A Glorious Way to Die: John 3rd vs. NY59Giants BTS: Lite

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

RE: NORPAC and CENTPAC

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: vicberg

Thinking of this mod, any Carrier born invasion by him will be a challenge until early to mid-1943. Whatever he's going to do until then (and I think it will be a crap shoot in early 1943) will be short hops. I would expect Burma, recapture Western/Northern OZ and then Java/Timor, if he wants to get aggressive before mid-1943. With the losses he's sustained, he won't have a transport capability for multiple invasion thrusts nor massive invasions. I'd look at where he can get the most with the shortest path.

I concur. Michael is most comfortable with small moves and ground warfare. I'm weakest in the ground area. That is why I hope to surprise him with my attack into western China.

He is presently trying to turn the tables in Burma along the coast. We'll see about that...

USS Lexington fell off the 'sunk' list. CRAP! Really wanted that carrier.

Revised sinkings from the Battle SW of Perth: Two Brit CVs, HMS Hermes, both ANZAC CAVs, and possibly both US CLVs. The Brits and ANZACs really took that one on the chin. Still excellent (for no loss) but I could have really used seeing Lexington sunk. How that damaged CVs escaped the entire afternoon round of air attacks that day is beyond me. Lucky ship!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

Suva Falls

Post by John 3rd »

Combat Report
July 9, 1942
South Pacific

Upon the third attack, the garrison of Suva surrenders. Two full Brigades and five other units become POWs. A total of nearly 8,000 men enter the camps. How about that?

The point of going up north and down here has been to destroy units. Nemo used to talk about that. I don't so much about the territory but I do care about all these destroyed units that I am forcing Michael to choose whether to rebuild or not. They all suck up squads that could be going elsewhere.

It 'appears' New Caledonia is empty. Is it worth taking and denying to the enemy? Hmmm...

Pick-up one of the two ID and send it to Burma.

Attachments
Suva79.jpg
Suva79.jpg (613.76 KiB) Viewed 47 times

John 3rd

Central Kangarooland

Post by John 3rd »

July 11, 1942
Central Australia

Got to keep Michael guessing.

Sent a pair of Armored Car units after fleeing survivors from Daly Waters/Tennant Creek. The boys did quite well until they ran into some Aussie Armor. The Aussies kicked the Armored Car units back to TC just in time for the 33rd ID to arrive and DRIVE the Aussie Tankers BACK towards Alice Springs. FUN! Wrecked these Aussie units.

Took Cloncurry with a TK Reg and have resources flowing from there. Making Michael THINK I am going for broke. NOT!

Western Australia screenshot to be posted next.

Attachments
Alice711.jpg
Alice711.jpg (641.72 KiB) Viewed 47 times

John 3rd

Western Kangarooland

Post by John 3rd »

July 11, 1942
Western Australia

The west side of Australias sees Perth firmly Japanese and two ID driving to take everything in the screenshot. We want Cunderdin, Albany, Esperance, Busselton and Kalgoorlie. Once those places are taken then we'll redeploy. One ID will hold Perth with a Brigade holding Kalgoorlie. Not staying long but plan to hold this area to deny it to the enemy and then fall back.

Want to HOLD Exmouth east...

Have several MSW headed to Perth then we'll load a crapload of resources to Java.

Attachments
WestAust711.jpg
WestAust711.jpg (662.89 KiB) Viewed 47 times

John 3rd

CBI

Post by John 3rd »

July 11, 1942
CBI Theatre

HERE is where the action is right now in the war.

Burma--India
Cox's Bazar
Two Divisions with lots of support and supply hold Cox's. They are opposed by two Brit ID and 7th Armored. Have built up a solid minefield here and have my BBs making regular runs bombarding the enemy. Forts are almost at 5.

NE Cox's
The Allies are trying to flank Cox's while the Japanese have 65th Brigade moving to do the same thing to them. It is a race.

Imphal
To make Michael fret some, there are three TK Reg and an ID moving on the dot base SW of IMphal and then we'll either move to cutoff the Allies at Cox's OR attack Imphal where the Burma ID is located.

