Another River Exploit

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Lobster

Another River Exploit

Post by Lobster »

The change in how the game perceives rivers and roads in the same hex is very welcome. No longer will we see stretches of road and rail destroyed simply because the road and river occupy the same hex. An A+ for this effort.

However, there still exists an exploit when a river and a road occupy the same hex. It is entirely possible for a unit to move into such a hex and use that simple fact to use the road as a bridge whether or not the road crosses the river. In effect the road nullifies any river crossing movement penalties.

Currently a unit is assessed a movement point penalty upon entering a river hex unless it is on a road. It would be more effective if the movement point penalty were applied when a unit left a river hex unless the hex side is crossed by a road. A more simple but less effective solution would be, unless the hex moved into contained a road.

Also, the penalty for moving along a river should be fixed so that a unit moving from river to adjacent river hex is not penalized for doing so.

These are two movement exploits and 'bugs' that have haunted TOAW since it's inception. Wouldn't now be the time to fix these since a new release is imminent?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Curtis Lemay

RE: Another River Exploit

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Currently a unit is assessed a movement point penalty upon entering a river hex unless it is on a road. It would be more effective if the movement point penalty were applied when a unit left a river hex unless the hex side is crossed by a road.

That just replaces one problem for another. Then units would have to pay the river penalty to exit even if they are exiting on the same side of the river as the road was on. To fix this requires another matrix that would encode the valid exit paths for each combination of river and road. I haven't got that one done yet.
Also, the penalty for moving along a river should be fixed so that a unit moving from river to adjacent river hex is not penalized for doing so.

No. There would be no way to know that the unit wasn't crossing the river in the process. Without a road, the river hex has to be treated as an area feature.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
76mm

Post by 76mm »

or of course avoid these issues by using hex-side rivers...
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

or of course avoid these issues by using hex-side rivers...

Of course there are about 1100 existing scenarios that use river hexes that wouldn't be helped by that one bit.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Dunno. I think I'm liking the river in the hex. The rivers can better reflect where they are in the real world. And Bob is hard at work fixing the bad things. So I'm good with it. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”