The Kaga Returns

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

desicat

The Kaga Returns

Post by desicat »

crsutton

RE: The Kaga Returns

Post by crsutton »

All, I can say is that they had better tighten up the defenses at Pearl Harbor....
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Fantastic!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
desicat

Post by desicat »

The comments section in the linked article are an embarrassment. Given the state of the world, and the Pacific Region in particular, it may not be such a bad thing to have a few extra force projection assets available in that theater.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Let us hope the IJN continues with more. Did read that this is a class of four ships?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

No. Two Kagas to add to two existing ships of another class.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
desicat

Post by desicat »

From Wiki:

"The Japanese Ministry of Defense (MOD) first announced plans for the class on 23 November 2009. This ship's primary mission is anti-submarine warfare (ASW) but peacekeeping and disaster relief operations are also being considered.[4]

The ship carries up to 14 aircraft.[5] However, only 7 ASW helicopters and 2 search and rescue (SAR) helicopters are planned for the initial aircraft complement. For other operations, 400 troops and 50 3.5 ton trucks (or equivalent equipment) can also be carried. The flight deck has 5 helicopter landing spots that allow simultaneous landings or take-offs. The ship is equipped with 2 Phalanx CIWS and 2 SeaRAM for its defense.[1] The destroyers of this class were initially intended to replace the two ships of the Shirane class, which were originally scheduled to begin decommissioning in FY2014.[4]

In 2010, Forecast International reported that some design features were intended to support fixed wing aircraft such as the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey and Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, although neither the MOD nor the JMSDF have mentioned the possibility of introducing fixed-wing aircraft.[6] The ship has neither a "ski-jump" nor a catapult, typical features for launching fixed-wing aircraft.[7] If the Izumo class were to operate fixed-wing aircraft, they would be limited to those capable of STOVL (short take-off, vertical landing) operations; Japan has acquired the F-35A for use by the JASDF, but has not indicated whether it would purchase the STOVL F-35B version. [8] It is also noteworthy that ships designated, LHA and LHD of the United States Navy, both of which can operate F35B and OV22 aircraft, have neither ski-jump ramps or catapults. (USN is the largest operator of these classes of vessel with over a dozen in 2 classes.)

The construction of the first ship of the class began in 2011 at an IHI Marine United shipyard in Yokohama,[9] with funding totalling 113.9 billion yen ($1.5 billion) being set aside in the fiscal 2010 budget for this purpose. Commissioning of the first of class is currently scheduled for 2015."

The Japanese have noted the value of US CV's during humanitarian missions during operations supporting the great Tsunami in Java and Thailand. After the 2nd Gulf War Japan provided fuel to Allied forces but JMSDF personnel longed for organic A/C to support their operations. Japan already has the ability to replenish at sea so these CV's are the next step. Note how the Izumo class is larger and builds upon the Hyuga design. I would like to know more about the elevators and hangar bay size/design.

I expect Japanese PM Abe to begin planning for the construction of a ski jump CV in the near future. I'm not sure the F-35 will meet their expectations so an indigenous A/C may be modified or designed as well. The Japanese will not stand idly by as the Chinese expand their navy and footprint.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I guess it is time to bring back the USS Enterprise!

Japan already ordered OV22s but I don't think they will be in a hurry to buy STOL F-35s... their adversary is China, thus ASW platforms is really what makes the most sense.
desicat

Post by desicat »

Japanese A/C Production

Yes, please bring back the "Big E". Naming CV's after Presidents does not improve morale.
reg113

Post by reg113 »

Ray Mabus, SecNav, announced 01DEC12 that CVN-80 will be named Enterprise. [;)][:)]
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

Do the Japanese have Akagi,ShoKaku, ZuiKaku in the fleet or have plans to re-introduce these names as well ?
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

On a slightly different topic, I am a big fan of Godzilla movies (Japanese ones ). And in most of them Japanese army and navy ( with much self confidence which soon is revealed to be hollow/wrong) take an active part in trying to defeat ( and fail ) Godzilla and co. On top of that, at least 2 movies bring the topic of 'global wars' as the reason for big G's appearance. In one of thme it's stated that 'the souls of people who died horribly in the pacific war' created godzilla.

I saw those movies as examples of anti-war movement.

I also think it's particularly interesting to see Japanese rank as one of the lowest scorers for the quiz ' would u die for your country ?' which I have recently read...somewhere.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Do the Japanese have Akagi,ShoKaku, ZuiKaku in the fleet or have plans to re-introduce these names as well ?

The "Maritime Self-Defense Force" has a Sōryū and an Unryū, but they are submarines. They also have a Hyūga and an Ise (Helicopter carriers), and a Kongo and Kirishima (Aegis destroyers).
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... onventions
Helicopter destroyers and Helicopter carriers (DDH) — traditional provinces and mountains
Guided missile destroyers (DDG) — mountains and weather terms
Small destroyers (DD) — weather terms
Frigates (DE) — rivers
Submarines (SS) — ocean currents and legendary auspicious animals
Replenishment oilers (AOE) — lakes
Amphibious transport docks and Troopships (LST) — peninsulas

- Any new Shokaku and Zuikaku would now be submarines (like Soryu, Unryu).
- A new Akagi can be a helicopter carrier destroyer or a guided missile destroyer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”