ATA
There has been several heavy ATA days here recently. It has been highly frustrating as I have lost more then the Allies EVERY time. Have decided to consede command of the air over the contested hexes for a little while to save my good IJA pilots. Mr Tojo advanced from September to August and is about to move into the NOW for production. When Tojo gets going the first units to change planes will be the ones in Burma---THEN WE'LL FIGHT!

China
Michael has moved several aerial recon units into China and one happens to find the eastern edge of my China Offensive. Four TK Reg and a Cav Reg are moving to cut the road going to Kunming. He has redeployed several Corps to prevent this.

PLANS
Eastern Side
The TK will advance one more hex so they THREATEN to cut the road. This should force Michael to tie-down troops that will soon be needed firther west.

Central Prong
Three Infantry Divisions with some support are advancing towards the dot hex SW of Kunming. They HAVE NOT been spotted. The day they advance into the hex next to the dot hex (and be seen), Paras with jump and take the dot. While this will alarm Michael some, I doubt if it will cause a serious reponce immediately. Those three ID will advance on Kunming and be supplied by 100 Transport aircraft.

Western Prong
Two ID and lots of support is advancing from Lashio. They will take Paotan and then threaten Kunming.

Air
Aircraft are moving into Lashio, Haiphong, Hanoi, and Lao ???. We'll let the navy support Cox's Bazar while the IJA Bombers pound the chosen offensive area.

Attachments
CBI711.jpg
CBI711.jpg (966.46 KiB) Viewed 47 times

BattleMoose

RE: CBI

Post by BattleMoose »

Wow, didnt think you were going to take Perth!
John 3rd

RE: CBI

Post by John 3rd »

He abandoned it. I destroyed the CD unit present and that was that.

Michael told me today that he knew at least five ID were prepping for Western Aussieland. Absolutely true; however, three of those five are now marching into Western China...

John 3rd

Rushmore

Post by John 3rd »

Good Morning All.

There won't be many Posts this weekend. We're wrapping up the summer by going to Mt. Rushmore for a weekend of busy R&R. Gonna ride a steam train and play tourist. The family and I have never been there. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to see and things to do?

Canoerebel

RE: Rushmore

Post by Canoerebel »

John,

Been there a few times, including last spring. Some suggestions:

1. Be sure to go to Devil's Tower and hike aruond the base. Spectacular scenery. The hike only takes about an hour and your boys should love it. The drive from there to the Black Hills is lovely.

2. Wind Cave and Jewell Cave are worth doing, especially if your boys haven't done much caving.

3. The Crazy Horse sculpture is worth seeing.

4. The buffalo herds at the big state park (I think just south of Mount Rushmore) is great.

5. To be honest, I don't like Mount Rushmore that much. Or, I should say, I prefered the 1976 version much more than the 2014 version. I think they've tried too hard to make it "magnificent," like overdecorating a room. It's worth seeing, but you probably won't spend more than a few hours there.

6. Badlands National Park is the real gem in that area. Great scenery and lots of fascinating short trails that any boy would love. There's one trail to some place called "the window" or "the portal" that is particularly fun, includng climbing a ladder up a steep slope.

7. Avoid Wall Drugs unless you like Wal-Mart and Panama City Beach rolled into one. (Well, I suppose everybody needs to go to Wall Drug once....)
Have fun!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Dan! Should have known one of our famed Forum Travelers would have sound suggestions.

I know we're looking hard at Devil's Tower. Can I stand where Rooster Cogburn sat on his horse and re-enact one of my favorite scenes in movie history?

The caves sound like a lot of fun. Will run that by Paula.

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Greetings All.

We got back last night around 9pm from our trip to the Black Hills. Man---that is beautiful country! Felt like we were right at home traveling up the canyon here in Colorado. Cannot wait to post of couple of pictures. Got to touch a B-29 and B-52--that ROCKED! We rode the 1880s train, played with fossils, and went to an ole' fashioned chuckwagon dinner. Good times.

