Moving stuff to the Continent.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Uxbridge

Moving stuff to the Continent.

Post by Uxbridge »

It was in a thread earlier, but I can't find it now -- how you move support units from the UK to France without having them attached to something else going there. I think I checked it at the time, found it working. But now I simply can't figure out how to do it. As it stands, the only possibility seems to be cramming a surplus HQ with SU's, sending it across and redistribute in France with the HQ returning for more.

Is there any other way?? [8|]
Harrybanana

RE: Moving stuff to the Continent.

Post by Harrybanana »

Yes, but it can be laborious. Find the HQ in England that has the support units that you want to transport to France (probably SHAEF) and right click on it. Then click on a Support unit in this HQ that you want to transfer to an HQ in France. Now click on the HHQ Button for this unit (which probably currently says SHAEF). This will call up a list of HQs to which you can transfer this support unit. Note that these will probably only include Army Group and Army HQs that are in France. You will have to wait until next turn to reassign these support units to the Corps HQs or the ground units you want them assigned too. Repeat for each support unit.
Robert Harris
whoofe

Post by whoofe »

haha this is something the first time I played I did not know that I should do, and after I had invaded I had 100+ support units sitting in SHAEF and couldn't get them moved over (and couldn't get SHAEF moved over either)

Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Oh, thank you Banana, I get it now. I couldn't move directly to a corps as it seems. But I just landed 2nd Br. Army in Normandy and it was eligible to recieve SU's. [:)]
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Off topic, but I think it unnecessary to starta a new thread:

1. The manual mention 2-hex-firing artillery. Is there any such in this game?

2. If one sewers the enemy rail line, will his depots send freight from depot to depot via trucks?

LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Yup..the Germans get a fairly large number of Artillery Brigades which can set up on the map. They work adjacent to the units.

You can also look at an allied AMphip HQ as an artillery unit, it also provides artillery support to the units adjacent to it.

I had a better question then 2.....what happens when you run out of trucks and you have no rail line. I imagine that it means all supply movement stops.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

2. Depot to Depot is ships or rail only.

2a. Theoretically yes - the system should adjust truck allocation and some units close to depots don't need trucks. Also the rule at 20.1.7.1 on emergency vehicle use comes into effect.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

That was nice, Red Lancer. Let's bomb some more.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”