Fortified Zone Replacements

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

jhdeerslayer

Fortified Zone Replacements

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Playing the Germans against Allied AI and early 44' now. I noticed the Zones I built in Italy have not filled up with replacements even though built months ago. On Refit, Max TOE is set to 100% but actual has been stuck at 1/1 for a long time. Supply Priority to them is 3 and reporting to AG C.

Is this just due to general lack of German replacements or am I missing something? I disbanded all the Zones I could along the Italy/France border thinking that might increase some pools but no apparent help.
RedLancer

RE: Fortified Zone Replacements

Post by RedLancer »

Do they have depots near?
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Yes, varies from 1-5 hexes away and 3-4 depots level at that.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

What's the German active manpower pool? Have you made sure the Max TOE for the forts is set high? A lot of the starting forts have very little manpower in them so they don't gain you a lot when you disband them. Did you check the supply detail window for some of the forts to see if they are failing admin rolls?
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Feb 26, 1944 and 44,206 in Pool. Attached pic is one (but none of my Zones in Italy are refitting) of the Zones in question. I'm sure I'm missing something under the hood how this all works. Thanks for the help to understand. Yes the Zones in question are ones I built in Italy and sent them to 100%.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (450.97 KiB) Viewed 120 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Are you sure that 44k is the active German pool, and not the active axis pool? Go into your production screen. Click the name GERMANY on the top right. Click ALL POOLS on the bottom right (so it reads Active Pools).

Now what does your manpower read?
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

See attached based on your suggestion. 32k now. Right? Thanks...
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (580.32 KiB) Viewed 119 times
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

It shows 4 admin failures (which is the max before the unit stops trying to get stuff) and it also shows no manpower 50 which means there was no manpower left when in the under 50% of TOE phase. What HQ is in charge of the fort units? You can always post a save game for us to look at, but sounds like you've got a command issue and/or a manpower issue.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Thanks Joel - For this zone, it's attached to Army Group C with Pico still in charge. File too big to attach so send into support?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

You can email to 2by3@2by3games.com.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I ran your save one more turn after changing some logistics setting to make them more likely to get men and all of those fort units had 4 admin failures again. I ran yet another turn and 3 of them managed not to have admin failures and they got between 250 and 850 replacements. So this is a case of lots of admin failures and also shortages of men (otherwise they would have gotten even more replacements once they made their admin rolls). It's possible that with your settings they wouldn't have gotten much anyway as you have a lot of manpower going to the eastern front, although I would have expected them to get some manpower. You could try setting them to a HQ with a 4 supply priority, or attach more of them directly to local corps HQs so they get more admin rolls.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Thanks Joel and kind of you to take a look. I will fiddle around and see what I get. Managing the EF is still a work in progress for me so we'll see about backing off on replacements and some other things you suggest.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”