Got to get back to the war and do a turn. We've had some action in the WAY DEEP South Pacific as well as a tightening of things in India/Burma. Western China is now fully under way and the bad guys KNOW it!

pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

Ah yes, the war resumes. :)
John 3rd

SoPac Action

Post by John 3rd »

Combat Report
July 17-19, 1942
South Pacific

I've been waiting to see when Michael would make a move along the south edge of the map board and looks like he is doing precisely that presently.

Air Search had picked up a TF of several warship way down at Teboe Island just off the edge of the board in the Gambier Islands. This 'loitered' for days and simply struck me a bait. After watching a while I sent BC Ishitaka, 2 CL, and 8 DD to sweep into the hex. These ships were covered by a bunch of Zeros flying from my three CVEs. If it was a trap I wanted to be able to put up a fight and if not...

July 17th
The Japanese TF runs into CL Dallas and 4 DDs. In what SHOULD have been a quick fight, a real brawl develops with the Japanese crippling two DDs and putting some solid damage onto Dallas. In exchange have two DDs damaged and use up ALL our Ammo. CRAP!

To the east a pair of AMCs run into a troop convoys. The AMCs do well sinking a KV and pummeling two PCs as well as hitting 4 AP. The convoy is loaded as I get the message of 335 casualties. Hmmm... Before I can celebrate, 4 US DDs intercept the AMCs and sink them: DRAT!

One CVE flies a strike that sinks DD Stockton in the afternoon.

Air Search picks up numerous TF to the east.

Order the CVEs back as well as the empty BC. Form a STF of 2 CL and 4 DD to try and catch a TF...

July 18th
No activity. Air Search picks up the massive set of TFs moving west slowly. Decide that the TF is enough to warrant an attempt at getting in a lucky intercept by my 2 CL and 4DD. Send them east hoping for a night engagement.

July 19th
No engagement and, instead, they are caught by a large American strike while retiring to Tahiti. Five hexes away (SE) several US CVs launch a massed attack of 103 F4F, 68 SBD, and 14 Avengers. The planes do horribly but do hit my two old CLs with 2 and 3 bombs. A mouseover reveals NUMEROUS warships and TFs. Goodness! The CL continue their retirement NW as the CVEs and Ishitaka depart Tahiti for Pago Pago.

Deploy five my I-Boats (total now 9) in the line of Allied movement.

We'll see what happens next...

CLARIFICATION:
It is not my plan to fight at the edge of the map board with the Imperial Fleet. I am a pretty good believer in the Japanese distance reduction/attrition belief. We'll let my I-Boats and small forces work to whittle down the Americans if possible. This will force Michael to start his offensive a LONG WAYS AWAY!

The entire Kido Butai is headed for a rendezvous at Kobe. All ships will get a solid rest and CARDIV1 will get its upgrade. We stay long enough for the first Shokaku-Kai to be completed and join the Fleet. Want another month for fuel to get where it is needed in the Pacific so we can continue operations without issue.

PLANNING:
1. I am still convinced that Michael will come after the Aleutians before winter sets in. This is what I shall bank on for our next Fleet Engagement.

2. In case those CVs move towards the IO (to help Burma Coastline Offensive), I shall deploy enough assets at Cocos Isle and the edge of the mapboard there to tip me off of it occurring.

3. ALL seven BBs are now shuttling between Pt Blair and Cox's or Singapore and Cox's. I want Michael to continue moving troops into Cox's and between Akyab and Cox's so I have a shot of taking Chittagong from the interior. Will soon have 4 ID and 3 TK Reg available to strike...

Attachments
SoPac 7-19.jpg
SoPac 7-19.jpg (548.51 KiB) Viewed 47 times

John 3rd

SoPac Action

Post by John 3rd »

July 21, 1942
South Pacific

Attritional strategy?

I-172 has scurried down into the deep South Pacific hunting a large gathering of Allied shipping. She and nine other sisters and cousins are spread out hunting this mainly American formation of shipping.

