Submarines killing trains in the pacific...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rising-Sun

RE: Submarines killing trains in the pacific...

Post by Rising-Sun »

That one lucky shot with torpedoes taken out that train.
Sheytan

Post by Sheytan »

Hehe no doubt, it was actually a demo mission if I recall correctly.
ORIGINAL: RisingSun

That one lucky shot with torpedoes taken out that train.
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Reminds me of Operation Petticoat .....
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

American sub claims like American aircraft kills were highly exaggerated. It is probably likely that Barb did not kill half of the ships claimed. When matched with official Japanese records after the war actual sunk ships were probably about half of the actual claims and credit given during the war. I suppose it was good for morale and fostered confidence and aggression to allow sailors to brag a little bit. I doubt that once one of those symbols went up on the conning tower that it would ever come down for any reason.

Just got through re reading about the Guadalcanal campaign and the actual Japanese aircraft losses compared to the claims of the Marine and Navy aviators over Lunga ran to about 1 to 3. Japanese pilots were even worse in inflating their claims. But most of it was not due to a lack of truthfulness, it was just the speed and stress of combat created confusion. The naval battles were the worst with American and Japanese sailors claiming torpedo hits every time they saw a gun flash. Except some of the Japanese torpedoes actually hit and exploded. [;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

American sub claims like American aircraft kills were highly exaggerated. It is probably likely that Barb did not kill half of the ships claimed. When matched with official Japanese records after the war actual sunk ships were probably about half of the actual claims and credit given during the war. I suppose it was good for morale and fostered confidence and aggression to allow sailors to brag a little bit. I doubt that once one of those symbols went up on the conning tower that it would ever come down for any reason.

Just got through re reading about the Guadalcanal campaign and the actual Japanese aircraft losses compared to the claims of the Marine and Navy aviators over Lunga ran to about 1 to 3. Japanese pilots were even worse in inflating their claims. But most of it was not due to a lack of truthfulness, it was just the speed and stress of combat created confusion. The naval battles were the worst with American and Japanese sailors claiming torpedo hits every time they saw a gun flash. Except some of the Japanese torpedoes actually hit and exploded. [;)]

Normally I'd totally agree with you. But not to long before his death RADM Fluckey became regular visiting author at the Navy Memorial book shop and I got to know him pretty well. I don't think I've ever got to a man that radiated integrity more than Gene Flucky. Nor after reading his accounts and those of others do I think I ever met a Crazier man (doing some of the thing he did while on Barb). So if no other reason that loyalty I'll need to take issue with you. [:)] Sorry. [:D]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Denniss

Reminds me of Operation Petticoat .....

"We sank a truck!" [:D]

It appears the train was taken out by a landing party of commandos. Quite the daring mission, considering.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

It appears the train was taken out by a landing party of commandos. Quite the daring mission, considering.
Yes, that's what he did. Got yelled at back home for that too.[:-]

It's better to ask forgiveness than permission.
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

The train raid was done by highly motivated, but regular sailors.
Certainly not any kind of special ops/ commando forces
spence

Post by spence »

IIRC a UBoat in WW1 torpedoed a freighter with a deck cargo of a railroad locomotives, one of which was blown sky high by the torpedo hit...and subsequently landed ON THE UBOAT and sank that ship as well.

Not exactly the anticipated result of "unrestricted submarine warfare".
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

JANAC approved figures for USS Barb

17 Ships for 96,628 tons.
12th in the list fir ships sunk, 3rd for tonnage.

Barb was fitted out with a 5" Rocket launcher and bombarded Shikuka and other towns on Sakhalin Is and Hokkaido.

As mentioned, the train was taken out by a demolitian squad.

SILENT VICTORY
Clay Blair jnr.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Normally I'd totally agree with you. But not to long before his death RADM Fluckey became regular visiting author at the Navy Memorial book shop and I got to know him pretty well. I don't think I've ever got to a man that radiated integrity more than Gene Flucky. Nor after reading his accounts and those of others do I think I ever met a Crazier man (doing some of the thing he did while on Barb). So if no other reason that loyalty I'll need to take issue with you. [:)] Sorry. [:D]

I recall that after the war even O'Kane's confirmed kills were reduced by about 1/3. After they gained access to Japanese sources.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Richard H O'Kane
Wartime Credits 31 ships for 227,800 tons
JANAC credits 24 ships for 93,824 tons

JANAC admit their numbers are not perfect due to lack of japanese records but are the best numbers with the tools available at the time 1943-47.

Again from Silent Victory.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

I remember this being very comprehensive and in my HS library -
http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Sub ... ns+in+WWII

But I can critique better now and haven't seen it in almost 40 years.
Bill Goin
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I read it about 30 years ago. It remember it as being very thorough, though a bit dry in places because it covered every patrol of every submarine of any note.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

ORIGINAL: wegman58

I remember this being very comprehensive and in my HS library -
http://www.amazon.com/United-States-Sub ... ns+in+WWII

But I can critique better now and haven't seen it in almost 40 years.

Somewhere in the deep recesses of my stored book boxes, I have the paperback version of the Submarine and Destroyer books. Don't ask me where - this parsonage is about 60 the size of the last, and some of our boxes have been stored full.

There are still some incredible stories about the exploits of small ships in WWII... and being an old tincan sailor - I can understand. Guys (and now girls) who ride cans are a strange bunch!
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”