Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Eambar

RE: Roll Call Thread Addition

Post by Eambar »

Australian, living in London, 48. Grew up in Sydney, joined the Army after school and received a degree courtesy of the Australian Defence Force through the then new, Defence Force Academy. Spent 15 years in the Army, logistics officer and went to some interesting places. Post military, continued on in the same profession just not in uniform.

Interest in war games came from a teacher who started a wargame club at school (although I had hundreds of plastic soldiers and I read the "Commando" series of comics over and over). Tried my hand at everything from role playing (D&D and a classic that never took off - Tunnels and Trolls), miniatures (came last in the 1986 Tin Soldier Ancients Division tournament with a Gallic Army consisting of three medium infantry warbands and some expensive but useless chariots)and boardgames. Still have those old boardgames proudly on the bookshelf.

Got into WITP through an AAR posted years ago over on the Paradox forums, I don't recall the author but it was so well done I had to buy the game!

Cheers,
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

heads up, this is just an apolitical joke
I just realized why the RNC divided their candidates into two groups for the debates. If they'd had Ben Carson and Rand Paul on the same stage they'd have had a paradocs.

Just curious, why would Paradox let someone do an AAR there for a Matrix game?

RayYoung

Post by RayYoung »

How interesting the background here. I enjoyed reviewing them.

We all seem similar in so many respects..interest in history and all.

Me. I was raised in Iowa in the US. Have lived on the east coast and currently in Georgia. Been fortunate to travel the world widely starting with a tour in Vietnam in the year of the TET offensive. Born in 1947 and always enjoyed war games.

Still learning the ins and outs of this. I played the original WITP on a DOS machine way back maybe 20 years ago. I only recently found WITP-AE and couldn't resist investing in it. No regrets.

Actually, the help I have found here and the knowledge base you all provide has kept me interested. As I get deeper into the game it is fascinating the level of complexity and detail that has been programmed into this. Sometimes it does seem like "Quartermaster of the Pacific" and the logistics are a bit overwhelming.

I haven't played anything but AI to this point trying to get the gist of it all. Hoping to develop into an opponent worthy of some of the more experienced players at some point.
525MI Saigon 67/68 TET VET
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Go ahead and dive into it with an opponent of similar experience, if for no other reason to get the mechanics of a PBEM down.

The AI teaches you about the mistakes you might make against the AI, not so much a human. Get the early ugly surprises out of the way.

I was born in '57 and I don't know how much time I have left to wait for someone as young as yourself. Get moving!

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Funny that the reflexes of the "OPFOR" are the same, whether a Germans says she was scuttled or a British says she was sunk [;)].

Concerning the subject - we have at least one mod that brings the KM into the Pacific (with or without Bismarck), so there you go [:'(].

But I'm afraid we are taking the thread too far OT here.
warspite1

Just to be clear - and in all seriousness for a minute - I genuinely couldn't care less whether the Bismarck's crew scuttled the ship or she was sunk through torpedo, or she was holed by shells below the waterline or any combination thereof. It is totally meaningless.

Because whatever caused the German battleship to finally disappear beneath the waves does not alter the fact that she was beaten beyond hope long before that happened (and frankly, even if she wasn't she was still put in a situation where the Germans thought they had to scuttle her). The British had to sink her and she was sunk. End of.

I cannot imagine any American is crying in his soup at the thought that their navy aircraft didn't actually sink the Japanese carriers at Midway for the same reason. By the time the Japanese scuttled their ships, they were long past being of any use to anyone. The Americans had to sink them and they were sunk. End of.

Sums it up... Ya think.[:'(]
warspite1

Well quite. I think yes, but sadly some don't understand that reasoning....[:(]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

Funny that the reflexes of the "OPFOR" are the same, whether a Germans says she was scuttled or a British says she was sunk [;)].

Concerning the subject - we have at least one mod that brings the KM into the Pacific (with or without Bismarck), so there you go [:'(].

OPFOR Says :it was NOT a goal in '66 ! :) for any football fans here..
warspite1

...and with the greatest respect to OPFOR, OPFOR doesn't know what the hell he/she is talking about [;)]

That was easily a goal - anyone could see it was miles over the line - hell, you can clearly see it hit the back of the net. [:D]

England 4-2 West Germany [8D]

Official actual footage of Geoff Hurst's 2nd goal. Honest.
Attachments
150495781.jpg
150495781.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

Sydney, Australia ... Northern Beaches (Harbord/Manly Vale) mostly apart from an odd few jaunts to outlying places while working as Teacher (History, of course) for the NSW Department of Education (1977-2014), now gainfully retired.

Always interested in History, from Primary (Elementary to no Oz types) School ... eventually doing a double major in History at Sydney University (Ancient, Modern, Medieval).

Started wargaming with SPI/Avalon Hill Games I chanced on in adverts on the back of Analog SF/F magazine in the late 1960's and early 1970's, then got into Role Playing Games (D&D White Box, Empire of the Petal Throne and, later, co-writing Space Opera [FGU] and other stuff for assorted companies) and computer games around 1981 with an Apple IIe with early SSG games (amongst others).

Thence via Apple Mac (from literally the first shipment into Oz ... had to beg to be allowed to buy a box of 31/2" disks at the time, so scarce were they) and Amiga through to IBMs and all sorts of computer war (and other) games over the years ... still dabbling, even though I am currently preparing a military themed WW3-ish RPG for a Kickstarter campaign (hopefully for early September) and that is taking up most of my free time at the moment.

Phil McGregor
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
Eambar

Post by Eambar »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Just curious, why would Paradox let someone do an AAR there for a Matrix game?

Back then, they allowed pretty well anything on their OT sub-forum. There were plenty of non-Paradox game AAR's on there.

Cheers,
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

OPFOR Says :it was NOT a goal in '66 ! :) for any football fans here..
warspite1

...and with the greatest respect to OPFOR, OPFOR doesn't know what the hell he/she is talking about [;)]

That was easily a goal - anyone could see it was miles over the line - hell, you can clearly see it hit the back of the net. [:D]

England 4-2 West Germany [8D]

Official actual footage of Geoff Hurst's 2nd goal. Honest.

OPFOR has found this http://www.england.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... p?a=193848

ps. correction, I am not really OPFOR, Bismarck did got sunk by RN ( even if it was scutlled after that time it wouldnt have changed a bit )
PeteG662

Post by PeteG662 »

Near to DC in Northern Virginia.

Tallyman
kstoddard2

RE: Roll Call Thread Addition -where are we all from ?

Post by kstoddard2 »

U.S.A

Utah

Born at Mather AFB, in Sacramento, CA. But been a Utahn since I was 2.

Kyle
I'm starving, get me a scotch!
stuman

Post by stuman »

Interesting read.
Lived in West Tennessee all of my life.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

Native Texan. Lived here my whole life except for the time I was in the corps and a brief time in Illinois. Originally a yankee from North Texas...now I am in East Texas.
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”