Weather

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

LiquidSky

Weather

Post by LiquidSky »

It was starting to bother me that I couldn't figure out the weather or why it would decide to rain on my parade.

So after some digging around in the rulebook, I realized I had to go into the editor.

Since I cant do that in the middle of a turn, I made up this little graphic to show the weather. I left out the extreme north front.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (940.25 KiB) Viewed 109 times
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Helpless

RE: Weather

Post by Helpless »

Yes, anyone unhappy the way weather front works can try to mod them.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

I just want to say I love the weather modelling in this game.
The 'clockwork' strategies that grew out of fixed weather in WitE were a big turn off to me.

Thanks for the chart, LiquidSky.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

ORIGINAL: Seminole

I just want to say I love the weather modelling in this game.
The 'clockwork' strategies that grew out of fixed weather in WitE were a big turn off to me.

Thanks for the chart, LiquidSky.

same here - weather modeling is very cool in this game as compared to WITE

Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

You can thank Pavel for this. It was 100% his brainchild and he did a great job with it. Much more interesting than anything I've ever seen in a wargame. It's even better now that there is some forecasting (coming in next official release). The system is a better form of "random" weather.

In Torch, I've seen very different games due to the mud (or lack thereof) in North Africa.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Yes, I love the weather. Especially when it snows all winter over Germany [:@]

Actually it is a very good system. Back when I played WiTE somebody was pushing hard for a hex based weather system which made absolutely no sense to me as it would treat weather like it was 'terrain' to be maneuvered around.

While the blanket weather zones of most games seems to also not make much sense (really, its mud *everywhere* in Europe?) At least it treats weather like something that has to be endured, not moved around.

This system is kind of like the blanket weather zones, but with the limited unknown of the fronts. And then the actual effects in the hexes can be sporadic (hex based) but not so much that you can drive between the cracks. I like it although I still have questions about it.

For example: What happens when there are two fronts in the same area? Do they cancel? Or does one take precedence over the other?

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

What happens when there are two fronts in the same area? Do they cancel? Or does one take precedence over the other?

Closer front (center) has precedence.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Hmm...I wonder if it is possible to add a new category to Select Chart (Under the Metrics Screen) called Weather.

Then you could show a graph of weather by zone. It would help to gauge whether the weather was withering, wacky or wonderful.

You know..since you have nothing to do [:'(]

Return to “The War Room”