Failed to extract project file to memory

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Tjalfe

Failed to extract project file to memory

Post by Tjalfe »

I get a runtime error message saying: "Failed to extract project file to memory." when starting from desktop shortcut.

I can click "ok" and then nothing more happens.

I can start the game from the MWIF.exe in my World in flames folder, but I would like access to the game menu as well.

Thanks

Michael
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Failed to extract project file to memory

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Tjalfe

I get a runtime error message saying: "Failed to extract project file to memory." when starting from desktop shortcut.

I can click "ok" and then nothing more happens.

I can start the game from the MWIF.exe in my World in flames folder, but I would like access to the game menu as well.

Thanks

Michael
I have no idea what that message is about.

Here are a few things you could try:

1 - Check what the shortcut is pointing to, by right clicking on the shortcut and selecting Properties. It should list a Target file. For example, on my machine the Target is: "C:\Matrix Games\World in Flames\autorun.exe". If it is pointing to a file that no longer exists, that would cause problems.

2 - If the shortcut is pointing to the autorun.exe file, try simply executing the autorun.exe, instead of the MWIF.exe.

3 - There might be a problem with permissions. Try right clicking on the shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator".

Let us know via a post in this thread how this work out (or not).

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I saw this too. The version upgrade process starting with the 1.4.5 download replaces the autorun.exe with a different background picture and some advertisements for other games. I kind of liked the old one better and so replaced autorun.exe with an older one. When I made that my desktop shortcut and tried it, I got the exact same error mentioned above. I only got the error when trying to use the old autorun with the new version 1.4.5. For me, the new autorun works OK, I just don't happen to like its splash screen.

So the problem must be something to do with the autorun file either being replaced or not getting updated. Here's the new splash screen menu on the left and the old one on the right.

Attachments
newold.jpg
newold.jpg (181.39 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Paul
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

I hate the new one as well. Running the Quick Start version of the game from the start menu bypasses it.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I noticed you guys had the same problem I have with germany at War with the patch today. I click on the file in the folder it works. However, clicking on the old desktop shortcut gives me that error. It has something to do with the autrun file in the folder.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

I hate the new one as well. Running the Quick Start version of the game from the start menu bypasses it.
This is what I always do, and did with the older version of the splash screen, too. Its faster and takes fewer mouse clicks. (Hey, I'm impatient and lazy. [:)]|)
I thought I knew how to play this game....

Return to “Tech Support”