Fisherman Spent 3 Years Building Massive 24-Foot Long Lego USS Missouri

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Zorch

Fisherman Spent 3 Years Building Massive 24-Foot Long Lego USS Missouri

Post by Zorch »

Attachments
missouri.jpg
missouri.jpg (70.81 KiB) Viewed 550 times
Yaab

RE: Fisherman Spent 3 Years Building Massive 24-Foot Long Lego USS Missouri

Post by Yaab »

Well, if you build it, the girls will come... Kates, Bettys, Nells...
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Wonder what they use for blueprints or do the guys that do stuff like this just wing it.
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

In the video he said that he took plans of the ship and blew then up to scale and used the to lay out the shape of the hull. It took 700,000 bricks to just get a two brick high initial shape of the hull [X(]
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

My first impression was "only in America", but then I read that the guy is actually from Scotland. He surely has not been economical with the LEGO bricks.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

This is soooo......going to get him some hook ups...Chicks really dig these things.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Look cool, but I am not much into legos, to me it just kid things.
Knavey

Post by Knavey »

Take a look at what he has on the shelves. Looks like maybe Arizona and a CV.
x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

You could say the same thing about gaming too. I know my parents did [:)]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

You could say the same thing about gaming too. I know my parents did [:)]

You mean they tried to kick you out of their basement? [:'(]

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Now all he needs is to build some catapults or trebuchets so he can egg-o his legos.

bomccarthy

Post by bomccarthy »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Now all he needs is to build some catapults or trebuchets so he can egg-o his legos.

You have been caught in the Madison Avenue web - Leo Burnett implanted a tagline in your head 43 years ago, and it's still there.
wegman58

Post by wegman58 »

I saw something on another forum (might be useful for this guy if they are real) - Legos that look like wood (with a picture of a Lego you can barely see on a wood floor) - PURE EVIL!

Bill Goin
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

On the subject of Legos; I am also a model railroader and was at the National convention one year, Cincinnati I believe. Our substantial N-trak layout was next to a Lego railroad exhibit. I was working on an electrical issue under the layout and I heard an "Oh, $hit" and a crash and a scattering of Lego bricks across the floor, some of which ended up next to me under our layout. Some one dropped a Lego train car and it split into all its tiny components. Most of them were grey, and the floor was a grey epoxy. We were still finding pieces under our layout when were were tearing down.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Surely he got the "You love your Legos more than me" argument....assuming he has a significant other still.

He must have been unable to close his garage door for most of 3 years. My HOA would already have a lien on my house. I get a letter if my trash can is still out after 12 hrs.
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

How long before Legos sells a kit for this? Can you buy it on layaway?
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

Nice...
Halsey

Post by Halsey »

Double post...
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

There was an recent article in UK newspaper (showing his "competitor" as well)...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rival.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/v ... souri.html
You're going to need an even bigger boat! Fisherman, 51, spends three years building 'world's biggest' Lego model of warship USS Missouri - only to be beaten by just inches by an American rival

Jim McDonough painstakingly built 24ft scale model of 890ft USS Missouri out of thousands of toy bricks

When he embarked on the model in 2012, his research told him it was going to be world's biggest Lego ship

But his three-year world record effort has been in vain after he was been pipped at the post by an American

By Amanda Williams for MailOnline

A Lego-mad fisherman spent three years building the world's biggest model of a US warship - only to find an American rival had beaten him by inches.

Jim McDonough painstakingly built a 24ft scale model of the 890ft USS Missouri with thousands of toy bricks in Redford, near Arbroath in Angus.

When he embarked on the model in his garage three years ago, his research told him it was going to be the biggest Lego ship in the world.

