Cannot Produce Units

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Keith Thompson

Cannot Produce Units

Post by Keith Thompson »

I seem to be completely unable to understand the production system . Bought ATG last week, read the manual, and no matter what I do, Any and all new units just stay with my main HQ, which quickly then becomes immovable? I have tried for days to :- assign different HQs, NO HQs re read the manual, NOTHING, the buggers just keep stacking up in one hex which I cannot split. Cannot find tutorials in the manual, so unable even to work through those, all I have been able to play are scenarios where units are pre-created.
Not new to wargaming, have no problems with any other games, so what am I missing. Only solution-kidnap pilot's wife, make demands!! (sorry 65 yr old Python fan, if you aint seen life of Brian ignore me LOL)
Vic

RE: Cannot Produce Units

Post by Vic »

Check out a great lets play by Das:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8a7Y8aGjqg

production starts around 19:00-19:30... but the rest might be interesting to get to know the game as well.

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Keith Thompson

Post by Keith Thompson »

Thank you Vic, checking those out now
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Good morning Keith,

I am sure the "Let's Play" will help, but I will give you some quick tips.

Once production arrives at the HQ you can select a hex for a new unit. Having selected the hex you create the unit with the "N" key or the green "Plus sign" button on the tools bar. Select the type of unit you want to produce, and the empty cadre will be located in the hex you selected.

Now you can "transfer" units from your HQ to the unit. First select the HQ with subformations you want your new unit to contain. Press the red transfer button, or press "T", and a dialog for transfer will appear. The TransferFrom unit, a HQ in this case, will be in the left panel. Now select the TransferTo unit, in this case your new empty cadre, and it will appear in the right hand panel. Select subformations in the left panel and move them to the right. Notice that if you use the slider you must press the dialog's transfer button to actually move the units. Once you have the unit properly constituted in the right panel you can dismiss the dialog with Esc, or the button in the lower left, the one that looks like a webpage refresh symbol. You will return to the map with a potent unit ready to fight your wars.

That all sounds more complicated than it is, so play with it a bit and it will become second nature.

Note that transfers between units can be done over a range of hexes, and this range can be quite long if either unit had rail or motor units to facilitate the movement. This is a reason HQs often have a train component. When you look at the transfer dialog you will see icons for the two units involved stacked one above another. This allows you to select which unit will provide the transport for the movement. This allows you to transfer into a HQ from a distance by using its transport. Also note that while the transfer dialog is open you can still select a new TransferTo unit by clicking on the unit on the map.

ATG is a great game, and you will soon be having fun.

Chuck
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I just looked at the transfer dialog and want to clear up a couple of points.

The icon stack I referred to only appears if both TransferTo and TransferFrom have transport available.

The icon to dismiss the dialog look more like a turnaround than a "refresh".

Chuck
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

Here is a quick web page I put together that explains the process:

http://rtworks.org/GameStuff/unit/unit.html

Using the new TO&E feature of v2.21g saves a lot of repetition (and mouse clicks!). In actual game play you will use both methods but primarily rely on the auto reinforcement. In the first few turns you will be creating a lot of new units and appling TO&E templates to those you already have.

My standard TO&E template is attached (std.atgtoe). Save to your SavedGames folder (remove the txt extension). Use the TOE Designer to import into your game.
Attachments
std.atgtoe.txt
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Tac2i (formerly webizen)
Keith Thompson

Post by Keith Thompson »

Thank you so much guys, I really appreciate your time, big help

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”