I Hate This

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Harrybanana

I Hate This

Post by Harrybanana »

Especially since up to this point all my attacks had succeeded. I don't think there is much point in posting in the Tech Forum as doubt it can be duplicated. So I'm just venting. I am sure this has never happened to any one else:)

Attachments
HateThis.jpg
HateThis.jpg (161.84 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Robert Harris
Helpless

RE: I Hate This

Post by Helpless »

Can you describe when and how it happened?

Was it AI game?
How long you were playing?
Did you have any issues with the sound before?
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Musikka

Post by Musikka »

On my PC both WitE and WitW have serious sound related issues. If certain codec packs are installed, program crashes straigth away. Even without codec packs, crashes occur from time to time. Crashes do happen in both Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Only (so far) sure fix has been renaming sound folder to another name. Luckily for this kind of game playing without sounds is not that bad :)

Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Can you describe when and how it happened?

Was it AI game?
How long you were playing?
Did you have any issues with the sound before?

It occurred the moment I right clicked on the highlighted HQ. But it has happened to me before at different times.

It was a server game.
I had been playing for about 2 or 3 hours.
I don't recall any issues with sound, but I have a hearing impediment so perhaps not the best judge.

The game is generally stable. We are on turn 47 and this is I think about the 3rd that it has crashed. Always in server games. I don't recall any problems in games against the AI.
Robert Harris
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

If certain codec packs are installed, program crashes straigth away.

Can you provide the names of these codec packs?
Pavel Zagzin
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

I've had two or three CTDs the whole time I've had the game (thus hundreds of hours played). Last one (with the current release) I recall it happened when I clicked on the leader's link in an HQ box to check his stats.
< 2yr old daughter hit the power button my laptop once - disabled that afterwards, and took the hint! [:)]

It does sting when you know those hours just disappeared...
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Musikka

Post by Musikka »

ORIGINAL: Helpless
If certain codec packs are installed, program crashes straigth away.

Can you provide the names of these codec packs?

MaxVR video player suggested installing "LAV Filters 0.63.0". With that one installed game crashed every time I tried to move a unit.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Unfortunately it is not crashing on my PC with LAV filters installed.
Pavel Zagzin
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Did you two install the specific version 0.63 or the most recent version 0.65 ?
Did you get the installer files from https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases ?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

0.63. Yes.
Pavel Zagzin
Musikka

Post by Musikka »

So it probably is that instant crash only happens with spesific hardware (my sound card is Asus Xonar STX) and spesific drivers. I do not remember having such problems with other problems, all other few crashes seem to be related to graphics.

WitW occasionally (maybe once per 5h gameplay) crashes even without any extra codec packs. With sound disabled (renamed sound directory) it seems to run without problems. So WitE/WitW game engine certainly has some sound related problems at least with some hardware. Quite possibly Harrybanana's problems are also related to sound.

For me this is not a biggie since it works just fine with sound disabled. I would rather play without sound and have new beta versions to try out than developers wasting time for bugs which are hard to reproduce :)

Denniss

Post by Denniss »

this kind of sound problem is almost always a problem/incompatibility of external codecs. With vanilla codecs as supported by the OS there's no problem.
Plus there's always the option an external codec does not harmonize with certain audio hardware or some specific audio driver versions.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
ckacres

Post by ckacres »

I just bought the game and sat down to try out the tut and "VOILA" the crash! and every time I started it up, the same thing. Ouch very frustrating over $100.00 later sigh.SO I started to research and found out there is a problem with codecs "maybe", so the advice was to disable the sound by renaming the sound folder. Started up the game and it works, no crash so we have a problem with the sound that is for sure. Now I am not like a previous poster stating the sound is not important but would disagree as all aspects of a game is important or the programmers would not waste their time on frivolous programming time. They must feel it was important for the experience.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

What version do you run?
Pavel Zagzin
ckacres

Post by ckacres »

I solved my crashing. I updated the codecs with latest MS media codecs. Tried to post the link but the forum has a rule about posting links after 10th post or something
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Good.

I was asking because we tried to address it in the 1.01.xx version and based on our tests now sound crashes are very infrequent (in fact I haven't got any reports recently). Also it should be "codec-independent" and should use standard MS codecs (quartz.dll).
Pavel Zagzin
ckacres

Post by ckacres »

what was interesting I noticed was when the music was ending and I believe was trying to play another music piece that is where the crashes happened. The scenario started fine with the music in the background but could not go to the next piece without some issue.
ckacres

Post by ckacres »

Oh no its back again. The crashing of the game. It played flawlessly after changing the codecs, stepped away for a while and returned to my scenario and the crash started again, crap!
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

What is the version of the game?

Can you post your dxdiag?
Pavel Zagzin
ckacres

Post by ckacres »

ok here is the dxdiag

Game version 1.01.12 beta