Since 0400 this submarine has been waiting patiently as a large number of ships closed on its area. Sonar picked up very faint sounds and now they are deafening. Just after dawn on July 21st, the skipper of I-172 raises his periscope and finds himself in an immensely 'target rich' environment. At a range of 2,500 Yds he spots the unmistakable silhouette of an American Yorktown-Class carrier. Though at a poor angle he fires a full salvo of four Torps at this important target. Roughly two minutes later his shot is rewarded when a large geyser of water erupts on CV Yorktown's midships starboard side. NICE!

Taking the I-Boats down to 200 Ft the Captain easily avoids the depth charges hurled his way by three DDs. Nearly 3/4 of an hour pass (as his TT are reloaded) when he raises his scope again and spots an American heavy Cruiser just 1,000 Yds away. This one is a sitting duck. Once again all four tubes are used and this time two torpedoes smash into the vulnerable cruiser in the engine room area. A huge gout of escaping steam erupts from the hits and the ship shudders to a halt listing badly to Port. A concerted depth charge attack follows but no damage is done.

Raising his scope, the Commander of Imperial I-Boat I-172 spots the heavily damaged, perhaps sinking, cruiser moving slowly away. He quickly sends out a contact report to his follow I-Boat commanders pinpointing the area of the attacks and description of ships seen and damaged.

Perhaps her sisters can add to this pleasant showing...

Attachments
SoPac 7-21.jpg
SoPac 7-21.jpg (512.62 KiB) Viewed 47 times

John 3rd

SoPac Action

Post by John 3rd »

Combat Report
July 22, 1942
SoPac

During Guadalcanal it was called Torpedo Junction. The American warships operated in a known area and the Japanese flooded that location with Subs. Well gang...here we go...

Sub Action
Ro-66 fires 4 TTs at CA New Orleans and MISSES
I-156 fires 6 TT at the massive BC Constellation and SCORES TWO direct hits with Engine Damage and an additional Explosion. BANZAI!

CA Rome shows up sinking this round. Hmmm...wouldn't that be nice? No way Constellation sank but she is a LONG WAY from any useful Port and is obviously in a bit of trouble.

Surface ACTION
Off to the west, 3 Japanese DD launch a probable suicide lunge at possible shipping at Manareau. The DDs make contact with a Troop Convoy in broad daylight. The TF found is the same one my two sunk AMCs attacked several days ago. The DDs go in finding only the damaged DD Decatur and a PC defending two AVP, 4 AK, and a bunch of AP. Range starts at 17,000 and rapidly closes to 2,000 Yds as the Americans try to get underway. A flurry of 5" shells and Long lances crash into numerous ships. An AVP, PC, and 3 AP sink with a firther DD, 3 AP, and 2 AK hit. Over 2,000 casualties are inflicted by the sinkings and several sinking sounds add to the carnage later in the turn.

Amazingly enough the DDs are not attacked as they run like HELL for Tahiti. Job well done! Looks like we bagged a bunch of engineers. Nearly 150 non-cobat squads are destroyed. NICE!

Attachments
SoPac 7-22.jpg
SoPac 7-22.jpg (503.2 KiB) Viewed 47 times

John 3rd

SoPac Action

Post by John 3rd »

Here is the screenshot from my intrepid DDs:

Attachments
SoPacConvoy722.jpg
SoPacConvoy722.jpg (557.28 KiB) Viewed 47 times

John 3rd

SS Operations to Present

Post by John 3rd »

Japanese Submarine Operations
A Glorious Way to Die
Between the Storms Lite
Started: September 11, 2015

As stated in one of my earliest Posts in this AAR, high hopes were expected of the Japanese sub fleet. Considering the success over recent days, I felt it would be good to Post a complete updated sinking--damaged record for the sub arm. My master copy has SUNK ships bolded and, unfortunately, that does not translate well into the copy/paste of this Posting.

It seems crazy but the most successful sub in the Fleet is an Ro-Boat...

