Check this Supply Situation Out

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Grotius

RE: Check this Supply Situation Out

Post by Grotius »

I've also loaded the save Paine posted in his post #3 in this thread. I'm having more trouble figuring out what's going on here. This one does look like it might be a bug.

First, is Rydz in supply? His status dot is green, and when I mouseover him, it says he has an HQ supply link. But when I right click and choose "Supply Sources and Paths," then filter for OOS, he's listed as OOS.

He's also listed now as a secondary source, whereas he was tertiary in the first save. Why is that?

Now, if he is a secondary source, then he should be able to trace a railway supply path to a primary source: 2 hexes over desert to the rail, rail to Jaffa port (3rd hex), then overseas to primary. So I think he should be in supply, shouldn't he?

But the game seems to think he's out of supply, and when I select him in the 'trace path' form, all six units trying to draw from him are OOS. Thus I think the issue is not cooperation, but rather that the game thinks Rydz is OOS -- even though his status supply dot is dark green.

So this one DOES look like a bug to me.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

The "tertiary" source status is something Steve introduced when writing the supply routines. I confess I've never understood how or why it works or is needed, but I accept it was necessary for the way Steve wanted to program Supply.

From the boardgame point of view, all secondary sources need to trace to primary sources (either via a basic or a RR path) OR a basic path to another secondary source and from there to another, etc, as long as the last secondary in the chain can trace to a primary. The unit tracing supply is the one to be considered for cooperation and it must cooperate with all secondary sources used if there's a chain of them. But all HQs are secondary sources and Rydz is "CW for all purposes", so Rydz cooperates with US units. Rydz should be checked for a direst path to a primary first, and in both cases here, he has one.

Zartacla's post is likely a good theory of the problem here. Personally, I don't recall seeing this type of supply bug before.
Paul
BrianJH

Post by BrianJH »

Is this really a bug?

A quick read of the supply rules I see this:-

"If the unit can’t trace a supply path directly to a primary supply source, it can trace it via one or more secondary supply sources instead."

This implies that a unit must try a Basic supply path to a primary supply source first, and only if one does not exist, it then tries secondary supply sources. A corollary would therefore be, that if a unit can trace a Basic supply path to a Primary supply source, then that is the units supply source, and it cannot choose a secondary supply source.

If this is the case, then MWIF would appear to be implemented correctly as that is the way that it appears to be working.

Brian.

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Rydz is actually able to trace a basic path to both the UK or to India in both cases, as well...

In any case your reading of the rule is overly restrictive. Every supply path that can possibly work - should work.

Paul
palne

Post by palne »

FYI: Z HQ is NOT a cooperating power... it is a UK unit. Per the rules:

All the Polish units covered by this rule are treated as British for all
purposes. [/quote]
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Just to let everyone know, I have added this to my task list as a bug.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Tech Support”