GD1938 Game 18 AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

cpdeyoung

RE: GD1938 Game 18 AAR

Post by cpdeyoung »

Germany has declared war on the Soviet Union.

The USSR was active this month.

Stalin
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Germany attacked the more aggressive Soviet thrusts and caused damage.

The USSR pushed hard in the Baltic plain and ground away at the German units there. Soviet naval infantry raided Kiel, and the Red Banner Flotilla sank some U-boats. The Soviet Navy also sank some Spanish vessels off Marseilles. The Italian peninsula is under extreme pressure, and Rome is in Soviet hands.

Here is a graph of the "Force" aggregate of the various nations :

Attachments
G18T46Force.jpg
G18T46Force.jpg (118.49 KiB) Viewed 89 times
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The Red Army pushed hard against both Germany and Italy this month. Germany is putting up a tough fight. Berlin was attacked, but held out. Strong pockets of German resistance, often in fortified positions, shield powerful mobile forces. A glance at the graph above reveals that the Soviets are roughly three time as strong as the Germans. This is the classic ratio that allows for offensive progress, and we are seeing such progress, but tough positions take time to overwhelm.

Italy is far weaker, and nearly the whole of the "boot" has been captured. There are still Italians fighting in France and Spain, and here the fighting is more fluid.

Happy Frenchmen have liberated Lyon, but the Red Army Staff have had to warn them not to get between the Red Army and its goals. The Soviet Union categorically states that we are not interested in the occupation of France or Italy after the battle is won. Germany may have to be occupied by the victorious powers, but here too the Soviet Union denies any long term interest. The USSR must defeat the Axis first, peaceful withdrawal to Eastern Europe comes later.

Stalin
falco148

Post by falco148 »

Both Germany and Italy would like to offer unconditional surrender at this stage.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Thanks for the game Jeff, looking at the raw power of your adversaries understandable. Thanks to Daniel Chuck and Jeff R, if the Japanese want to continue certainly I will but its a steep mountain to climb for the Japanese, the British/France Soviets USA and China.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

The Japanese and Game 18 were my introduction/education and first PBEM game of ATG and this excellent mod. After realizing the Japs were finished as a World power, I've been mostly building and researching. Thanks for a great first game everyone!
JRR
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The aggressive Soviet strategy in this game probably led to the reaction in Game 20. The USSR had a lot going for it, but failed to make the attack which would have prevented the early Chinese victory.

Tom said at the time that the USA and China could make this almost a routine victory, but the Soviets could have taken a Chinese city and prevented it. My failure to do so led to my disappointment.

Tom kept his eye on the prize and gained a fine Chinese victory. Well played.

Chuck
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Thanks Chuck but to be honest the Chinese required Hong Kong, that was a gift from the British not requested at the time. So I would like to claim I played for victory with the Chinese but that would be fairly flat out wrong. And since I tend to play within the constraints of the politics of the day and now, I would not have considered a raid on the British by the USA and China to take Hong Kong, hence my surprise at having it gifted. I presume the British preempted a war with China and the USA, in that case, that war was not coming but the British were not to know this.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

Return to “After Action Reports”