2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Riitaoja

RE: 2by3 to publish Steel Tigers

Post by Riitaoja »

This is of course pure speculation on my part but I think they are still at the very beginning of the project. They are probably working on the new Archon game engine and thinking about the core game mechanics. Be patient maybe we will get some more info by the end of the year.
JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

ORIGINAL: Ratzki

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis

Here's a good reference for a 50m hex.
It was taken from AH Tobruk (the original) which used 75m hexes (IIRC).
Years ago I edited it by drawing a 50m hex over it and removing the 75m.

Image[/img]

I think that 25m+/- would work well, at least for WW2.
Agreed, 25m hex size would be large enough for any size squad. With an intelligent routine for stacking limits it should be a good improvement. The big draw for me toward 25m hexes is that the terrain & building graphics can be more realistically sized to match the tanks & squads AND give even better detail because it will be zoomed in 2x over what we currently have in SP:WaW.
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
Riitaoja

Post by Riitaoja »

Bump!
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

This is quite honestly the only game I'm looking forward to.
fmonster

Post by fmonster »

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

This is quite honestly the only game I'm looking forward to.

This is the first game that I have looked forward to in over a decade! Bring it on! [8D]
Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

The biggest problem I had (have) with the spin-off SPWaW and SP Modern is the turn resolution lasts forever. So people tell me to play small battles [:)]

Shouldn't be an issue with today's hardware. Even the older HPS games fly on "fast AI" setting.

OT for a moment, but my wish biggest this Christmas besides peace on Earth: all HPS games are converted to new Panzer Battles Normandy graphics standards!
mllange

Post by mllange »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

The biggest problem I had (have) with the spin-off SPWaW and SP Modern is the turn resolution lasts forever. So people tell me to play small battles [:)]

Shouldn't be an issue with today's hardware. Even the older HPS games fly on "fast AI" setting.

OT for a moment, but my wish biggest this Christmas besides peace on Earth: all HPS games are converted to new Panzer Battles Normandy graphics standards!

Speaking of which, what do you think of Panzer Battles Normandy? The scale (250 meters / hex) is a far cry from Steel Panthers (50 meters / hex) and the Campaign Series with the 250 m/hex scale just next quite scratched the same tactical itch as SP:WaW.
There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

To my understanding, Steel Panthers game closest to Panzer Campaigns and JTCS is SP3: Brigade Command. For any other Steel Panthers game HPS/John Tiller game of comparison is Squad Battles.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
acctingman1969

Post by acctingman1969 »

Is there even a guess on a release time? 2016? 2017?

Looking forward to getting HoI 4, but if this game is anything like Steel Panthers (meaning we'll have access to every WW2 nations ToE's, that will be awesome!)

Thanks
hellfish6

Post by hellfish6 »

What I hope that they keep in mind when developing the game is that Steel Panther was great (IMHO) because it allowed me to play the game I wanted to play. I could make a force and take it through campaigns as I saw fit. It was intensely replayable. I hope that whatever gets extruded from the Steel Panthers into Steel Tigers, the replayability gets squeezed into the new game. The ability to make my own units, fight on generated (or historical) battlefields against historical (or Red/Green/Blue) enemy forces are what I'm looking for.

Slide off whatever content you want into the DLCs and I'll buy them as long as I can take my mixed Char 2C battalion into the fight against the Germans (or Soviets or Spanish or English or whomever I want to fight against).
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja
ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
...I want randomized everything, scenario's and campaign's...

Actually I seldom played the random battles or campaigns in any Steel Panthers games. I always prefered the premade ones that followed some historic story and had nicely made maps with the AI deployed in a sensible way.

The random battles on the other hand just had a fairly dull looking procedurally generated map with often silly placement of roads and bridges. Also the AI would just throw it's units on the map and place AT guns in thick forest and do all sorts of other silly things like that with its units. [:)]

That said random battle generator is ofcourse still an easy way to quickly add more content to a new game. Making good custom scenarios and campaigns takes alot of time.

I have always preferred the random battles to everything else. Keep them quick and bloody, keep important realism features like Command Control and Rarity, improve random map generator and AI and I will be perfectly happy! [:)]
sIg3b

Post by sIg3b »

ORIGINAL: Zap

+1 All theaters in one package equal to comprehensive SPWAW

+1 All *Western* theatres in one package, at the least.

If they leave the Pacific theatre to an expansion, I guess I can live with it.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

What I hope that they keep in mind when developing the game is that Steel Panther was great (IMHO) because it allowed me to play the game I wanted to play. I could make a force and take it through campaigns as I saw fit. It was intensely replayable. I hope that whatever gets extruded from the Steel Panthers into Steel Tigers, the replayability gets squeezed into the new game. The ability to make my own units, fight on generated (or historical) battlefields against historical (or Red/Green/Blue) enemy forces are what I'm looking for.

Slide off whatever content you want into the DLCs and I'll buy them as long as I can take my mixed Char 2C battalion into the fight against the Germans (or Soviets or Spanish or English or whomever I want to fight against).

+1 to all of this. If there's one thing that drives me crazy about the Combat Mission games is how they have compartmentalized things so much. If I want to have Soviets fighting Americans in Italy using equipment from different time periods, I should be able to! I paid my money for all of those things yet they are roped off from each other.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
ORIGINAL: **budd**

I hope they stay with the top down look. I have every confidence in 2x3.

I hope they don't. [:'(] I have every confidence in 2x3. (I'm really hoping for the Battle Academy look)

I'm hoping the HIGH quality VISUAL look gave it away. [:)]

Just out of curiousity, what is wrong with Rising Sun?

Jason Petho

What isn't? Here's the short list:

1. Yellow Tanks? (they could have used the bases and put the real color of tanks and other units for the Japs.

2. Everything way too small. It was almost like playing a Close Combat game which I don't for that exact reason.

3. Movement too slow (two hexes a turn for the inf? it takes forever to get into the action)

4. Cricket sound was annoying and terrible.

5. Takes too long for the engagements to start in random battles. Especially with that 2 hex movement of inf. front lines should have been 2 to 3 turns apart no more than 5.

6. Had to click every side exchange in an AI vs AI match just trying to watch how a game plays in the beginning. It's still annoying in a regular game when it's the AI's turn. If I click end turn it should be end turn and I don't have to click for the AI to start moving.

7. Too many units to move in a regiment vs regiment battle the smallest battle in the game and it took forever to finish just my turn let alone watching the ai move in a non-fog game.

8. AI generally braindead like most Tiller games.

Mostly it just looked and played like a toy soldiers in a sandbox. Too small icons and too long for a turn to pass.

What else would you like to know? [:)]
I almost hate to say this... but I really don't.

aaa it looks like you don't want a Steel Panthers game at all!
You keep describing something else altogether.
You obviously have not read much from AAA he doesn't like much of anything that has already been done and has stated he does not like historical games either.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
hazxan

Post by hazxan »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Now,

About Age of Rifles....

Best wishes,
Steve

This. *100
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Any more news on this game?
wodin

Post by wodin »

I think any news is still abit into the future..still I too am waiting patiently!! Sort of..
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

when they make it,

and it's ready

i'll sign up for the beta

[&o][&o][&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

Colour me sceptical.
Until there's some tangible proof I can't invest in this.

All we've had is words, I need action!!!!

Tease Me, show me sumpthin!

MM
Click below. You know you want to!!

Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Almost 2 years since the announcement? And no word at all?

Return to “General Discussion”