Thirty Years War -- General Questions

Ageod’s Thirty Years War is a new game designed by developer HQ covering one of the darkest ages of European history.
Uxbridge

Thirty Years War -- General Questions

Post by Uxbridge »

I took the liberty to start this thread as a place to ask more general questions (such as generals ask) without having to start a new thread for every new minor issue. My idea is that we can quickly help each other with things not in the manual or hidden very deep within it.

My first question is: will destroying a depot release a purchable supply unit?
Leibst

RE: Thirty Years War -- General Questions

Post by Leibst »

No. Number of units are defined in the forcepool.
Designer of AGEOD & HQ English Civil War, Thirty Years War and España:1936
Designer of Battles For Spain and Libertad o Muerte!
https://hqwargames.com
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

So if I use a Wagon to create a Depot, that particular Wagon is gone for the duration of the game?

Is this the same for the units? Once destroyed, it won't return?
Leibst

Post by Leibst »

No. You always have in Ageod games a number that is what you see in the forcepool.
This number can change with events/options during the game. In TYW only by events atm.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

I see ... Apart from the present situation, where I have spent all my wagons to make depots, I'm not sure I like this in general either. That the wagons are spent for a certain time seems reasonable to me -- they might be preoccupied collecting resources for the depot -- but why should they be gone for good? After a year or so they should reappear, only as long as a an upper limit is maintained. Or -- if one assumes that the wagons are connected to the depot as long as that level of it is in play -- they should be back once the depot is destroyed.

I may be wrong, but I think they returned after a while in AJE?
Ripster8

Post by Ripster8 »

The wagons you use to build depots will reappear the very next turn in your force pool eligible to be rebuilt (at the normal cost in money and war supplies). Also, captured wagons do not appear to count against your force pool limits but cannot be rebuilt once expended. And thanks for starting this thread. I really hope we can drum up support for this unique game!
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

No, Ripster8, I think you're wrong about this (but hope you're right). I built a large number of depots and there no returning wagons. Maybe you built a depot the turn/turns before normal force pool allocation?
Ripster8

Post by Ripster8 »

Again, my friend, playing the grand campaign scenario I have found that your own supply wagons do return to your force pool after use, up to the limit of the force pool. Captured wagons are not part of your force pool do not return if used to build depots. It may be different in the other scenarios but this has been my experience with the Imperialist side in the grand campaign. For the Protestants it is a bit different as they have a supply wagon in the force pool but there doesn't seem to be a limit on the number of wagons they can build, depending on how much money they have, of course.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Odd. I have played the Protestant side up till 1628. In the last year I have recieved only one wagon in the force pool, despite having used many to build depots. In fact, I have very few wagons altogether, perhaps 5 or 6 in the entire game. Unless they have gone in hiding somewhere. I will soldier on, watching what's happening.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Since the discussion centered on wagons, I never really got an answer concerning units. Many of my cavalry units have been destroyed while screening the armies. They don't seem to return to the forcepool either. I think they should, but I can't say I have seen it happen.

Is a patch close? I'm not sure whether I should play on or wait for it.
Leibst

Post by Leibst »

Its WAD i suposse. You can have in your force pool lets say 9 Cuirassiers Regiments, but in a event you receive an army with 7 Cuirassiers regiments. If you already had 6 before that event then you have 13, but your force pool is 9. So you can boild once you have less than 9 in the map.
Anyway the forcepool has been revised for the Great Campaign for first patch. Adding some units not available before in the forcepool btw.
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Yes, that could be it. And sometimes you receive a unit that is not part of the force pool at all and it will never, upon loss, come back again. So this could be the case with the wagons as well? If so, a modest wish for the force pool is some more wagons for the Protestants.

I take it that the force pool is expanding?
Leibst

Post by Leibst »

Yes. And probablt your wishes come true. ;)
Dino_SWE

Post by Dino_SWE »

Speaking of supply, how does this work exactly? What is the difference between a depot and a wagon production wise? This is my first AGEOD title :P

Is there some way of specifying battle formation roles to groups? Group 1 Central & Group 2 Flanking etc?
What is the benefit of using groups in the first place?

I am having some trouble with keeping track of all the enemy actions during a turn because the screen only centers on one stack. Is there a setting or something to help me with this? I realize it is a WEGO system but anyway I thought ID ask :P

Is there some benefit of controlling the empty provinces (shield symbols)? I suspect there is but I cant find it.

How do I raise money and war supplies etc? Resource gathering in general is eluding me.

Thanks
Leibst

Post by Leibst »

1.- A depot is fixed but allows to stockpile more supplies.
2.- No, but is a nice idea that i will transfer to the dev guy. Groups allow to organice your troops first, and are cheaper in Command Points.
3.- No, but the screen should be centered on the moving stack each day.
4.- In Ageod tittles is good to control regions, this gives you better info of troops there, allow the flow of supply and your troops in retreat try to go to the region with higher Military Control.
5.- There are several cities with a coin in their region. This cities generates resources (starting 1620 or later i dont remember now, the date is different for each city), usually each 6 months if they are not besieged. You can also get mor controlling all the cities in some strategic areas, like The Hanseatic cities or Pommern. There some events giving you this info. Cities income is random and its not the same for each side.

Hope you like TYW and try other Ageod games. [:)]
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

What do you click to see structures inside cities?
Jim Cobb

Return to “Thirty Years' War”