Dealing with Soviet tanks

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Tim James

Dealing with Soviet tanks

Post by Tim James »

I thought I remember reading a post on here about how best to deal with Soviet tanks in terms of ranges. What are the general rules, aside from good cover and surprise? Do I want my NATO tanks to be at short range or long range? Always screening and moving? Aside from artillery's usual effectiveness, is that going to be the best plan?
WABAC

RE: Dealing with Soviet tanks

Post by WABAC »

ORIGINAL: Tim James

I thought I remember reading a post on here about how best to deal with Soviet tanks in terms of ranges. What are the general rules, aside from good cover and surprise? Do I want my NATO tanks to be at short range or long range? Always screening and moving? Aside from artillery's usual effectiveness, is that going to be the best plan?

Long range. Long Range. Long Range.

In one of the threads around here Iron Mike Golf recommended LOS at least 1000 meters in excess of your main AT weapon.

There is an available tool that allows you to check LOS for your unit by hitting the shift and left click mouse key on the bit of terrain you are considering for your unit.

It is beyond me to offer quick advice on hold versus screen.
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Yeah, your units will start shooting a minute or two after they spot the enemy and he's in range. So, if they spot him at 3500 meters (useful max range in this game for the TOW missile), they start engaging when the enemy is at 2500-3000 meters. When Soviet tanks close to 2000 meters or less, they get waaaay more lethal. Your tanks can shoot a lot of rounds (and kill a lot of tanks) in the 500-1000 meter distance you give up if LOS is only as far as your max effective range.

And on the ground, this sort of delay between "spotting" and opening fire happens. When defending, you don't have a whole platoon or company peering through sights watching the engagement area all the time. There's always something more to do to prep for the impending attack, so only part of the unit is scanning. So, some gunner see's the first few tanks come into view and he's telling folks. Jim-Bob gotta get back in his turret 'cause he's taking a leak, etc. Gotta let the old man know, too. When you open, you want everyone shooting and you want to be sure everyone shooting a different target, etc.

Sure, there's tanker candles out there for TRPs and everybody has a sector. But the enemy gets a vote on your plan and you can count on needing to call an audible before opening. All that stuff takes time and the game engine feels about right to me.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

I wouldn't try engaging Soviet tanks past 3500 meters. Had way too many instances where they just slaughtered me with their Refleks missiles.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

You don't get to set engagement ranges yet. At the moment they simply fire when they think they have a good shot. Of course, you can restrict that somewhat by putting them in close terrain.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

That's kinda what I meant. I set engagement ranges by positioning my units in terrains with set fields of vision. Ie. I'd much rahter have my M1A1 company overlooking a valley roughly 6 hexes in width than into an open plain beyond 8 hexes, because when the Red Hammer comes down that field they tend to open up on me from 10 with their deadly accurate GLATGMs.

But yeah, I am interested in modified "scoot" mechanics, like telling a unit to hold position until a contact is within a certain range, then pull back...
I assume the way it works right now is that they automatically scoot into the adjacent hex with the highest cover rating. Perhaps the new system will apply waypoints to this?

Return to “The War Room”