land movement

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

afspret

land movement

Post by afspret »

Is there something hard coded that prevents Burmese & Chinese LCUs from moving by road? I modified some of these units by unrestricting them & their HQs (or switching to an unrestricted HQ) and adding motorized support. The problem is some of these units still have Strategic Move greyed out and, for those that don't, when I click on a destination I get a message telling me that movement is not allowed.
John E. McCallum
witpqs

RE: land movement

Post by witpqs »

Strategic road movement is only available for certain nationalities.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Adding motorized support, despite the name, doesn't make units that are otherwise restricted by nationality from strat-road movement, do strat-road movement. Motorized Support actually acts in an equivalent manner to Support, except it's harder to move by ship due to load size, and harder to unload at unimproved ports. It was put into the game mostly to make things harder for the Allies per old posts by a leading dev, Symon.
The Moose
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Adding motorized support, despite the name, doesn't make units that are otherwise restricted by nationality from strat-road movement, do strat-road movement. Motorized Support actually acts in an equivalent manner to Support, except it's harder to move by ship due to load size, and harder to unload at unimproved ports. It was put into the game mostly to make things harder for the Allies per old posts by a leading dev, Symon.

I'm pretty sure, not positive, that it does work the other way around though.

Just being a nationality that CAN use strategic road movement doesn't make it happen for any given LCU unless it actually has motorized support or inherently motorized devices like tanks and armored cars.
Hans

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Just being a nationality that CAN use strategic road movement doesn't make it happen for any given LCU unless it actually has motorized support or inherently motorized devices like tanks and armored cars.
Not so. Strictly by nationality. The actual device(s) doesn't matter.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Just tested it and I was correct in my recollection. I have the C Det USN Port Svc unit at Portland trying to move to Tilamook for a squad of zepplins that arrived there. The unit refuses to accept a move order in strat mode. The move can only be made in move mode. The unit has no motor transport.
Hans

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

IIRC the USN is on the "NO" list for strategic road movement. That would be the reason, not the lack of motor transport.

The motor transport issue was brought up and covered a long time ago by developers. Basically, there is no such thing as a motor transport device in the game, regardless of how any device is named. Motor transport is assumed for devices that are ARM type as depicted in their faster movement rates (except in certain bad terrain). Also, some nationalities' units are capable of strategic road movement via using an abstracted pool of wheeled motorized transport.

The motorized transport for strategic road movement is abstracted in the same manner as the transport network that allows pilots and various commanders to move around when assigned or reassigned. It is just presumed to be there as part of the game mechanics.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Ahem.....USN is NOT a nationality.

You've been obsfucating. [:D]
Hans

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I believe USMC Divisions cant use strat road mode.

And yes, the USMC is a Nationality!
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Ahem.....USN is NOT a nationality.

You've been obsfucating. [:D]
I often awake obfuscated. That's what coffee is for! [:D]

But alas, that item of game terminology does not mirror real life. And the phrasing is not exactly consistent.

The list of game nationalities.
• US Navy
• US Army
• US Marines
• Australian
• NewZealand
• British
• French
• Dutch
• Chinese
• Soviet
• Indian
• Commonwealth
• Philippines
• Canada

Here is a clip from the ground units screen (hotkey 'g'). Should be the same list for air units and for ships. Abbreviations of these are used in various places in the game, too.

Attachments
Nationalities.jpg
Nationalities.jpg (22.48 KiB) Viewed 44 times
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Since the Kiwis, Aussies and Indians all have distinct "Nationalities" does that mean that Commonwealth only applies to the Malasians(sp?) and Burmese?
Hans

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Since the Kiwis, Aussies and Indians all have distinct "Nationalities" does that mean that Commonwealth only applies to the Malasians(sp?) and Burmese?
I have no idea. I only see indirect references in the form of units names and device names. Many of the units with 'Burma' names and Burmese squads are Indian units. The various units I see with 'African' in the name are Commonwealth. I recall that there are Commonwealth units that presented no clues to go on.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Devices are not classified into nationalities.  However units are classified into nationalities.  In scenario 1, the Lushai Bde is classified as a Commonwealth unit even though it contains "Indian" infantry squads and "British" combat engineers.

The Commonwealth nationality is a catch all group to cover the left over British Empire units which are not classified British, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian or Indian.  Generally this means units raised in

• Africa
  • Burma
  • Malaya
  • Indian "maharaja" (equipped with ISF squads)
will be classified as Commonwealth.

Alfred
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Apparently any unit can use strategic movement if it is of the correct nationality.
British and US units - and many of the Commonwealth nations (eg. Australia, Canada,
etc) but not all (e.g. Commonwealth as a nation).

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”