Suggestion regarding missile hit mechanics

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Dimitris

RE: Suggestion regarding missile hit mechanics

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: DrRansom

First, good news on the reduced visibility after motor burn-out

I have a question about the missile modeling, do you model:
A. Proper intercept trajectories, e.g. Proportional Navigation or Ballistic Fly-out to increase range, a la S-400 / SM-6?

Yes.
B. Decreased maneuverability at high altitudes and increased drag at low altitudes?

No on the former, yes on the latter.
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

To tack on to what ckinfinite said, if you watch the brief that cheechako posted, it mentions that the saying "speed is life" no longer applies. He goes on to say that the least impressive thing about the Raptor is it's maneuverability. "Super agility" what's probably added to the list of characteristics when the F-22 was the only 5th-gen fighter and we'd had limited operational experience with it. Now that we've we've figured out how to use the Raptor, and seen that the F-35 can bring those same advantages without the agility, the characteristics were revised.
Cheechako

Post by Cheechako »

ORIGINAL: ExNusquam

To tack on to what ckinfinite said, if you watch the brief that cheechako posted, it mentions that the saying "speed is life" no longer applies. He goes on to say that the least impressive thing about the Raptor is it's maneuverability. "Super agility" what's probably added to the list of characteristics when the F-22 was the only 5th-gen fighter and we'd had limited operational experience with it. Now that we've we've figured out how to use the Raptor, and seen that the F-35 can bring those same advantages without the agility, the characteristics were revised.
Yup, that was one of those - whoa, here's a pilot whose had experience across multiple U.S. air-frames and he's telling you all the beliefs you had as a pilot until now are wrong. And, that the newest pilots coming straight into F-22s were the most lethal because they weren't thinking like a 4th gen pilot.

That's why these planes are 5th gen - not just because Lockheed Martin says so.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Their 5th gen because they were designed with a CAD system.
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

Now with the prevalence of off-bore sight AAM's, I wonder how important agility is even in a dog fight. i mean, if I can fire and hit a plane at my 9 o'clock....I'm not sure how important it is that I be able to out turn him
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

There are two kinds of "agility" to consider.

1) Supreme nose-authority (to rapidly point and launch a SR-AAM) as exhibited by e.g. the F-18, Su-27 & MiG-29. (F-22 and Su-30/35 w/TVC even more so)
2) Ability to rapidly change the flight *vector* (e.g. supersonic crank right after a BVR launch, to ruin the incoming enemy's DLZ, or a super-Split-S to trash the engagement geometry of an incoming SAM).

HOB AAMs are reducing the importance of the former, but the general increase in lethality of all anti-air weapons makes the latter all the more important. Not getting into the enemy's envelope (or remaining inside it as little as possible) is now more vital than ever, and improved kinematics are a large part of that. The F-22's supercruise, high-altitude capability and high-alt, high-Mach agility are based on this realization.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

My only concern here is the US especially is banking on these theories. We heard similar theories in the late 50's and early 60's. So guns were left off a number of fighters in the US and UK. And look what happened when combat inevitably happened...

I see a very similar tech superiority arrogance happening with these types of discussions recently.
ckfinite

Post by ckfinite »

My only concern here is the US especially is banking on these theories. We heard similar theories in the late 50's and early 60's. So guns were left off a number of fighters in the US and UK. And look what happened when combat inevitably happened...

2 points:

When the guns were put back on, it didn't help. (In Vietnam, the Navy never put guns on their F-4s, they just improved missile techniques, and got a better kill rate than the gun-equipped air force aircraft).

Technology is really different than in the 50's and 60's. If I said that what was possible with an IBM 360 was the limit of what's possible today, that would clearly be wrong. Electronics in particular have moved a long ways since then, and extrapolating electronic performance from 60 years ago to now is not a good idea (clearly, cellphones are useless because they weigh 10 pounds and have a 5 minute talk life).
2) Ability to rapidly change the flight *vector* (e.g. supersonic crank right after a BVR launch, to ruin the incoming enemy's DLZ, or a super-Split-S to trash the engagement geometry of an incoming SAM).

Hmm, I hadn't thought of this. What kind of aircraft features improves performance in doing these maneuvers? I understand how to improve the qualities of #1, but less so #2.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

It has very little to do with technology. Its about the application of technology and unforeseen limitations until practical experience. What happens if the ROEs are so that you have to visually ID an aircraft on a stormy day. There are a number of things that engineers can't foresee. It just seems that we are dismissing potential issues too easily.
Coiler12

Post by Coiler12 »

I should add that (my main source is Marshall Michel's Clashes: Air Combat Over North Vietnam, and I talked about it in my writing on the F-4):

-Eighty-one percent of American losses came from crews who never saw anything until it was too late. Thus it's an argument for better sensors and networking over any sort of weapon.
-There was a justification for leaving out the cannon-that you'd just try to get into turning fights with more agile opponents. However flawed, still a justification beyond "We don't need one with these missiles".
-Since Vietnam, fighters have not been swimming in cannon kills.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

They don't swim with cannon kills because of the environments they are fight in...

