Global War: Japanese Aggression

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

yvesp

RE: Global War: Japanese Aggression

Post by yvesp »

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

China. North Temperate.

Japan's planned war of expansion also includes northern China. Specifically, the annihilation of Mao and the communist and the absorption of all resources and factories in the north. This effort will be carrier out by two Japanese Army Groups under the commands of General Terachi and Umezu.

You're overextending. You cannot be offensive in China (to the extent of destroying the commies), capture the NEI and India, and all at the same time protect Mandchuria. Not to mention that you'll also need troops to garrison the Pacific unless you want the US to easily seize them in a short time.

A smart Russian would take the opportunity to seize Mandchuria and its resources: This has no cost in terms of US entry (it is more than offset by your offensive stance), and you'll find yourself in a likely difficult situation.

Maybe you'll prove me wrong ?
yvesp

Post by yvesp »

As for the setup in France, its not the first time that I see the mountain unit in the hex above Nice, which can only be attacked from one side. What is the logic ? Personally I put it in Nice, which is much more vulnerable (it can be attacked with the fleet support for exemple); hence Nice can be attacked at 3 to 1, which is absolutely impossible for the hex above.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Well well. A high risk, high gain game...

The USSR is the Allied power who should react on the Japanese. An invasion of Manchuria means the end of Japanese expansion and it comes cheap with all those extra US entry chits already drawn.

The Japanese can't fight the Soviets and China and still gain territory from the CW at the same time...

Peter
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: yvesp

You're overextending. You cannot be offensive in China (to the extent of destroying the commies), capture the NEI and India, and all at the same time protect Mandchuria. Not to mention that you'll also need troops to garrison the Pacific unless you want the US to easily seize them in a short time.

A smart Russian would take the opportunity to seize Mandchuria and its resources: This has no cost in terms of US entry (it is more than offset by your offensive stance), and you'll find yourself in a likely difficult situation.

Maybe you'll prove me wrong ?
Well I won't prove you wrong by any brilliant strategic moves on my part. But I will let you in on what's going on behind the scenes in my "alternate WW2 reality".
ORIGINAL: Centuur

Well well. A high risk, high gain game...

The USSR is the Allied power who should react on the Japanese. An invasion of Manchuria means the end of Japanese expansion and it comes cheap with all those extra US entry chits already drawn.

The Japanese can't fight the Soviets and China and still gain territory from the CW at the same time...

Alternate WW2 Reality

Stalin through his purges of the Red Army in the late 1930's has cemented total control over the Soviet Union and the blind following of the Red Army. Western estimates place the number of soldiers purged (i.e., executed) at 30,000 to 40,000. This includes 50% of the entire Red Army Officer's corps, 90% of their corps commanders and 3 of 5 of their Marshalls.

While Stalin is convinced that no credible threat inside the Soviet Union and, especially inside the Red Army, now exists to him, he is now worried that an extensional threat in the form of Nazi Germany is building to the Soviet Union and by extension to himself. He realizes that the severity of this extensional threat is greatly magnified by his purges of the Red Army. While he personally accepts the necessity of these purges, he knows that he now must take steps to rebuild the Red Army to the strength and competence necessary to stymie or even defeat the Nazi war machine if so necessary.

Stalin is under no illusions about the Nazi-Soviet non-aggression pact. It's not worth the paper it's written on. All he is looking for is to buy time, as much time as he can to strengthen the Red Army in his own image.

In Asia, Stalin not only sees what the Japanese are doing but has secretly negotiated an unofficial and very private non-aggression pact with them. He plans to give the Japanese a free hand in the Pacific and in Asia as long as they stay out of the Soviet Union. This free hand includes war against Mao and his communist. Though Stalin is not happy about this, he is a practical man and thus is willing to sacrifice the communist Chinese for the greater good of the Soviet Union. The greater good in Stalin's mind includes the eventual defeat of Nazi Germany and the incorporation of not only the rest of Poland but Germany and the Balkans into the Soviet Union. His closest advisers estimate that this will be possible in 5-years as long as the Soviet Union can stay out of a war with Nazi Germany for that time.

Now Stalin is a patient man when in comes to matters of conquest and absorption. Once Nazi Germany is dealt with, he, that is, the Soviet Union will be in position to take all of Manchuria and most (if not all) of China. But first, back to the his 5-year plan and the absorption of most of Europe into the Soviet Union. Stalin assumes that the French and British will be able to stalemate Germany in the west and tie them down for the needed 5-years. When ready, he will march in and save the the western allies and in the process gobble up most of Europe.