But he's been pipped at the post by American enthusiast, Dan Siskind, of Minneapolis, whose creation stands at 25.5ft long

The Lego-mad fisherman spent three years building the world's biggest model of a US warship - only to discover he had been beaten to the title by an American rival by just inches

He has even built accompanying military transport for the ships. The 51-year-old, has a garage crammed with a flotilla of battleships, aircraft carriers, planes, fishing vessels and landing craft - each one painstakingly built from Lego

The real USS Missouri. The original warship was the site of the surrender of the Empire of Japan, which ended the Second World War

But it seems his effort was in vain - after he was been pipped at the post by Minneapolis-based enthusiast Dan Siskind, whose creation is 25.5ft long.

Mr Siskind used more than one million Lego bricks to recreate the 1:35 scale of the USS Missouri.

Mr McDonough prides himself on not gluing them together - which he regards as 'cheating'.

The 51-year-old has a garage crammed with a flotilla of Lego battleships, aircraft carriers, planes, fishing vessels and landing craft.

His 1:40 scale model of the USS Missouri is moored beside the USS Arizona, sunk at Pearl Harbour, and a Japanese carrier with lines of Zero fighters.

Mr McDonough and grandaughter Leigha with the USS Missouri (left). Mr McDonough prides himself on not gluing them together - which he regards as 'cheating'

Mr McDonough broke down his first models in order to save space and use bricks on later projects, but he is running out of garage room since the family begged him to keep them

He said: 'I think the biggest in the world is a few inches longer, but when I started building mine three years ago it was probably the biggest.

'I don't use glue and everything can be taken apart. If you go to Legoland it's all glued together, which to me is cheating because anyone can glue stuff together.'

When asked whether his next project, the carrier USS Saratoga, would be built larger in order to compete, he said that would not be in keeping with the scale of his other vessels.

The original warship was the site of the surrender of the Empire of Japan, which ended the Second World War.

His partner Mandy, 51, said the family have supported his passion, even when sections of the Missouri took over the kitchen in winter.

He said: 'I think the biggest in the world is a few inches longer, but when I started building mine three years ago it was probably the biggest'

Mr McDonough said his family are now running out of space and need a bigger house and bigger garage to house it all

Historic moment: The original warship was the site of the surrender of the Empire of Japan in 1945, which ended the Second World War

Unfortunately, his efforts were beaten by Mr Siskind's. His Lego ship stands at 25.5ft long, and it took him more than 1 million bricks to complete the project

Mr McDonough broke down his first models in order to save space and use bricks on later projects.

But he is running out of garage room since the family begged him to keep them.

'When Lego was invented I was about four or five and have kept buying it since then,' he said.

'But we're running out of space and need a bigger house and bigger garage to house it all.

'The last thing you want to do is build that, take a picture and break them down again.'

Mr McDonough works on an Arbroath-based dredger and spends much of his cabin time drawing the world he sees around him.

The ship, a replica of the 45000 ton Iowa class battleship built by the New York Navy Yard, was painstakingly built over months

The Lego ship pictured mid-construction, with accompanying plans. The ship is still under construction as there is still some work to be done, but is already 25.5ft long

Mr Siskind spent months working on the ship - nicknamed the Mo. He said he hopes it will be complete by September

Under construction: Mr Siskind said that he had been working ‘30-hour marathon’ sessions to build his version of the USS Missouri

Looking inside: Mr Siskin said he believes 'it's the longest ship of any kind built out of Lego in the world' - but admits he 'could be wrong'

Largely self-taught, the fisherman has spent years drawing subjects on request from friends and neighbours.

'I've got too many hobbies and not enough time to do them all,' he said.

Impressed by the size and detail of the recreation - each is built from plans sourced online - the USS Missouri memorial museum in Hawaii has highlighted his model.

Mr Siskind told American TV show Beyond the Brick that he had been working ‘30-hour marathon’ sessions to build his version of the USS Missouri.

He said: 'As far as i know, it's the longest ship of any kind built out of Lego in the world. I could be wrong, someone correct me if I am.

‘It's built in ten different sections, 30 inches long each. It’s built to travel - this is a museum piece.’

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

At first glance, some of those pics looked like he modeled the interior spaces too! Lol...that would be insane!
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”