Non-steam version

Sovereignty: Crown of Kings is a turn-based fantasy strategy game for the PC. It offers a intuitive yet deep province system, allowing you to raise armies, conduct diplomacy, scout enemy battle lines, rally heroes to your banner, send them on quests, cast spells and go to war. In Sovereignty, the player chooses one of 35 Realms in a bid for dominance of the map. Play is conducted in a series of turns as a single player game. Each Realm has a unique culture and history, which translates directly into different play-styles. Each realm has its own mix of unit types and spell trees. Their diplomatic relations, economies and histories vary. A player may choose a new realm and experience the game in a very different way. Fantasy heroes, troops, races and spells complement the rise to power.
Krashzero

Non-steam version

Post by Krashzero »

My apologies if this has been asked. For those of us who have no desire to use Steam, but have already purchased the game, will we be notified when it is available for download? Or should we just check from time to time?
Many thanks.
budd

RE: Non-steam version

Post by budd »

from what i understand the early access will be about a year. I imagine it will be listed as released on the front page when it goes official.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

I too hate Steam, but went ahead and logged into Steam to get the game installed. I then went to offline mode to play it. It still bugs me that Steam client needs to load to run in offline mode, but for this game I think putting up with Steam for now is worth it. Later I’ll un-install it and use strictly the Matrix version once it’s available.

Note to Matrix: I think it’s a real disservice to force your loyal customers to put up with a service they hate like Steam just to access the early release. The game should be available to run in non-Steam mode as well.

Jim
Krashzero

Post by Krashzero »

Many thanks to both of you for replying.

Jim: Couldn't agree with you more, regarding your point.

Many thanks again,

Jon
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

The problem is we would have to maintain and update two platforms and as we are a very small team, that would be precious time lost we otherwise could invest into game improvement and development.

On another note Steam is by far the easiest platform we ever encountered to update and deliver updates/patches to customers and in case it goes wrong they can simply recover to an older version...

For Early Access it was and is the smartest thing to do.... once we are past that we will try to get the game on as many platforms as possible as a final product, but we know how much extra work that will take to deliver and maintain, so for the best of the EA development process, Steam is ideal for us.
Krashzero

Post by Krashzero »

Firstly, my apologies, I had not realised you had put a post up regarding my query. Secondly, it is much appreciated you took time to reply.

I do not dispute that maintaining a game on two platforms would be difficult, especially when Steam is involved. While I appreciate that, for you as a developer and game producer, Steam is an easy way to update a game, as a games player and buyer I take great displeasure/dislike to be expected to install an intrusive piece of software and be expected to log on to the internet to play it. I do not always have access to a connection and so would not be able to play it when I choose. I have to say from your reply, realistically, I do not think you will be releasing it other than via Steam. I'm just glad you released Panzer Corps and Armageddon via Matrix before going to Steam because I would never have had the chance to own and play them.

The above is written very politely and with no offense meant.

Again, many thanks for replying.
Jestre

Post by Jestre »

ORIGINAL: Krashzero

Firstly, my apologies, I had not realised you had put a post up regarding my query. Secondly, it is much appreciated you took time to reply.

I do not dispute that maintaining a game on two platforms would be difficult, especially when Steam is involved. While I appreciate that, for you as a developer and game producer, Steam is an easy way to update a game, as a games player and buyer I take great displeasure/dislike to be expected to install an intrusive piece of software and be expected to log on to the internet to play it. I do not always have access to a connection and so would not be able to play it when I choose. I have to say from your reply, realistically, I do not think you will be releasing it other than via Steam. I'm just glad you released Panzer Corps and Armageddon via Matrix before going to Steam because I would never have had the chance to own and play them.

The above is written very politely and with no offense meant.

Again, many thanks for replying.

I too was interested in this game until I saw it was steam-only for now. Wont buy a game using Steam so I will wait til it comes out thru Matrix.

Its a shame I have had to give up Civ and Total War series because of the decision to go Steam only by those companies..
Zap

Post by Zap »

I too am steam free. So lost interest in this one.
Astyreal

Post by Astyreal »

Its a shame I have had to give up Civ and Total War series because of the decision to go Steam only by those companies..

You see who's losing out in this exchange, right?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i too dislike steam, but as so many games are steam only or easier to maintain on steam took the plunge and installed it, steam is very easy to use, light in it's approach, doesn't spam or do any adverts and they say 100% they never ever will either, so re think guys, you are missing out on what's not only free, but does give access to some good steam only titles[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

ORIGINAL: Asty

You see who's losing out in this exchange, right?

I would say everyone is losing out, the company is losing many possible sales and the potential customers will either cave and install something they didn't really want (steam) or forget it and move on to another game.
"Personal isn't the same as important"
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

Much as I hate to say it, Steam is so dominant these days as the primary source of PC game distribution I no longer think it's reasonable to expect developers to accommodate those who refuse to use it. If the economics suggest such accommodation is a good idea, it will happen (no Steam cut if you buy direct, after all), but I suspect the number of 'lost sales' because of Steam exclusivity these days is very, very few.
OttoVonBlotto

Post by OttoVonBlotto »

Really have things gotten that bad, I still would like to think there there are plenty of really good developers not using a steam only route and still quite a few buyers who don't want to buy using steam, at least 3 in this thread of 12 posts and 2 or 3 others who didn't want steam but wanted to play so much they did give in and decided to use steam so they could play.

I will certainly be waiting until the game is released in a non steam format and if it is steam only at the end then I will live without it and play another game.
"Personal isn't the same as important"
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Much as I hate to say it, Steam is so dominant these days as the primary source of PC game distribution I no longer think it's reasonable to expect developers to accommodate those who refuse to use it. If the economics suggest such accommodation is a good idea, it will happen (no Steam cut if you buy direct, after all), but I suspect the number of 'lost sales' because of Steam exclusivity these days is very, very few.

I just don't want to give into the dark force. Steam represents to me as just "another step towards giving my whole life over to another power" primitive thinking pattern , maybe. I purchase but don't really own it. Giving issue that fits in my perspective about the whole internet thing Cloud, other venues that own a part of me. It just something instilled in me, to resist, dangerous control on my freedom and independence. Probably, not the clearest presentation of my thinking process but it is what it is. So I don'tsee me going steam.
theshard92

Post by theshard92 »

I too await the non-steam version. As for the person who says to just knuckle under and install steam, lets bring to your attention. There are several non-steam distribution sites that do not use steam and some that use no drm at all. I'm sure leaving links to those sites would probably get me banned or something but I can assure you they are there. And yes I have left several series of games as a follower, simply because they are on steam only. yeah I don't get to play their games but they also loose a loyal customer. When a certain drm free distribution site started publishing all sorts of games not only did I sign up and start buying I rebought many games just to support the companies decision to be good to us. The bonus of not having to search through a bunch of cd/dvd is a plus. I already own over 400 games on their catalog... so yeah they are loosing out.... I'm a big boy I don't have to play their game.... IF i buy a car I don't want to have to call the dealer to start my car everytime I want to use it.... I prefer drm free but even an activation code or cd requirement is one thing... ok we are "leasing" games not buying.... then you better offer them at rental prices.... just my 2 cents....

Return to “Sovereignty: Crown of Kings”