Webz vs 1 AI (completed)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

Tac2i

Webz vs 1 AI (completed)

Post by Tac2i »

In order to test Henri51's hypothesis that playing a single AI can be more difficult than playing three, I started this game (medium map). It might also prove instructive for newbies to ATG. Until you understand the mechanics of playing ATG the AI can be a daunting opponent that can clean your clock.

Victory February 1939: Final Map

May 1937 - Start 1st turn
May 1937 - End 1st turn
Jun 1937 - Start 2nd turn
Jun 1937 - End 2nd turn
Jul 1937 - Start 3rd turn
Jul 1937 - End 3rd turn
Aug 1937 - Start 4th turn
Aug 1937 - End 4th turn
Sep 1937 - Start 5th turn
Sep 1937 - End 5th turn
Oct 1937 - Start 6th turn
Oct 1937 - End 6th turn
Nov 1937 - Start 7th turn
Nov 1937 - End 7th turn
Dec 1937 - Start 8th turn
Dec 1937 - End 8th turn
Jan 1938 - Start 8th turn
Jan 1938 - End 8th turn
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
henri51

RE: Webz vs 1 AI

Post by henri51 »

Interesting map. Not much water should in principle favor the AI because of its "free units". Good luck.
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

I'm currently in the March 1938 turn. Last turn I captured my first AI city. I've also captured 2 or 3 raw hexes. The threat of the AI overrunning me has passed. It will take awhile to gain the points for victory but victory is assured at this point. For me, playing against 3 AI vice 1 is more interesting and fun. That said I may try another 1vs1.

Update: July 1938 - the AI isn't rolling over. It has still got some fight left. Bloodied my nose for a couple of turns.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

News Flash: Confederate States surrenders February 1, 1939 (I had 23 points, 22 needed for victory). See Final map top post.

At end of game raw production at 500 and oil at 10250. I had built one tank factory and one gun factory. Last turn of the game I had captured another gun factory. Captured several AI resource hexes (oil and raw). AI had its capital and one city left, both in imminent danger of capture. According to the Force level graph I surpassed the AI in force level about November 1937 (war started May 1937). This war lasted 21 turns.

For newbies to ATG I think the main takeaway from this game is that you MUST rapidly mobilize your armies. That means creating new units and HQs. Early research for me was MachineGun, Armored Car and AT Gun. Later in the game I researched mortar, SMG, Infantry Gun, Light Tank and near the end of this particular game Artillery and Heavy Artillery. If the AI is running over you, you'll have a tough time doing a lot of these things.

Resoures: First thing I do is upgrade raw. Later I upgrade some oil. PP production, supply, oil and raw all have to be managed.

TO&E and auto reinforcement (love this feature!): For this to work efficiently as possible you need to ensure your SHQ has enough railcap (trains). Your subHQs may need some trucks (landcap) especially as the units it is commanding get further away from it in distance. I try to keep my subHQs sitting on the rail line. It will likely be necessary to build additional rail line as the game proceeds.

HQs: "HQ Power (HQP) %: The closer an HQ is to the units it commands the bigger the combat bonus: (0-3 hex/100%, 4 hex/80%, 5 hex/60%, 6 hex/40%, 7 hex/20%). If an HQ is 8 or more hexes from the units it commands, they do not get any HQP bonuses in combat (attack or defense). " See this post: Unit Attributes.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Nice going.
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

I must have missed something. ATG has an 'auto reinforcement' feature now? Players don't have to manually fill the division with replacements? Do divisions have a template or a set TOE?

If so then I have to get this game. Owned the original AT but never got ATG because of the tedious nature of having to refit each division.
No problem Chief!
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

As of the recent 2.21g update, ATG now has a TO&E template designer with auto reinforcements. TO&E is not set. You determine what components your divisions contain and in what numbers.
ORIGINAL: Max 86

I must have missed something. ATG has an 'auto reinforcement' feature now? Players don't have to manually fill the division with replacements? Do divisions have a template or a set TOE?

If so then I have to get this game. Owned the original AT but never got ATG because of the tedious nature of having to refit each division.
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Max 86

Post by Max 86 »

Thanks, Webizen. I saw the other thread on it. That is great news. I will be getting this tonight. Is 2.21g a comprehensive update? No other updates needed?

You have been carrying the torch for this game for a long time so just in case you haven't heard it in awhile, thanks for all your hard work. [:)]
No problem Chief!
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

You're welcome. Update is comprehensive.
ORIGINAL: Max 86

Thanks, Webizen. I saw the other thread on it. That is great news. I will be getting this tonight. Is 2.21g a comprehensive update? No other updates needed?

You have been carrying the torch for this game for a long time so just in case you haven't heard it in awhile, thanks for all your hard work. [:)]
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
henri51

Post by henri51 »

But remember that the TOE feature only works with "New Dawn" random games. There are workarounds to make it work with other types of games, but you have to play around with some config files (I haven't tried the latter). You have to design your own TOE units, but you can save them for other games. And Webizen has made his own standard TOEs available for download.

Return to “After Action Reports”