Tale of the Sheep! - JocMeister (A) vs. Lowpe (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JocMeister

RE: Ambon falls!

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]New Month![/font]

So March is finally here. With it comes some goodies from the Allied plane industry. Numbers like this would make a Japanese player either laugh or shake their head. But to us poor AFBs this is pure gold! [:D]

While the Dutch reinforcements are 2 months too late the US ones are very, very welcome. The F4F-4 will be a great boost. It means I can upgrade the CV squadrons currently flying F4F-3s and use them to upgrade some USMC squadrons currently flying Buffaloes.

I also have some squadrons flying Bolos that are set to upgrade to Marauders/Havocs. Which in turn means I can start filling out some of the training squadrons using B18. This will speed up training a little.

The LR version of the Hudson is also a great boost from the Hudson I when it comes to range. This is pretty much the backbone of naval search in OZ and will increase search capabilities a lot.

Attachments
aireplacement.jpg
aireplacement.jpg (252.88 KiB) Viewed 41 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

What will be your go-to ASW aircraft Jocke?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

What will be your go-to ASW aircraft Jocke?

That´s a really good question! Let me get back to you on that! Need to look through the PDU OFF upgrades and see what I have to begin with! [:D]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I tend to go with the Hudson III (LR) for ASW after using the at start Wirri-coffins for training. Let the American carry the bombing mission load.
[center]Image[/center]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I tend to go with the Hudson III (LR) for ASW after using the at start Wirri-coffins for training. Let the American carry the bombing mission load.

I´m not sure how many (if any) coffins that upgrade to the Hudson? On the cell so I can´t check in game. I bet most of them upgrades to coffin mk. II (Boomerang) [:D]

In PDU ON I always use the Hudson so I hope its doable with PDU OFF. Can´t remember how I did last game.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]March 1st 1942[/font]

Got an extra turn today. [:)]

------------------------
NORPAC/WC
------------------------

What looks like a amphib TF is spotted outside Cold Bay. Target Kodiak?

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

A TF suddenly appears landing troops at Ndeni. I´m within range but have to go at full speed and ditch Voyager which is low on fuel. Won´t have enough fuel to get back to OZ. Sending some long range cargo ships to meet them and refuel. Its probably the same TF I spotted two days ago. Wish I would have picked them up last turn so I would be in a better position. Or even intercepted them before the unloaded troops...
17th Infantry Regiment is planning for an attack on Suva.

Unlikely this is a real one. 17th is part of the 8th ID which starts in Manchuria. Although a very good ID I doubt he has the PPs to spend on it this early.

------------------------
China
------------------------

Didn´t take long for Jeff to find the sealcub club. Armor and arty is simply a fail safe and 100% guaranteed victory in China. [8|]

Notice the adjusted Japanese AV and assault odds and compare it to the Chinese losses.
Ground combat at 83,45 (near Nanyang)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 22666 troops, 248 guns, 187 vehicles, Assault Value = 654

Defending force 48433 troops, 244 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1142

Japanese adjusted assault: 496

Allied adjusted defense: 2179 Much good it did me... [8|]

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 4

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1174 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 115 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 16 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2238 casualties reported
Squads: 36 destroyed, 148 disabled [8|]
Non Combat: 13 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 19 (4 destroyed, 15 disabled)

Assaulting units:
34th/C Division
6th Division
5th Armored Car Co
12th Tank Regiment
15th Tank Regiment

40th/A Division
1st Army
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
52nd Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
92nd Chinese Corps
90th Chinese Corps
59th Chinese Corps
66th Chinese Corps
22nd Group Arm
y

Pretty much screwed due to supply anyway (all units on the perimeter is now showing red) but results like this really rubs me the wrong way. B

------------------------
India
------------------------

Japanese subs claim their first hit in the IO!
Sub attack near Trivandrum at 27,45

Japanese Ships
SS I-162

Allied Ships
xAK Lulworth Hill, Torpedo hits 1
CL Ceres
DD Vendetta
xAK Marion Moller
xAKL Nanchang
DD Encounter

Despite a massive explosion Lulworth (best name ever btw! [:D]) she is fine with 32 FLT.

Attachments
SOPAC5.jpg
SOPAC5.jpg (180.5 KiB) Viewed 41 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Well...hello there!

