Editing SAL files

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Meyer1

Editing SAL files

Post by Meyer1 »

Is it possible for single player .sal files?. I think not, but can't hurt to ask.
sPzAbt653

RE: Editing SAL files

Post by sPzAbt653 »

If I remember correctly, you change the '.sal' to '.sce' and then you can open it in the editor and make changes. If this doesn't work, let me know and I'll figure out the proper steps.

This isn't really for playing as the conversion doesn't adjust all the scenario parameters, but it can come in handy for fixing immediate problems.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

Thanks Steve, that actually worked in the game editor (unfortunately not in the "scenario editor beta"). I was thinking that would come handy to make changes in the OOB during mid-game, mostly regarding changing formation attachments, but I suspect that is not possible without screwing up other things?
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Yeah, it doesn't work well enough to allow 'mid-game adjustments'. For example, it will change Turn 1 to the Current Game Turn, which messes up a lot of stuff.

Edit: What is the 'scenario editor beta' ? I'm curious because you said it worked in one place but not in another.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

OK then... I'll stop dreaming. Maybe will be possible in IV

Thanks for the info.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Edit: What is the 'scenario editor beta' ? I'm curious because you said it worked in one place but not in another.

This program, check thread tm.asp?m=2697934&mpage=1&key=&#2711805

I'm sure you knew this.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Oh yeah, Parmenio's program. It should have a more formal name than that !
golden delicious

Post by golden delicious »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Yeah, it doesn't work well enough to allow 'mid-game adjustments'. For example, it will change Turn 1 to the Current Game Turn, which messes up a lot of stuff.

This is not actually that much of a problem.

The interesting this is that the .sce and .sal file formats are essentially the same, and a lot more stuff is preserved between them than you might think. I'd be curious to see whether an event on a delay trigger would still activate if, in the meantime, you opened the scenario in the editor. I suspect it would- but on the original turn number.

Anyway, I've opened and re-used .sal files in the editor frequently for the purpose of creating linked scenarios for a campaign. This is fine as there are no events, replacements or reinforcements due after the scenario is cut off anyway.
"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”