Oil early in the game

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

etsadler

Oil early in the game

Post by etsadler »

In a game using the Oil rule I seem to have a different method than what I see used in the various AARs.

This is mainly a comment for the Axis, as the Allies have significantly more oil available.

In the early game a Oil point used for production only generates 0.5 or 0.75 of a BP. Not until 1941 do you get 1 BP for an Oil Point. This leads me to the conclusion that Oil points should not be used for production before 1941 if they could otherwise be saved.

This allows me to have a good stockpile of Oil for later in the game. Often allowing me to use all my current turn oil for production when it is 1.25 or 1.5 BP per, using my saved .75 BP oil for reorg.

It is true that this results is lower production in the early turns. Sometimes extraordinary losses have caused me to use oil for production earlier than I would like. But I find that especially for Germany that the quality of the units is generally sufficient to offset a couple of fewer INF (which is generally what suffers in my builds.

I would be interested in hearing what others think and do in this regard.
Ur_Vile_WEdge

RE: Oil early in the game

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

Well, your math generally checks out, but don't forget, having a unit earlier is almost always better than having a unit on the board later.

Especially on the offense, the stronger you are vis a vis your enemy, the fewer losses you take and the faster you advance. And the game is all about how much the Axis can bull through in those first years when they're stronger and before the overwhelming Allied production makes the proverbial roof fall on their heads.

Having that extra inf or two, or a couple of extra stukas or fighters, can mean the difference between a quick easy win in France and bulling on to the Soviets, or getting into a costly win where you've led a million of the Wehrmacht's finest into a muddy grave, and thus are in no position to do that next, necessary phase of expansion.

"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I always save as much oil points as I can as the Axis. Sure, this might mean the loss of a couple of buildpoints in early war. But having a healthy stockpile of oil when 1944 comes along is usually better than when you are at that time running on the last barrels of oil.

The moment the Japanese carrier fleet and the Axis airforces can't be totally reorganised anymore is the moment that you have lost the war (but perhaps not the game, if you manage to survive with Germany and Japan until game end). Also, with that in mind, I tend to (re)build the non-oil dependent units faster than the oil-depended ones starting 1943 with the Axis. I'll rather like to empty those force pools than get stuck with disorganised immobilized ARM-MECH which than get destroyed by the advancing allies due to lack of oil or planes which might get overran due to oil shortages.

Peter
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

Assuming that nothing has effected the Production Multiple you are correct.

Production Multiples Notes:
(a) +0.25 if enemy made any land attacks in your home country (not Siberia and only UK counts for the CW) this turn;
(b) +0.25 while an in-supply enemy land unit is in your home country (not Siberia, and only UK counts for the CW).
(c) +0.25 ~ US entry opt. 22; +0.25 ~ US entry opt. 34; +0.25 ~ war; +0.25 ~ total war; +0.25 each 6 turns after US entry opt. 34.
(d) +0.25 from 1942 onwards if Minsk or Kiev are Russian controlled.
(e) +0.25 from 1943 onwards if Leningrad, Moscow and Stalingrad are Russian controlled.

And Germany has not aligned Rumania. In which case Germany gets all the Rumanian oil and Italy no longer receives an oil from Rumania.

5.1 Trade agreements
Rumania
While neutral, Rumania supplies Germany with 2 oil resources and its other oil resource to Italy, each turn.

It is a good rule of thumb to save at least 1 oil per turn. but Neutral major powers may only save 1 oil.

Saved oil resources (AfA option 31)
Neutral major powers can only save one oil per turn (in addition to their previously saved oil).

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

That is generally a good idea, however if it means getting an extra .5 production, I would seriously consider spending one oil to get that.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I tend to build early and save hard in the middle of the game, particularly with Japan.
AlbertN

Post by AlbertN »

With Japan I prefer to save 4 per turn in the Turn1 and Turn2 due to the multiplier change.

Also I got the habit to produce the Synth oil when I can - for Germany usually in Turn1 and Turn2, and Japan has to build its own on Turn3 (Jan / Feb 1940).

To not be able to operate is quite a pain in that place.

Return to “World in Flames”