Attachments
KB.jpg
KB.jpg (162.73 KiB) Viewed 41 times
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

Joc-

I am ay March 3, 1942 with El Lobo and I am experiencing the same dire results in China.

It is like the Chinese move on oxen-pulled wagons and fight with hammers and tongs against experienced, well-equipped Japanese Divisions.

Sounds like WWII, huh?

Good luck!

Best Regards,

-Terry
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Rio Bravo

Joc-

I am ay March 3, 1942 with El Lobo and I am experiencing the same dire results in China.

It is like the Chinese move on oxen-pulled wagons and fight with hammers and tongs against experienced, well-equipped Japanese Divisions.

Sounds like WWII, huh?

Good luck!

Best Regards,

-Terry

This is like the 5th time I experience the futility that is China. Very depressing! [:(]

And thank you for dropping by! [:)]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]Here comes the Orcs![/font]

How cool is this?! [:)]

99% sure this isn´t a feint as the full KB is here. Lost 7 Cats this turn! [X(] Also Jeff is flipping turns like crazy which is kind of telling! [:D]

Attachments
Canada.jpg
Canada.jpg (253.92 KiB) Viewed 41 times
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Well, this could get extremely interesting.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Victoria isn't worth that kind of risk, but the aircraft industry in Seattle ...
Canoerebel suspected that bombing of industry was a possibility so he reinforced Coal Harbour before the Japanese could easily take it. The game ended when the Japanese NA gambit stalled out.

Get your AA, fighters and bombers to Seattle now! Bring every sub you have to Vancouver Island! He can't bomb you without supply.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Extensive update coming tomorrow. Way past bedtime here as the littlest one wake up around 5...wanted to send the turn back to Jeff before heading to bed!
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Well, this could get extremely interesting.

Exactly!

Best Regards,

-Terry
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

THE BRITISH ARE COMING THE BRI AHH I MEAN THE JAPANESE ARE COMING THE JAPANESE ARE COMING.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

With regards to the results in China...

That casualty report is well within the margins for what I expect. Assault odds and values are not equivalent to firepower. A 1:4 odds attack doesn't mean that the side on the "bad" end of that 1:4 stick is going to take 4x the casualties. Assault values and attack odds are only there to determine if the base is captured, what happens to forts if anything, etc. There's also a high degree of fog of war at times. I never trust those numbers. I look in the hex after each combat phase to see what really happened.

What determines casualties is firepower - the antihard/antisoft values in the device profile of each device in combat. The IJA devices fighting your Chinese here have an enormous advantage in those areas. Also keep in mind that Chinese squads are formed of more "men", so the number of troops per unit of assault value is higher.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

With regards to the results in China...

That casualty report is well within the margins for what I expect. Assault odds and values are not equivalent to firepower. A 1:4 odds attack doesn't mean that the side on the "bad" end of that 1:4 stick is going to take 4x the casualties. Assault values and attack odds are only there to determine if the base is captured, what happens to forts if anything, etc. There's also a high degree of fog of war at times. I never trust those numbers. I look in the hex after each combat phase to see what really happened.

What determines casualties is firepower - the antihard/antisoft values in the device profile of each device in combat. The IJA devices fighting your Chinese here have an enormous advantage in those areas. Also keep in mind that Chinese squads are formed of more "men", so the number of troops per unit of assault value is higher.

I know all that. [:)] But China still makes me mental every time it happens!
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]March 2nd-5th 1942[/font]

A flurry of turns last night as the Japanese approach the Canadian coast.

------------------------
NORPAC/WC
------------------------

Its the real deal. The Japanese are going to invade Canada! [X(] Target looks to be Coal Harbour on Vancouver Island. There is also a lone TF up in the Gulf of Alaska going for Whittier.
203rd Ship Eng Coy is loaded on xAK Mikasa Maru moving to Whittier.

This of course triggers some Allied responses but more on that in a separate post.

------------------------
China
------------------------

We finally manage to intercept the Japanese bombing runs of the Ankang roadblock. Sadly the Nates takes the brunt of the attack but 10 Japanese bombers are shot down by the AVG. Another 14 Nates are also shot down.