Here are the current totals:

July 5, 1942

Ro-Class
Ro-33
DD Trippe Siquijar 1TT 12-07-41
AP Legaspi Siquijar 1 Sh/1TT 12-08-41
AKL Luzon Siquijar 19 Sh 12-08-41
AP Neptuna Siquijar 2TT 12-08-41
TK Gertrude Kellogg Lucena 2TT 12-09-41
CL Java Kalidjati 2TT 01-23-42
CL Boise Broome 2TT 04-02-42
AVP Merel Port Hedlund 1TT 05-06-42

Ro-34
TK LaEstella Caltex Lucena 2TT 12-09-41
AP President Madison Tarakan 2TT 12-16-41
AK GG Maurice Long Esperance 2TT 05-25-42
AKL Merendoeng Esperance 1TT 05-25-42

Ro-61
AP David Branch Port Heiden 3TT 03-14-42

Ro-63
AV Langley Tawi Tawi 1TT 12-09-41

R0-64
AKL Escalante Davao 20 Sh 01-01-42

Ro-65
AKL Correigidor Parmekasan 1TT 12-26-41

Minelayer SS
I-122
AK Tai Sang Singapore 12-08-41
AK Wulin Singapore 3 Sh/1 TT 12-08-41

I-123
AP Candesa Taytay 1TT 12-08-41

1-124
AK Tantalus Sibuyan 1TT 12-09-41

I-126
TK Paula Semarang 2TT 12-08-41
AKL Mauban Biak 2TT 12-15-41

I-127
AKL Isla Philipinas Zamboanga 12-08-41
AK Si Kiang Jolo 1TT 12-10-41
AKL Magallanes Tarakan 1TT 12-21-41

I-Boats
I-1
AM Doomba Anatom 1TT 01-08-42

I-2
DD Bagley San Diego 1TT 04-02-42

I-3
AG Wanaka Warnamboal 1TT 03-10-42

I-6
AK Manulani San Diego 4TT 01-03-42
AKL Loyaute Kingscote 1TT 06-02-15
DD King Kingscote 1TT 06-02-15

I-7
AK Maine San Diego 2TT 04-26-42

I-8
AD Rigel Pearl Harbor 2TT 03-26-42

I-10
AS Fulton San Francisco 1TT 05-08-42

I-11
PC Kybra Ceduna 1TT 05-29-15
AK Era Whyalla 2TT 06-01-15

I-15
BB Colorado San Diego 2TT 06-01-15

I-19
AK Makawea San Francisco 3TT 03-18-42

I-20
PC Onodega San Diego 1TT 01-01-42

I-23
CVL King’s Mountain Victoria 1TT 01-05-42

I-24
AK Cape Alava Tacoma 2TT 04-06-42

I-25
AE Mauna Lea Hawaii 2TT 03-26-42

I-26
AK City of Dalhart San Francisco 1TT 03-17-42
AK City of Corrales San Francisco 3TT 03-17-42

I-153
AD Blackhawk Balikpapan 1TT 12-08-41

I-154
AP Van den Bosch Bandjermasin 3 Sh/2TT 12-11-41
AMc Batavia 1TT/2 Sh 01-30-42

I-155
SS KXIII Koggala 1TT 03-17-42

I-156
BC Constellation Mangareva 2TT 07-22-42

1-157
AK Nirvana Diego Garcia 2TT 12-16-41
AP Rajula Diego Garcia 3TT 12-16-41

I-158
AP Rohna Diego Garcia 3TT 12-21-41
AK Nirpura Diego Garcia 2TT 12-22-41

I-159
CL Dragon Muntok 2TT 12-07-41

I-160
AK Mundra Pt Blair 2TT 12-10-41

I-162
AK Wing Sang Trincomalee 2TT 12-12-41

1-164
AKL Pahang Sabang 1TT 12-10-41

I-165
AP Speelman Albany 2TT/1Sh 05-14-42

I-166
TK Aldegonda Oosthaven 1TT 12-08-41
CL Tromp Denpasar 2TT 02-15-42

I-169
AKL Kentuckian Prince Rupert 21 Sh 05-24-42
AM Chignecto Prince Rupert 1TT 05-30-42

I-172
CV Yorktown Mangareva 1TT 07-21-42
CA Rome Mangareva 2TT 07-21-42

I-173
KV Edmundson Cold Bay 1TT 02-12-42
AK Trento Cold Bay 1TT 02-13-42
AM Caraquet Sitka 1TT 07-05-42

