Clearing challenges

Post bug reports and request support here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

swkuh

Clearing challenges

Post by swkuh »

2 issues:

1. have a PBEM game with "Garga" and opponent hasn't responded to my move, so I see that move awaiting response. Cannot resign because its "opponent's turn." "Garga" is not now listed as a member. Have I been spammed?

2. have really old PBEM challenges available, back to 2011 or so, that I don't think would lead to a game if accepted.

Can I clear this list somehow? Would be nice to see only more recent offers.

BTW, what's difference between "server" and PBEM games? Terms often seen this forum. Which is preferred?

STEF78

RE: Clearing challenges

Post by STEF78 »

I play only server games.

Too many cheating with PBEM (multiple reload)
GHC 9-0-3
SHC 10-0-4
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

RR,

Games on "challenges" page are server only, the Matrix server.

PBEM, play by email, games are when players exchange turns, via personal email accounts.

As Stef says, cheating possible with PBEM. The main reason for server only I guess.

With PBEM you make save files for your turns, which can be sent to interested parties, can't do that with server games.

"Reload" means that with PBEM you can make a save anyplace you like in a turn, then proceed ahead further into the turn, and, if something happens you don't like, then just "end" the turn and reload from where you had the turn saved.

Personally, I make too many, way too many, fumble finger mistakes too play server, so I like PBEM to correct my mistakes, not to "reroll" the combat results.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: rrbill

BTW, what's difference between "server" and PBEM games? Terms often seen this forum. Which is preferred?

really depends, server is you load the game and saves via the matrix server, PBEM is you find some means (I use dropbox) to swap saves between you.

I like the latter as it allows better tracking of shifts and dynamics as the game progresses, as well as comparison between games.

As to the potential to cheat ... yeah its there but why do it? Its a bit like the hosting system in the AGEOD games, one player potentially can abuse the system but the whole fun is to construct a set of orders that will outwit your opponent. I'm pretty clear, I play these games, esp PBEM for fun.

One important thing to learn in WiTE is why an attack fails. If you eliminate failing attacks you eliminate learning. As an eg, I am now very cautious with the Soviets at moving to contact and making a minimal attack ... because on this basis, its far better to assume the real defensive cv is so much higher than you see on the map. So bring in a couple more divisions, better to do one succesful attack, even if it takes up more resources than risk a failure?

Return to “Tech Support”