Another attack on the Ankang road. We barely hold. Notice the adjusted AV dropping with 2000...that is why you can´t fight without supply.
Ground combat at 83,45 (near Nanyang)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 35126 troops, 319 guns, 180 vehicles, Assault Value = 1130

Defending force 33956 troops, 168 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 862

Japanese adjusted assault: 489

Allied adjusted defense: 517

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-) <-- Now it begins...
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1718 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 128 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 41 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Vehicles lost 45 (11 destroyed, 34 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1555 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 105 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 31 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

Assaulting units:
70th Division
5th Armored Car Co
15th Tank Regiment
34th/C Division
9th Ind.Mixed Brigade
6th Division
12th Tank Regiment
40th/A Division
52nd Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
1st Army
6th Medium Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
92nd Chinese Corps
90th Chinese Corps
66th Chinese Corps
22nd Group Army

------------------------
India/Burma
------------------------

Fragments of the 18th ID have now secured the Adamans. They are prepping for Chittagong which I find kind of unlikely at this stage.

The unit moving for Katha turns out to be a Tank Regiment. Don´t think that is enough to dislodge the 1st Burma and the Gurkhas. But the IGD are coming up from Bhamo so I´ll start pulling out shortly.

Allied bombers attack the Japanese at Katha doing little damage. 3 Nates or on LRCAP but they fail to do anything.

------------------------
SOPAC
------------------------

The Ndeni landing get away without the Allied TF connecting. Due to events in NORPAC allied forces immediately start loading at Sydney and Melbourne. Target will be to secure lower SOPAC in strength including Noumea, Fijis and the Samoans. A Japanese commitment in Canada will allow me to be more aggressive here.

Attachments
Canada2.jpg
Canada2.jpg (396.68 KiB) Viewed 41 times
JocMeister

Canada Invaded!

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]Canadian Invasion[/font]

So the Japanese 2nd phase target is finally revealed! A bit disappointed in my SIGINT guys that never caught even a whiff of this. Perhaps a posting to Alaska will help them in the future...errr...never mind! [:D]

Not much allied activity triggered by this though as I´ve prepared for this since the early grab of NORPAC. I´ve shifted some AA from the south towards the North. I´ve also started moving some troops towards Prince Rupert in case Jeff goes straight for the mainland. I already have 2 RGTs and some nasty CD guns behind level 3 forts. As a boon its x3 hex. Allied shipping left the WC 2 months ago. What I did do though was reroute every available sub towards the area. In a stroke of luck many subs about to rebase to Prince Rupert where in the invasion area. Another 6 S-Boats are just passing Eureka. 2 more are repairing at SF and will be ready in a few days. I´ve diverted a few fleet boats currently moving for SOPAC to the WC. Greenling and Haddock are just a couple of days out from Balboa. There will be no USN surface vessels committed. At least not at this stage.

Most likely though this is an attempt at strat bombing the US industry. I learned some good lessons in my game vs. Tom that will come to good use if that is the case.

- Allied air force cannot defend the airspace. Japanese quality and quantity will very quickly overwhelm even massed allied fighters. I have something here though I did not have against Tom. A small number of P-38s. These guys can really wreck even KB piloted Zeroes. I´ve sent 33 of the best AVG pilots into the reserve to fill out a 20 plane P38E squadron.

- AA is what will stop/slow down the strat bombing. When Tom started bombing in OZ I had pretty much no AA available at all. On the WC things are quite different. I have 12 Coast AA regiments spread out on the WC coast.

- Unless Jeff lands on mainland Canada he will need to build AFs to fly from. This will give me quite some time unless Jeff risk KB planes to hit industry which seems unlikely.

------------------------
Questions
------------------------

- Will Canadian industry give Japanese strat bombing points?
- Where is the reinforcement trigger line? The US border?

------------------------
Priority concerns
------------------------

Protect mainland USA from possible invasion. Especially against a Japanese landing at L.A and/or San Diego that would permanently destroy the airplane production there. A loss of any of those locations would be a catastrophic event. Losing LA would probably mean game over as most (all?) P38/P51 production takes place there.

------------------------
Secondary concerns
------------------------

Protect industry in Canada and Northern USA from a Japanese bombing campaign. Resist a Japanese landing on mainland Canada. Protect Seattle against invasion and its B29-25/B17G production.

Return to “After Action Reports”