1) Outdated enemy air strategy
2) Outdated enemy equipment
3) ROEs that aligned with missile kills
4) 100% logistics for the air environment

That last one could be the main reason to have guns...if a full blown war comes about and your missile kill ratio is around 30-40%, you could very easily run out of missiles. That could be especially true if the war disrupts the supply chain of critical electronic missile components for a short time.

I am not an advocate for some kind of return to WW1 dogfighting. I am just pointing out that you almost never fight the war you expect. You need to prepare for it not going your way. Throughout history, depending on one path to success leads to the risk of defeat.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: ckfinite
Hmm, I hadn't thought of this. What kind of aircraft features improves performance in doing these maneuvers? I understand how to improve the qualities of #1, but less so #2.

A few:
* Large thrust and SEP (bleed as little speed as possible on the sharp break and recover it as fast as possible)
* Large wing (use aerobraking for the sharp turn) and tail surfaces (to impart the necessary turning momentum)
* Thrust vectoring, same reason
* Compact, "boxy" load-bearing aircraft structure to withstand high Q (compare YF-22 with YF-23)
* High G tolerance (both AC and pilot)
jdkbph

Post by jdkbph »

ORIGINAL: Cheechako

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxK6O5--9Z0

Here's the perspective of a hornet, super hornet(as a Top Gun instructor), viper, F-22 and F-35 pilot. He also did a tour as a FAC in Iraq. It's probably one of the best interviews I've seen explaining what is 5th gen - and why it's a big deal.

Nice. Thanks for posting that.

JD
JD
Zaslon

Post by Zaslon »

ORIGINAL: ckfinite
I am talking about the lockheed's classification which many people use today (they forgot the super-agility which was dropped by Lockheed when the F-35 enter in the field).

Super maneuverability is not a game-changing feature the way LO is. It's been present since the 3rd generation in various forms, and has been especially prevalent in Russian 4th generation designs. Why? Because the Russians don't have the ability to keep up with the West in terms of electronics or stealth coatings, as demonstrated with their eternal AESA trouble and PAK-FA maladies, and need to sell it for all they've got. It's only really useful in the low-speed endgame, when you have a single chance and then you're dead. Agility is not a deciding factor in determining which generation an aircraft fits into.

The idea behind the 5th generation moniker is that it denotes aircraft that incorporate the more modern network based sensor model, as well as stealth. This looks to be a very good distinction going forwards, too. Look at the difference between the Eurofighter, the Gripen, and the Rafale, and what's coming next. We have the ATD-X, the PAK-FA, the J-20 and J-31, K-X, and a lot besides. These aircraft are fundamentally different than the eurocanards because they have stealth functionality and systems designed around that stealth capability. VLO capability is a good distinction, because it draws a clear and easy to distinguish line between these generations. Lockheed may have made the term up, but these future aircraft projects are demonstrating that their criterion has a lot of merit as a distinguishing feature.
Yeah, we consider that a MiG-29 and a F-15 are both 4th gen designs. Both designs are very very different. They followed different phisolophies, use different technologies. If we apply the same rigid criteria that we use in the 5th gen, the Soviet fighters should a 3.5, 3++... But nopes. MiG-29 and Su-27 are both 4th gen fighters.

There are a fixation about VLO. If the fighter have VLO you are 5th gen, if not it's a 4th gen, 4,5 or 4++. It's a very rigid criteria that was never used in previous generations.

So why? It's very curious, specially when maneuverability, top speed, range, BVR capacity... are intrinsic parameters of each fighter (only depends of the fighter). But VLO isn't an intrinsic parameter of each fighter. Maybe, ATM VLO is an illusion if the new S-400 can work in a bistatic mode for example. We know that PAK FA and Su-35S have two radars, one working in X-band an a wing radar working at L Band...So We cannot treat VLO in the same way that we treat other parameters. Now F-22 can have VLO, but tomorrow nobody knows.

We don't know if the new Chinese designs are VLO, we think that but only based in the angular shape of the fuselage. And also we think that the lack of an angular shaped fuselage in the Eurocanards means that they aren't stealth. Stealth isn't an absolute parameter (Either you have or you haven't).

Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

So why? It's very curious, specially when maneuverability, top speed, range, BVR capacity... are intrinsic parameters of each fighter (only depends of the fighter). But VLO isn't an intrinsic parameter of each fighter. Maybe, ATM VLO is an illusion if the new S-400 can work in a bistatic mode for example. We know that PAK FA and Su-35S have two radars, one working in X-band an a wing radar working at L Band...So We cannot treat VLO in the same way that we treat other parameters. Now F-22 can have VLO, but tomorrow nobody knows.
What we do know, however, is that VLO designs reduce detection radius, regardless of the radar equipment being used. In C:MANO, the F-22 is detected by the PAK-FA's wing radar at 31 nm, vs 119 nm for an F-15C. This represents a 90% reduction in search area for the wing radar. So VLO, even if less effective in certain bands, will still change things.
We don't know if the new Chinese designs are VLO, we think that but only based in the angular shape of the fuselage. And also we think that the lack of an angular shaped fuselage in the Eurocanards means that they aren't stealth. Stealth isn't an absolute parameter (Either you have or you haven't).
Actually, we have a very good idea that the J-20 is a VLO design: http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-2011-03.html

