Buying the Expansion

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

BattleMoose

Buying the Expansion

Post by BattleMoose »

Hi all,

I have already submitted a help ticket but wanted to post this too.

I bought the game, with legends and shadows back in 2012 for $80. Fine.

Only now am I thinking of getting back into the game and getting the expansions. But can only get the expansion products bundled with stuff I already own! Its just ridiculous.

How do I buy the expansions without getting exploited?

Cheers
feygan

RE: Buying the Expansion

Post by feygan »

Sadly not possible, you must submit to the Matrix Games customer care policy of.

1. Bend over.
2. Grit teeth while shaft is inserted violently.
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

I cannot even download the original games I bought. Download link invalid... So sent another ticket for that... This is just ridiculous.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You should get download links from support for the old stuff.

If you decide to wait, and are not a rabid steam hater, pay attention to steam sales. DW already went once at 50%.

It is also possible that the matrix site matches the steam sale price. So if you use steam, wishlist it and hope for a notification.

They screwed up in having the price cut for previous owners expire. They have admitted as much as well, but do not feel able to undo old wrongs.
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

I should get download links for the stuff I bought. I am waiting for them. This kind of nonsense doesn't happen on steam. I am very happy with steam. Its actually a reliable service. There is never any worry about having access to a thing you have bought.

I am actually a paying customer here. Cannot believe this treatment.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

Have you opened a ticket with tech support? Or are you just whingeing on the forums?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

So far I have submitted 2 tickets, literally the first line in this thread. I have gotten a response. Basically, translated to tough shit.

The second issue is that I cannot even download the titles that I have bought. I have opened a ticket for this. I have still as yet not received a response.
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

So, submitted a ticket asking for a way to download distant worlds, the products I bought. As Matrix recommended. Still no response.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

@BattleMoose

For what it's worth I've sent an e-mail prompting Matrix to have a look at your support ticket to help download the titles you own. Hope you get a response that helps.
JosephM

Post by JosephM »

Hello Battle Moose,

Unfortunately the discount for Universe was set as a temporary discount, and the infrastructure for this has now been removed. However there have been discounts, so please keep an eye on the forums where any discounts will be advertised. For you downloads, I have sent separate emails containing links for you to download your games.
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

Hello,

So I can download the games I own now, after quite a lot of effort and complaining. But the download links are only active for 24 hours? Why would you do that? On steam when you buy a title, its for life, because you own it and can download it whenever you want to. This is the expectation that's been set. As a consumer I would not buy products from Matrix again, this is not something I am going to experience again.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

This is because they distribute old fashioned installers that are independent of everything, and don't want a permanent download link distributed around the world.

In steam you have to use their client to play the game, you are at the mercy of them allowing you to keep your account, and they have total control apart from distant worlds not having any kind of DRM in their steam install.

It is two completely different products, Steam holds your hand, but you are at their mercy. Matrix is kind enough to replace your product (the installers) if you lose them.

It seems you should stay with steam, but as Matrix distribute their games there as well, you may stumble across them if not paying attention.
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

My interpretation is exactly the opposite. Regardless of who I buy from, I am completely at their mercy, be it steam or matrix, nature of digital retailers. What I think I am buying, is a licence to use a product. Period. Regardless of circumstance I should have access.

The trust I have in steam has never been called into question. While the opposite is true for Matrix. And it is trust.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I use steam as well.

But the DW installers are rather safely on my computers, so unless something wipes my flat (like a fire) I will have them "forever". I trust steam as well, but some weird thing like my account being hacked, or losing internet connection, and my access there is gone.

If Steam goes bust, I lose my games there, if Matrix folds I still have my installers and serial codes.

I understand your frustration about the missed upgrade offer, I think you over-react to them not answering support messages over the weekend.
BattleMoose

Post by BattleMoose »

I simply don't have enough hard drive space to store games locally, even just the install files. (I own a lot of games) Digital ownership of software is a paradigm I have totally bought into, its my preferred way of owning software. And it should be safe, secure and reliable.

I shouldn't have to lodge a ticket to get access. This was the recommended method to do it too. And they did respond to my first ticket on the weekend. The second one got, lost or something. I don't know. This just isn't acceptable to me, and that's okay, I don't have to do this in the future.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

If you want digital download access to DW:U, you should ask tech support for a Steam key. I think only some Matrix titles are on Steam but you may be able to manage the games on your HDD via Steam, instead of Matrix's download system.

I have a lot of games as well, but I haven't had an issue with HDD space. External 4TB HDDs are pretty cheap these days, and to the trick for storing those big install packages.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

Burn the installers to a dvd or two.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi BattleMoose,

Your initial post was on a Sunday and you followed up on a national holiday (Labor Day here) so I apologize that you have not heard back yet, but unfortunately across weekends and holidays there can be support delays.

We did offer an upgrade for all existing customers for months after the Universe release with a major discount. We also e-mailed all existing customers whose e-mail addresses we had on record with that offer. I'm sorry you missed that and as I've posted elsewhere, I wish we had not allowed that offer to expire. Lesson learned for the future.

You can absolutely re-download anything you already bought. If you did not purchase while logged into the site, you have to contact our support (as you did, I expect you will hear back today and I'll call this to their attention to make sure). If you do purchase while logged in, you can automatically retrieve a new download link yourself through our Members Club. I recommend always being logged in for purchases for that reason.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

To be clear also, you are not "renting" the software from us, or some similar arrangement, as with some other stores or companies. From our store you buy it, you own it. We give you an installer and a serial number that do not require you to be connected to the internet, go through any kind of re-licensing, phone home DRM, etc. in the future. As long as you keep that file and that serial number (burn it to a DVD, as suggested above), you are all set.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”