Problem Loading Aircraft in SF

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RayYoung

Problem Loading Aircraft in SF

Post by RayYoung »

Hi!!

I need to turn this over to the brain trust.

I play the Allies in a GC Scenario 1 game.

It is Dec. 17, 1941.

I have some P40s in San Francisco. I bought them out to the Pacific theater and I have sufficient transports in transport mode docked at SF.

I load Troops and there are the aircraft I need. I select them and all seems to be going well, they are assigned to the ships and I release any "extra" back to the pool in SF.

The problem comes when the turn is completed and I look at the TF that was suppose to have the planes. They are now back on the dock...apparently in boxes...and not loaded.

Am I supposed to wait for them to be crated up and they will eventually load in another turn or two or is there something else I am doing wrong?

As always, I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks,

Ray
525MI Saigon 67/68 TET VET
Alfred

RE: Problem Loading Aircraft in SF

Post by Alfred »

1.  This is not a bug so should not be raised here.
2.  There is never any "extra" planes to be sent back to the pools.

Check whether you have:

(a) set the TF a destination
(b) the unload toggle is on

If you don't set a destination the TF remains at the pier at the end of the turn.  It can't guess where you want it to go.  If it remains at the pier with the unload toggle on, it is going to unload as that is precisely your orders.

Alfred
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

If a transport/cargo/amphibious TF is loading with unload set and no destination set, the port where it's loading is the destination and it will start unloading as soon as it finishes loading. Planes are unloaded first.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

That's funny because I have done that. I loaded a bunch of Marines in San Diego with the intent of sending them to Pago Pago. After a few turns and the TF didn't move, I looked at it. Sure enough, all my Marines were back on shore. I had forgot to set the destination. Never made that mistake again.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
afspret

Post by afspret »

One trick I use is to toggle on the Do Not Unload tab in the TF screen box, that way nothing gets unloaded until I decide to do so.
John E. McCallum
RayYoung

Post by RayYoung »

I am sorry for misposting in the wrong area. I am not really sophisticated in this respect.
However, all the answers were helpful.

I will certainly try to be more selective in where I post.

You are all great.

Thanks
525MI Saigon 67/68 TET VET
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: afspret

One trick I use is to toggle on the Do Not Unload tab in the TF screen box, that way nothing gets unloaded until I decide to do so.

+1 That way you can stage them to another intermediate port, refuel and wait for the right time to go (for an amphib operation) without worrying about unloading at the wrong place.

There's just one problem, when you forget to turn that off and they arrive at the beach and sit there while you're being pummeled by CD guns. [:@][:D]

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Another trick is to give them an open sea hex as a destination with stay on "remain on station" so you can co-ordinate multiple TFs before heading to the target.

I blew that one though when I gave a mine laying TF those orders to wait 'til the coast was clear. They dumped about 200 mines in the middle of nowhere. [:@]

Return to “Tech Support”