Totals
Warships
SUNK
CA Rome
CL Dragon, Java, Tromp, Boise
DD Trippe, Bagley, King
SS 1

DAMAGED
CV Yorktown, Saratoga
CVL King’s Mountain
BB Colorado
BC Constellation

Other Sunk--Damaged
AD 1 1
AV 0 1
AE 1 0
AS 0 1
AP 9 0
AVP 1 0
TK 3 1
AK 15 2
AKL 8 1
PC 2 0
AM 4 0
KV 1 0
AG 1 0

TOTAL 46 7

John 3rd

CBI 7-24-42

Post by John 3rd »

Combat Report
July 24, 1942
CBI Theatre

China
The western China Offensive is now fully revealed to Michael and he is scrambling to move troops westward to counter the Japanese attack.

Mengtze
The dot hex falls on July 24th with a two division assault. Follow-on engineers and base force are on the way. The 3rd Infantry Division in this Corps was not present for the assault so Michael only knows of TWO and not THREE here.

Paoshan
The Imperial Guards arrive here about the 15th and have been under heavy air attack everyday. Japanese fighters continue to exercise in futility as Zeros and Oscars are swept aside by multiple waves of P-38s. Michael has used the off map air purchase system to buy out nearly 100 P-38 early. This would have been a steep cost in Political Points but they have taken control of the air over any location they want. MISTER Tojo just went into production and on it I pin my hopes. The Sweeps are followed by afternoon bombing by B-26, B-25, and B-17. They have been quite effective in raising Imperial Guards disruption to nearly 60%. The GOOD news is the arrival a second infantry division tomorrow. It has not been touched and shall shock attack across the river.

Any suggestions on LRCAP from a Japanese point-of-view would be most helpful!

East of Kunming
Four TK Regiments are about to take the road hex and cutoff reinforcements for a while. They won't be able to hold for long but I do hope they can for a few days allow me to get to Kunming...

Kunming/Kweiyang
The Airfields have pretty much been closed down by Sally and Helens. I have two large Sentais attacking each location and four smaller Bomber Chutai's hitting troops along the road to slow their march towards Kunming.

India--Burma
Cox's/Akyab Region
The Allies are moving here IN FORCE. So far two British IDs and the 7th Australian ID have been located. The 7th Armored Brigade is also at Cox's. It would 'appear' that the other Aussie ID is about to enter the hex between Cox's and Akyab (7th Aust ID present now). More troops are presently moving into the area.

I am LETTING them do so. Really WANT Michael to fully commit everything here.

An Inf Div is about to take Kalemyo (SW of Imphal). There are 4 TK Reg with it. This will present a direct treat to his flank from that direction.

There are three ID presently on course for Rangoon. A fourth will soon follow. This large conglomeration of power needs to be used for a powerful counter-stroke. The question is how?

OPTIONS:
1. I've really seriously been toying with the idea of landing with all four ID at VIZA NOW. The problem with that is it does not directly threaten his army on the coast.

2. Overland--We could move up to Kalemyo and then move against Chittagong.

3. They could be moved north to attack Imphal--Ledo and DRAW AWAY the Allies.

4. Could land directly against Chittagong.

5. I have two Parachute units available to augment the 4 ID.

Opinions to these choices and anything I might not have thought of would be welcome.

Attachments
CBI722.jpg
CBI722.jpg (970.79 KiB) Viewed 47 times

bigred

RE: CBI 7-24-42

Post by bigred »

p-38e. should have a high maintence rating. Can u night bomb his bases.
---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400
John 3rd

RE: CBI 7-24-42

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: bigred

p-38e. should have a high maintenance rating. Can u night bomb his bases.

Good idea.

I just recon'd all his northern India bases and found Dimapur AF-7 (F-38, B-95, Aux 75) and Ledo at Sz-8 (F-72 and Aux-103). Ordered a coordinated strike tomorrow on Dimapur of 150 F and 150 B.

Will strongly think on the night attack angle. Have never done well with those. Anyone had a GOOD experience with night stuff?

Return to “After Action Reports”