Now after all this is accomplished, Stalin will turn his attention to Asia. He plans once again to be the hero by ending a predicted war raging between the USA and Japan in the Pacific. Again he will be the hero, the savior, by marching in and defeating Japan in China. Of course, to do this he will need to push through and secure Manchuria.

Stalin sees endless opportunities in this new world war that's just ignited.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

Have you considered the possibility of the Netherlands setting up two units in Batavia? There is nothing prohibiting them from putting the Netherlands home country INF in Batavia. As this gives away the Netherlands home country for free, I am not sure it is a good idea, but is legal, and is a move the Allies should consider, even if they eventually decide to reject it.
I didn't, but very intriguing. Would this, in your opinion, be a viable strategy only if the Japanese DOW the Netherlands and not Germany? Or, would you try it they both did?

As I write this I've already completed the first turn. For me, I guess I'm too conservative (or chicken) to not set up a land unit in Holland too on a simultaneous DOW by Japan and Germany on the Netherlands.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

As for the setup in France, its not the first time that I see the mountain unit in the hex above Nice, which can only be attacked from one side. What is the logic ? Personally I put it in Nice, which is much more vulnerable (it can be attacked with the fleet support for exemple); hence Nice can be attacked at 3 to 1, which is absolutely impossible for the hex above.
Honestly, I put the French mountain corps there to stymie the threat of his opposite number (i.e., the Italian mountain corps directly east of him). As the French, I wanted a setup that deterred the Italians from getting into the war against me (i.e., France).

Do you believe that my French setup against Italy was too strong?
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Here are two more graphics that finish up describing my setup.

US Entry Pools.

The USA chooses two chits to put into the Germany/Italy entry pool and one to put into the Japanese pool.

I always put two chits into the Germany/Italy pool to make 100% sure that the Soviets will be able to claim Eastern Poland and the Baltic states on turn 1.

Attachments
00USEntryPool.jpg
00USEntryPool.jpg (137.32 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

At Start Victory Totals.

For what's it worth here are the victory totals at the start of the game and the measure of those totals against the historical totals at the end of the war in August 1945.

Attachments
00VictoryTotals.jpg
00VictoryTotals.jpg (522.79 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Setup. Game Turn.

Here's my game turn at the end of my setup and just before Germany's automatic DOW on Poland.
Attachments
SETUP2015AUG28.zip
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
Ronnie
yvesp

Post by yvesp »

Honestly, I put the French mountain corps there to stymie the threat of his opposite number (i.e., the Italian mountain corps directly east of him). As the French, I wanted a setup that deterred the Italians from getting into the war against me (i.e., France).

Hum.

Usually I prefer to put a 3-3 where you put the mountain, a poor garrison unit east of Lyon, and the mountain in Nice possibly stacked with a div.
Honestly, the French are no threat to Italy, and vice-versa: unless you're willing to play Russian roulette (which is of course always possible), this front is going to stand still. Attacking even a 3-3 in the mountain for the italians is at best +3 attack. he likehood of loosing both attackers is greater than the likehood of killing the 3-3... and it then opens up the front line of the loosing attacker (not to mention the loss of more than one turn in production.) Conversely, as an Italian, I'm not worried: the French won't attack for the exact same reason, increased by the fact that it cannot afford to loose units both on the northern and southern front.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Hum.

Usually I prefer to put a 3-3 where you put the mountain, a poor garrison unit east of Lyon, and the mountain in Nice possibly stacked with a div.
Honestly, the French are no threat to Italy, and vice-versa: unless you're willing to play Russian roulette (which is of course always possible), this front is going to stand still. Attacking even a 3-3 in the mountain for the italians is at best +3 attack. he likehood of loosing both attackers is greater than the likehood of killing the 3-3... and it then opens up the front line of the loosing attacker (not to mention the loss of more than one turn in production.) Conversely, as an Italian, I'm not worried: the French won't attack for the exact same reason, increased by the fact that it cannot afford to loose units both on the northern and southern front.
I see. I guess I was too risk adverse for both sides (i.e., France and Italy) and over deployed units to this front that could better be used elsewhere.
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Germany Invades Poland!

Attachments
01TheNewYorkTime.jpg
01TheNewYorkTime.jpg (148.63 KiB) Viewed 333 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

It's War!

Once again in 20-years the continent of Europe is at war.

Many in the USA vow to sit this one out.

Attachments
01Notting..ing_Post.jpg
01Notting..ing_Post.jpg (183.81 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Sep/Oct 1939. Germany-Poland-Netherlands-France.

