Empire strikes back- NJP vs Wargmr Game over :-)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JocMeister

RE: Empire strikes back- NJP vs Wargmr (no wargmr)

Post by JocMeister »

Good luck! [:)]

Seems you set yourself up well around there. It will be tough for him no doubt!

njp72

Post by njp72 »

Thanks Joc

Well with his usual audacity he moved 4 amphib taskforces and started to assault the inner perimeter of my fortress Rabaul.

3 of the 4 taskforces met a fairly grim fate but the main one successfully achieved its aim.

I am not going to let him consolidate so it is going to turn into a real slogfest now :-)

In the last 2 days I estimate about 30 second rate AKs/APs have hit the ocean floor with about half carrying troops.

Attachments
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (293.47 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: njp72

Thanks Joc, great to have your input.

I completely agree, and this time I will finish off Chungking for those exact reasons. I really want to get quite deep into 45 before the inevitable occurs.

He is on the move again around Rabaul! Major battles ahead :-)

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

If you get Chungking that will be a really nice boost to your VPs. Will probably buy you quite some time before an allied AV. [:)]

So very important to take Chungking. I well remember your last game, and how the Chinese with help came roaring back. Kill em now!
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Lol, so true Lowpe. I was amazed at their ability to regenerate. Once he got supply to them my fate was sealed.

Not this time!

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

So very important to take Chungking. I well remember your last game, and how the Chinese with help came roaring back. Kill em now!

[/quote]
njp72

Post by njp72 »

The new Verdun

I believe this was the 5th or 6th assault on Chungking.

On average it takes me between 10 to 14 days to recover from these battles. In the interim he will continue to be bombarded and hit by air.

I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel but it has been a long road :-)

Attachments
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (361.66 KiB) Viewed 84 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Getting there! [:)]
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

And this is where the major action is taking place.

He has skilfully seized a number of important locations but he is now on the border of the inner defence.

These bases have at least a regt+ as well as supporting arms (arm and artillery). The air bases are all mutually supporting and approx. size 4.

Rabaul hosts a full division, strong AA presence, arty, mines, CD unit, midget subs and 300 fighters.

I am hoping this slows him up for a little while.

The base straight north of Gasmata is well worth building up to size 3 or 4. It's an excellent base for torpedo/dive bombers to defend against Allied bombardment raids, and very difficult for the Allies to suppress.

Once the Allies take Buin they'll be able to knock Rabual out via fast bombardment runs, so you'll need to guard against that.

No need to build up too much, a level 3 airbase can enable torpedo/dive bombers to make such bombardment runs dangerous for the Allies.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Thanks Joc :-)

In previous games I would have given up but now I realise how important it is to finally finish them off!

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Getting there! [:)]
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Any Attack on Chungking that reduces forts is a victory...his losses from bombardments & bombings will skyrocket.

It helps with speeding up the battles by having a HQ and extra divisions resting outside on the highway. Unfortunately you bought those guys out if I recall correctly.

Probably 4 more attacks to take the city. Maybe less with some luck.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

A good idea which I should have done.

Unfortunately events have made that move slightly redundant :-(

He is moving all around the strong points and securing the dot bases- will post maps.

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

And this is where the major action is taking place.

He has skilfully seized a number of important locations but he is now on the border of the inner defence.

These bases have at least a regt+ as well as supporting arms (arm and artillery). The air bases are all mutually supporting and approx. size 4.

Rabaul hosts a full division, strong AA presence, arty, mines, CD unit, midget subs and 300 fighters.

I am hoping this slows him up for a little while.

The base straight north of Gasmata is well worth building up to size 3 or 4. It's an excellent base for torpedo/dive bombers to defend against Allied bombardment raids, and very difficult for the Allies to suppress.

Once the Allies take Buin they'll be able to knock Rabual out via fast bombardment runs, so you'll need to guard against that.

No need to build up too much, a level 3 airbase can enable torpedo/dive bombers to make such bombardment runs dangerous for the Allies.
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Update July 43

The last 14 days have been quite vicious as both sides trade blows mostly around Fortress Rabaul.

In the last 7 days the IJN have removed from the roster 1 modern CL, 1 old CL and about 4 DDs.