You are correct, stealth operates on a spectrum, so RCS reductions can have a tangible effect even if they don't approach "VLO" status. So while the many new 4.5 gen aircraft like Super Hornet include "stealth features", they won't yield the same reductions in search area/difficulty in detection as something that is designed from the ground up to include those features.
Zaslon

Post by Zaslon »

What we do know, however, is that VLO designs reduce detection radius, regardless of the radar equipment being used. In C:MANO, the F-22 is detected by the PAK-FA's wing radar at 31 nm, vs 119 nm for an F-15C. This represents a 90% reduction in search area for the wing radar. So VLO, even if less effective in certain bands, will still change things.
The laws of physics are the same for all. Radar equipment is fundamental for RCS. Power emission, wavelength and polarization of the wave are parameters for RCS formula.

Here Carlo Kopp wrote about VHF radars
Passive radar and the future of the US military airpower by Westra.

Actually, we have a very good idea that the J-20 is a VLO design: http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-2011-03.html

You are correct, stealth operates on a spectrum, so RCS reductions can have a tangible effect even if they don't approach "VLO" status. So while the many new 4.5 gen aircraft like Super Hornet include "stealth features", they won't yield the same reductions in search area/difficulty in detection as something that is designed from the ground up to include those features.
Thanks for the link.

We haven't a very good idea. We can suppose. The Authors present the study as a 'preliminary assesment'. A preliminary assesment never can be seen as an evidence, fact or absolute statement. It's more than a hint, a clue.

Also in the conclusion, the authors wrote:

In conclusion, this study has established through Physical Optics simulation across nine frequency bands, that no fundamental obstacles exist in the shaping design of the J-20 prototype, which would preclude its development into a genuine Very Low Observable design.

They aren't saying that the J-20 is an VLO design.
Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I think the main problem is they drafting boards and T-squares to design parts of the J-20.
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

ORIGINAL: Zaslon
The laws of physics are the same for all. Radar equipment is fundamental for RCS. Power emission, wavelength and polarization of the wave are parameters for RCS formula.

VHF radars offer better performance against stealth targets that are optimized for the FCR bands (S/X). However, better performance does not mean that they can detect stealth targets at the same ranges as non-stealth targets. Detection in these bands is the result of resonance off of certain aircraft features, and even if these features are not optimized for the VHF band, they will still offer some use. Recall that in the F-117 shootdown, the F-117 was detected at a range of 30-37 miles (by a VHF radar), much closer than if the the F-117 had been conventionally shaped. Because effective search area decreases with the square of detection range, this reduction represents a significant reduction in search area.

Thanks for the link.

We haven't a very good idea. We can suppose. The Authors present the study as a 'preliminary assesment'. A preliminary assesment never can be seen as an evidence, fact or absolute statement. It's more than a hint, a clue.

In conclusion, this study has established through Physical Optics simulation across nine frequency bands, that no fundamental obstacles exist in the shaping design of the J-20 prototype, which would preclude its development into a genuine Very Low Observable design.

I believe you are misreading the context of the conclusion. The article was written in response to initial responses that claimed that the J-20 prototype could never be a VLO design because of it's engines, or it's shaping, etc. So while Kopp is saying that the prototype is not VLO, the production variant can be build to that standard.

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I think the main problem is they drafting boards and T-squares to design parts of the J-20.
If you assume the drafting boards are 1m^2, how far away could you detect them with a VHF radar?[:D]
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Depends if they are wood or plastic. also the hinges are metal and would be a huge factor in RCS.
Zaslon

Yeah! gangsta

Post by Zaslon »

ORIGINAL: Zaslon

VHF radars offer better performance against stealth targets that are optimized for the FCR bands (S/X). However, better performance does not mean that they can detect stealth targets at the same ranges as non-stealth targets. Detection in these bands is the result of resonance off of certain aircraft features, and even if these features are not optimized for the VHF band, they will still offer some use. Recall that in the F-117 shootdown, the F-117 was detected at a range of 30-37 miles (by a VHF radar), much closer than if the the F-117 had been conventionally shaped. Because effective search area decreases with the square of detection range, this reduction represents a significant reduction in search area.
Exactly, they can detect stealth targets at the same ranges as non-stealth targets, it's a possibility, not an absolute statement. They can lost his advantage. Remember that there are some parameters in addition to the wavelength.

The F-117 was tracked by a older Soviet P-18 radar without field mods.

[/i]
Thanks for the link.

I believe you are misreading the context of the conclusion. The article was written in response to initial responses that claimed that the J-20 prototype could never be a VLO design because of it's engines, or it's shaping, etc. So while Kopp is saying that the prototype is not VLO, the production variant can be build to that standard.
So... we haven't a very good idea that the J-20 is a VLO design. It's a posibility. [;)]

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”