1

I have to say Mussolini has been a very good read. Half way through - better get a move on as next its....

....No Room For Mistakes (Geirr H Haarr)

Can't wait!!!

Koniev 2

Post by Koniev 2 »

Currently on the 4th volume of "War For The Union" by Allen Nevins. A little light on the military side but containing voluminous and thoroughly researched information on the economic and political side.
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it" George Santayana
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

More or less back to business [8D]

I read Stalingrad - The Turning Point by Geoffrey Jukes

And I am almost finishing Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl. The first time I read this uber famous book.

I found this site which shows the hiding in 3d:

http://www.annefrank.org/en/Subsites/Home/
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

The Line Upon A Wind "The Great War At Sea 1793-1815" Noel Mostert... A very good read so far but it has some strange sentence structures at times.
Rod T DeMore
nelmsm1

Post by nelmsm1 »

Thunder on the Danube: Napoleon's Defeat of the Habsburg, Volume I
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Coincidentally, Napoleon at Dresden, by Nafziger.

Return to “General Discussion”