The Allies have lost 3 old CLs, about 12 DDs (half Fletchers) and two SSs. Air losses have also been heavy for both sides but Japanese pools in planes and pilots remain bountiful.

There was also a failed amphip assault on Nauru which was enjoyable from my perspective. :-)

Will post maps

Attachments
int.gif
int.gif (298.02 KiB) Viewed 84 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

China

Once again mobilising for the final push. Encouragingly his raw AV is starting to finally plummet after the multiple assaults, daily bombardments and air raids.

I feel confident it will fall sometime in July- at last!

Attachments
china.gif
china.gif (462.93 KiB) Viewed 84 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Burma is incredibly quiet.

Never played a game where there has been so little action over the last 6 months. I targeted heavily his Hurricane pools in 42 but by now they would be re-filled.

Not sure what he is up to here but supplying my divisions in the field is becoming a nightmare.

I will commence an orderly withdraw sometime in the next two months closer to Rangoon.

Attachments
Burma.gif
Burma.gif (437.96 KiB) Viewed 84 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Ceylon- very quiet here as well.

Once every couple of months he tries to resupply Diego Garcia with varying degrees of success. Usually the majority of ships are sunk but some supplies get through.

I also bombard the garrison with a couple of BBs occasionally as well- easy points :-)

Attachments
QuietCeylon.gif
QuietCeylon.gif (239.36 KiB) Viewed 84 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

PNG- problem child

Here is the main theatre of action and demonstrates once again why Wargmr is a very dangerous opponent.

After a couple of direct runs and fairly heavy losses on a number of key bases, he is now working the flanks and the dot bases.

In direct naval combat he is coming out on top but as the battles are being fought around or in Rabual, my cripples survive and his do not. To get at my ships he has to pass through multiple mine fields and subs and any cripples get hit by my land base air set on short range.

Wargmr has also changed his tactics once he realised I wasn't going to target his man CVs but was hunting his CVEs and APs. He has split his main CV forces in to two groups and has them strongly covered by LBA (corsairs, thunderblts etc) which make it very difficult to break through.

I love this aspect of the game as players continue to amend their tactics to counter or adapt to the changing environment :-)

Attachments
Maintheatre.gif
Maintheatre.gif (313.61 KiB) Viewed 84 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Quick update

Another massive assault in Chungking but no decisive results. His AV is dropping but not quick enough.

The air war over PNG has really ramped up with losses for both sides growing significantly. I can handle the airframes but I hate losing the pilots.

Finally Mike tried another amphib assault on Nauru with similar results to the first. It appears having a mixture of units especially armour makes these locations very tough to mop up.

I think this is one aspect of the game (atoll invasions) that he may have limited experience. Mike generally seizes positions by stealth and then builds them up rather then frontal assaults. I'm surprised he is so keen on this location but happy he continues to assault it :-)

Normally he would just bypass it.

Attachments
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (348.79 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

It appears having a mixture of units especially armour makes these locations very tough to mop up.

+1
njp72

Post by njp72 »

Update Aug 43

Plenty happening, good and bad.

On the good side Chungking has fallen and China is on the last stages of mopping up remnants.

On the bad, Fortress Rabaul in the course of a month has been smashed by multiple airstrikes (land based and CV) Battleship bombardments and 4E strikes.

Mike has broken us here and we are slowly retreating and giving ground up the coast of PNG.

Overall the score looks good and barring a complete disaster getting into 45 should be pretty secure.

Attachments
Int.gif
Int.gif (282.52 KiB) Viewed 84 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

And behold the high watermark of the empire. :-)

Of course it is all down hill from here but we still hold a lot of turf which I have not heavily garrisoned.

Curiously he has allowed me to hold Perth and Ceylon which are not heavily garrisoned. In fact Perth is protected/ garrisoned by Kangaroos, dingos and bunyips.

Attachments
Strat.gif
Strat.gif (269.09 KiB) Viewed 84 times
njp72

Post by njp72 »

China

The end is nigh and I'm glad for once I had the patience and the brains to see this through.

As many combat formations as I can afford via political points are being shipped out into the Pacific and Kuriles.

Attachments
China.gif
China.gif (475.18 KiB) Viewed 84 times

Return to “After Action Reports”