_altTVal

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

PaxMondo

_altTVal

Post by PaxMondo »

In the device file, the last field = _altTVal. I've lost my notes on this field. Can anyone remind me how it is defined?

Thanks.
Pax
PaxMondo

RE: _altTVal

Post by PaxMondo »

Oh man, no one?
[&:]
Pax
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Find a device that has something in that field and try to work backwards from there...
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Find a device that has something in that field and try to work backwards from there...
That's just it ... values are like 2 or 4 but I can't find a consistent pattern. And since I can't find my notes on what the field does ...

I'm working on an update to my personal mod, looking back at stock scen and DBB ... finding differences (no surprise there), but not consistent ones. So, not sure if I am looking at a couple of Oops! or they might be intentional based upon how the field is defined.
Pax
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

What sort of devices have something at all in that field?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Just looked through my notes and did not see anything mentioning it.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

certain bombs, but not all. and John changed values in that field from stock when he created DBB ...

I don't have my files with me, but its like, the 60kg bomb has it, but the 100 kg doesn't. Or, the 250 lb has 2, but the 500 lb has 4.
Pax
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Guessing, but something about alternate terminal velocity?
The Moose
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Do you mean this?

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (52.09 KiB) Viewed 77 times
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

certain bombs, but not all. and John changed values in that field from stock when he created DBB ...

I don't have my files with me, but its like, the 60kg bomb has it, but the 100 kg doesn't. Or, the 250 lb has 2, but the 500 lb has 4.

It looks like it's used to model the filter vales mentioned in this thread - tm.asp?m=3185771&mpage=1&key

The values add up, so 40 is a device used for ground attack and AF attack (32 + 8 = 40)

What is interesting is the link between the Altdevice and Altuse. That seems to be how the alternate weapons load outs are implemented - if GP, AP or SAP bombs are selected.

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Yep, that's what it is ... got independent confirmation offline.
Pax
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I need to understand fully. Am I interpreting correctly when I say:

It is the counterpart to the aircraft load out definitions. You 1) define the filters in the aircraft load out section, and 2) define the filters in the device to make that device a candidate to be used in the aircraft load out defined in "1".
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

As I understand it, yes. You need to be REAL careful in setting these as you can screw up the load outs pretty badly if you get them crossed up with the aircraft load outs. On the other hand, this field is what allows you to handle aircraft that have very few slots open due to guns. You can still allow them flexible load outs.

Also, do not forget that the torpedo swap is still hard coded (to the best of my knowledge). So for the IJ, it will go to 250kg no matter that you would prefer it to be 500kg or 800kg. Maybe one of the devs will confirm this is still the case. I recall Michael stating it, but that was some years (and MANY beta's) ago.
Pax
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

You need to be REAL careful in setting these as you can screw up the load outs pretty badly if you get them crossed up with the aircraft load outs.
What have you seen happen by accident?
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

Ah, imagine that. Some "kiddie" actually managed to figure out how part of the game worked on his own!

Did you perchance find out what is hard-coded and what isn't in regards to torpedo replacement?
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

You need to be REAL careful in setting these as you can screw up the load outs pretty badly if you get them crossed up with the aircraft load outs.
What have you seen happen by accident?
You can get double payloads dropping, or no payload, or partial payloads of more than one setting. At one point I had Netties dropping torp + 10x100kg. Nice, but not realistic and not what I wanted. Took some time to back out where I had crossed things up.
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Did you perchance find out what is hard-coded and what isn't in regards to torpedo replacement?
All I have is Michael's response long ago. Basically he said he could pull the hard code replacement out of the code easily, BUT the problem then was it required a DATA patch to get all of the scenarios back in shape. He didn't think Matrix (at the time, SLytherine now) was going to do another data patch release.

So, unless you have seen a data patch come out and the TB groups or the device files have got the coding in them to all for 800kg and 250kg replacement, then I doubt the hard code was removed.

Again, all my opinion. One of the devs would have to step in to confirm.

This, BTW, is a big thing to keep in mind when using the AltTVal fields. You cannot cross up the hard code for TB's, or you will get unwanted results.
Pax
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

This, BTW, is a big thing to keep in mind when using the AltTVal fields. You cannot cross up the hard code for TB's, or you will get unwanted results.

But what do you mean by "cross up"? Avoid doing exactly what?

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”