[AWAITING FEEDBACK] Crash when selecting scenario to load

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

xenophanes

[AWAITING FEEDBACK] Crash when selecting scenario to load

Post by xenophanes »

Hi,

when starting Command.exe directly and not via Steam and the Launcher, Command reports an error on selecting a scenario to load. (When selecting a scenario to start (Start New Scenario), Command says that it isn't licensed. Hmm.) I'm not quite sure if this way of starting Command is intended, but since the manual says "Start command by either clicking on the Desktop Shortcut or on the Command.EXE file in the Command folder.", I thought I'd give it a try.

The crash only occurs when clicking on a save in the "Saved Games" tab, not when clicking on a scenario in the "Scenario" tab.

Translation of the exception description: "The object reference was not set to a valid instance."

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
crash.zip
(11.47 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
mikmykWS

RE: Crash when selecting scenario to load

Post by mikmykWS »

This was at the top of every beta release post
IMPORTANT NOTE: Because of changes in the way that the program checks for a valid license, if you have not actually installed Command on your current OS (e.g. re-installed the OS after installing Command or copied the entire installation folder from another PC etc.) you may get an "insufficient license" warning when attempting to load a scenario. If this is the case then re-install Command. If the problem persists after a proper installation please contact us immediately through PM/email. Thanks!

Did you try reinstalling command?

If so and you still have the issue please let us know

Thanks!

Mike
xenophanes

Post by xenophanes »

Hi Mike,

I should have been clearer: the problem is not the insufficient license report, but rather the crash due to an unhandled exception that occurs when attempting to load the scenario.

Thanks for your help!
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Ok just so I'm clear. Steam version but you're not on line. Any save from the save game folder or just one specific save?

Sorry for all the questions but if there is an issue want to resolve it.

Mike
xenophanes

Post by xenophanes »

Yep, Steam version, but starting Command.exe directly. It occurs with every save, but only when loading a save, not when starting a new scenario.
I did indeed move Command from my HDD to my SDD (I only do that with really good games! [:)]), using the regular Steam moving method: move the Game folder, delete local cache, and reinstall on the SSD. But since I'm not getting any errors when starting Command directly, I guess the issue is not caused by the move.

Sorry for the delay, but I'm not home right now. This isn't a game-breaker anyway, so I guess I will cleanly reinstall Command when I get back and if the crash persists, I'll inform you.
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Has this been fixed in B744?

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
xenophanes

Post by xenophanes »

I haven't reinstalled Command yet, but the problem persists in B744. Will reinstall now.
xenophanes

Post by xenophanes »

Hmm. I reinstalled Command v1.08 (through Steam: delete local files and install again). In v1.08, I could launch Command.exe directly without any problems, neither the crash nor the "not licensed" error. After applying the v1.09 RC11 (B746) patch, I always get the "not licensed" error when launching Command directly (there are no problems launching through Steam).
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Can you describe this in greater detail? Do you launch Command and get the no-license pop-up without any other action on your part? Please provide a very detailed step by step. Remember, we're not looking over your shoulder so you will have to be precise in your description. Thanks!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: xenophane
I did indeed move Command from my HDD to my SDD (I only do that with really good games! [:)]), using the regular Steam moving method: move the Game folder, delete local cache, and reinstall on the SSD. But since I'm not getting any errors when starting Command directly, I guess the issue is not caused by the move.
This may be the culprit. If your run Command in Steam mode, you _MUST_ run it within the Steamapps/common folder path.
xenophanes

Post by xenophanes »

Hi Sunburn,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly - so it's impossible to launch Command directly (not via Steam) if you bought/installed Command via Steam? Or do you mean having moved Command might cause the issue? Since I cleanly reinstalled Command, the latter can be excluded - see post #8. If it's the former, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks for your support!

Return to “Tech Support”