rules on conquest

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Dogfax

rules on conquest

Post by Dogfax »

Good day ladies and gents. After several years/months dabbling in the WiF and MWiF worlds I have finally got round to registering.[:)]

One rule that has always confused me and still is, is the rule regarding conquering countries.

I have read and re-read the rules but I am struggling to put these into real world play. They mention Major powers and territories but nothing about minor countries?
Sometimes it seems I just need to take the capital, sometimes all the cities, sometimes ports, etc. MWiF obviously prompts you when a country has fallen but can someone pls explain to my poor brain how it works? Sorry for the basic question, but this is one rule that is niggling at my brain

Joseignacio

RE: rules on conquest

Post by Joseignacio »

Ooofff there are many rules concerning Conquer but also Surrender and Vichy specific rules, and all that is affected by these matters, like force pools, unis on map... I'll try to send what you are referring to, concretely in your post:

From WIF Rules (RAW), although I guess MWIF is exactly the same:
13.7.1 Conquest
You can only conquer a home country or territory if you are at war with the major power or minor country that controls it.
All conquest in a turn occurs simultaneously.
Minor countries never conquer anything. The home country or territory is instead conquered by the minor’s controlling major power (unless it is not at war, see 2.5).
You cannot conquer a conquered minor country or territory. You may only liberate or revert it (see 13.7.5).
Territories
To conquer a territory, you must control every city and port in that territory. If it has no ports or cities, you need to control every hex instead.
If more than one major power from the same side controls ports and cities in a territory, the major power with the greatest influence is the conqueror. Use this priority to determine who has the greatest influence:
1. Whoever controls the most ports and cities in the territory.
2. Whoever has the highest garrison value (see 13.1) in the territory.
3. Whoever occupied the territory’s last city or port.
You also conquer a territory if you control every port and coastal city in every sea area the territory has a coastal hex in.
When you conquer a territory, control of every enemy controlled hex there not occupied by an enemy land unit passes to your major power.
Italy
Italy is conquered when any 3 of these are true during this step:

1. The Allies control Rome.
2. The Allies control Tripoli.
3. The Allies control any printed factory hex in Italy (apart from Rome).
4. The Allied garrison value (see 13.1) in Italy is greater than the Italian garrison value there (remember, Sicily is part of Italy).
Other home countries
To conquer any other home country, you must control its capital plus every printed factory hex in that home country. You do not need to control a hex that only contains factories that were moved, or built, there.
If more than one major power from the same side controls the capital and printed factories in a home country, the major power with the greatest influence in that home country is the conqueror. Use this priority to determine who has the greatest influence:
1. Whoever controls most factories in the home country (with the capital counting as an additional 3 factories for this calculation).
2. Whoever has the highest garrison value (see 13.1) in the home country.
3. Whoever occupied the home country’s last factory or capital city.

In short, Home Countries are Major and Minor Powers, they are conquered if you take their capital plus all the printed factories. Except Italy and Vichy which have their own rules. BUT...
2.5 Control
Entities
There are 2 geographical entities in the game ~ home countries and territories. Home countries have capital cities, territories do not.
A home country consists of every hex that a MAR could reach from the capital of that home country without crossing a red political boundary or entering a hex containing the name of another major power (e.g. all of mainland China including Japanese occupied China is part of the Chinese home nation, but Hainan and Formosa are not).

... BUT that would be a Complete Conquest only if there are no aligned minor countries (which are not it's home country) from where fight can be carried on. This means that France, Begium, Holland, UK, ..., can be be taken all factories and still be conquered but only Incomplete Conquest, so they can still fight on from somewhere else.

However, Yugoslavia cannot, cause it does not have aligned minor countries so if you take factories plus capital you conquer it completely.
Dogfax

Post by Dogfax »

Awesome Thanks for that.
Explains to me why sometimes I am getting conquests when I was not expecting them. I was looking to take all the cities, but this is not needed if their are factories and/or a capital. If their isn't then I will general have to take all the cities/ports

Thanks for that makes my future conquest plans much easier to plan now(as well as my defences)/
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

[;)] Glad to help.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Of course, things are not that simple. If your opponent has conquered one of your countries (nasty person [:)]), you can not conquer it back. Instead, you can liberate it. If the country has a capital, then all you need to do is capture the capital.

If you have liberated a country, then all the opponent needs to do to reconquer it is take the capital. Do not let this happen; it is very bad. Conquering a liberated country puts all of its units out of the game permanently. This is particularly vicious if done to a liberated France.

Also, as far as I can tell there is a bug that means that territories can not, at the moment, be liberated, although I think that they should be, although the rules are confusing.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

That's correct, according to RAW:

13.7.1 Conquest
You can only conquer a home country or territory if you are at war
with the major power or minor country that controls it.

And:

13.7.5 Liberation
Conquered minor countries, major powers and Commonwealth home
countries (and France after a Vichy government is installed) may not
be conquered.

This seems to be pretty clear. You can only conquer territories and can't liberate them.
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Per the FAQ:

Q13.7-20 13.7.5 May conquered Territories be reconquered or liberated?

They cannot be re-conquered but may only be liberated. Date 07/03/2008
This is done by meeting the same conditions as for conquest (see 13.7.1).
Date 12/05/2008
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I'm always forgetting that line in the FAQ. Thanks Paul.
Peter
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Is Sardinia a territory of Italy?...in other words if CW wanted to conquer it, they would have to take both ports?
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Is Sardinia a territory of Italy?...in other words if CW wanted to conquer it, they would have to take both ports?

Yes.
Peter

Return to “WIF School”