Where to start? Well let me start at the end of turn 1 with a cap of Europe.

The weather cooperated extremely well with German plans this turn. Germany's first three impulses (axis #1, 3 and 5) saw fine weather everywhere. The Polish army was destroyed, Warsaw captured and Poland effectively captured during these three impulse.

Highlights.

This turn lasted 9 impulses. The axis had 5 impulses and moved both first and last. The allies had 4 impulses.

Axis #1.
German ground strikes on the surprise invasion impulse (axis #1) against units in Lodz and Warsaw manage to disorganize all five Polish ground units located in those two cities, which included 3 infantry corps, infantry division and the Polish HQ unit.

Allied #2.
The CW and France declare war on Germany. The USA is not happy even though the German's are the aggressors and pulls a chit from the Germany/Italy entry pool. The Soviets march into Eastern Poland and take the Baltic States. Again, the USA is not happy about this and pulls a second chit from the Germany/Italy entry pool, leaving that pool empty. The message is clear, the USA wants no part with this new war in Europe.

The CW and French carry out three ground strikes against elements of von Leeb's 6th army positioned on, or near, the French, Belgium and Dutch borders. These ground strikes, which are carried out under a surprise impulse, are effective and manage to disorganize a German 7-5 mech corps and 7-5 infantry corps. This represents a disruption to a significant part of von Leeb's army and puts von Leeb in a difficult situation. The Germans have agreed to a coordinate attack on the Netherlands with the Japanese, which will happen next impulse, weather permitting. von Leeb had no doubt what the Fuhrer's orders will be on this matter.

Axis #3. Germany invades the Netherlands and manages to effectively conquer the country will less than half of his army.

Axis #5. Warsaw is captured and Poland is effectively conquered.

Attachments
01Germany..dFrance.jpg
01Germany..dFrance.jpg (1004.21 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

1. Sep/Oct 1939. The Baltic.

The Germans did decide to setup up 3 CPs in the Baltic and risk allied subs. And risk they did, but French and Dutch submarines were unable to find any of the German convoys.

By avoiding the allies subs, Germany was able to take all land impulses and still manage to get the three Swedish and Norwegian resource points.

Attachments
01BalticSea.jpg
01BalticSea.jpg (710.91 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

1. Sep/Oct 1939. Germany.

Germany's military objectives for turn include the conquest of Belgium and Denmark. Accomplishing that, they then plan to push west against the British and French as far as they can.

Attachments
01RTBGermany.jpg
01RTBGermany.jpg (917.47 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

01. Sep/Oct 1939. China. North Temperate.

To start with the Japanese "discovered" to their great disappoint that they didn't have an opportunity to declare war on the Netherlands on the first impulse. So they decided to fire up their armies in Northern China and begin their push against Mao and his communist. Standing between Umezu's army group and Mao was a nationalist garrison holding the city of Chengchow. No problem, Umezu got +14.8 on the assault table. Well problem. This was the first attack that I made of the game and my first attack in a while on the 2D10 table. I rolled a 2 for this attack! I think the 2D10 CRT was still angry with me for abandoning him in favor of his 1D10 CRT cousin in my last, and just completed, AAR. [8D]

Getting back, this 2 effectively shut down the Japanese in northern China for the reminder of the turn.

Attachments
01ChinaN..emperate.jpg
01ChinaN..emperate.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 332 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

01. Sep/Oct 1939. China. North Monsoon.

Attachments
01-China-N..-Monsoon.jpg
01-China-N..-Monsoon.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 332 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

01. Sep/Oct 1939. South China Sea.

OK, I want keep you in suspense any longer with regards to the Japanese and the Dutch East Indies. With two fine weather impulses (i.e., axis #3 and 5), the Japanese easily landed one the first and captured Batavia on the second of these two impulses.

An interesting side note. The USA did react to the Japanese DOW on the Netherlands and added THREE chits to the Japanese entry pool. However, the USA did NOT react to the German DOW on the Netherlands, which happened simultaneously with the Japanese DOW. The USA seems unconcerned with what's going on in Europe, but not with the Japanese in the Pacific though.

Attachments
01SouthChinaSea.jpg
01SouthChinaSea.jpg (838.61 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Ronnie
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

01. Sep/Oct 1939. Post RTB. The Dutch East Indies.

The Japanese have two naval task forces docked at Telok Betong and Batavia with 6-3 infantry, 6-3 marine and 2-3 inf amphibious capable units.

Attachments
01RTBIJN..tIndies.jpg
01RTBIJN..tIndies.jpg (663.84 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Ronnie

Return to “After Action Report”