Game Recommendations for an Experienced Paradox Strategy gamer

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JonIrenicus

Game Recommendations for an Experienced Paradox Strategy gamer

Post by JonIrenicus »

Hello, I've logged in possibly a good thousand hours in Paradox published and developed games and I'm looking to branch out and see my other options. Slitherine games have struck me as very interesting and I would like to know which games are the most highly recommended or best to play for someone coming from the other side of the woods.

My current favorite Paradox games in order:
* Victoria 2
* Crusader Kings 2
* Europa Universalis 3
* Hearts of Iron 2
* King Arthur
rwenstrup

RE: Game Recommendations for an Experienced Paradox Strategy gamer

Post by rwenstrup »

I would recommend looking into the Ageod games...they are similar to the Paradox Games...but are more operational as opposed to strategic...
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
JonIrenicus

Post by JonIrenicus »

I actually already own two AGEOD titles from a Paradox Publisher Package I bought a few years ago which contained Rise of Prussia, Pride of Nations and For the Glory. I also recently bought the Slitherine Humble Bundle which contained Qvadriga, Battle Academy, Frontline: Road to Moscow, Rise of Prussia: Gold. Would you be able to recommend any of those?
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Most of the games here have a much stronger focus on combat than the Paradox games. Especially outside the AGEOD titles there isn't much economic/cultural/etc stuff to deal with.

Do you have a strong interest in any particular time periods or theaters?
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

...there isn't much economic/cultural/etc stuff to deal with.

On the other hand, some of the games here have, besides combat, a heavy focus in administration and infrastructure which is broadly similar to economic development. Same pain, same gain. [;)]
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

Of the Humble Bundle games I would recommend Rise of Prussia. It is an interesting challenge when playing Prussia...My favorite Ageod games are Wars in America and Alea Jacta Est...they move fast yet are challenging. Pride of Nations is the most complex and similar to the Paradox games...
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

If your funds will allow Ageod's Civil War 2 is well worth the investment, with a good balance between strategic/economic and operational but also has the corps system (with marching to the guns) which makes it a far more interesting contest than single forces fighting separately.

If you are into pbem then I would recommend you look at Commander Europe at War with the free Grand Strategy expansion which provides for a highly playable and realistic strategic recreation of WW2 European theatre (including North Africa and the Middle-east}. Unlike some other comparable games its main fighting focus are corps sized/equivalent and includes other types eg garrisons and elite/paras so enough units to give an operational feel. Plus its air and naval components work well with the mix. The game can be played with the AI but its massive development through the GS expansion is aimed primarily at the sizeable multiplayer community which is active on the Slitherine forum.
Xornox

Post by Xornox »

You may want to check also Strategic Command series offered by Battlefront.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

I agree the Ageod games might work for you.

If you don't mind Sci-Fi I would also consider Matrix's...

(Distant World: Universe)... or a somewhat dated (Armada 2526 with the Supernova expansion).

I recommend checking out some 'Let's Play' Videos on you tube. That usually helps me decide. Good Luck!
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: JonIrenicus

I actually already own two AGEOD titles from a Paradox Publisher Package I bought a few years ago which contained Rise of Prussia, Pride of Nations and For the Glory. I also recently bought the Slitherine Humble Bundle which contained Qvadriga, Battle Academy, Frontline: Road to Moscow, Rise of Prussia: Gold. Would you be able to recommend any of those?

I'll freely admit to being biased as I find the Seven Years War interesting and really like AGEOD games, but RoP Gold is a gem of gameplay. Once the armies are sorted out and formed (by the second summer of the war) it becomes an elegant cut and thrust between two factions with very different strengths and weaknesses. Either vs the AI, or better in PBEM, its very engrossing. To me its the ideal combination of time period and game scale for the AGEOD system to shine.

Now equally I think that Pride of Nations is the simulation of the second half of the nineteenth century, but its a game to approach with some caution, and preferably some idea how the AGE game system works
wings7

Post by wings7 »

The Campaign Series is one to check out!
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/318 ... ign.Series

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I assume you already have HoI3. If not, that; or Flashpoint Campaigns maybe. Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations is probably the EUIV of wargames [;)]
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

The closest here to a Paradox Grand Strategy titles other than the AGEOD titles would be Distant Worlds Universe though its a SciFi 4X it has a lot of the flavor you get with Paradox games and as you play the universe builds a sense of history and story ect.
If you have played and enjoyed any of the Civ games but always thought the war model was pretty woeful i would recommend without hesitation Advanced Tactics Gold but watch a few videos as the diplomacy and city building side falls short of what you get with Civ.
You said you had Battle Academy, if you enjoyed that but thought it a bit basic i would have a look at John Tiller Campaign Series also as its kind of Battle Academy for grown ups lol, though it is old and graphically poor its very good.
I would always recommend Dominions 3/4 to anyone who can appreciate a Paradox game as i feel it is the very definition of an epic game and deserves to be played, though you will need to pick it up of Steam or Gamersgate ect.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I recommend "HELL" and the "Battle Academy" game series and Panzer Command:Osfront as the best games Matrix and Slitherine have made. [&o]
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Try something completely different and jump into War in the Pacific (WiTP:AE). If you can handle the complexity of those Paradox games, you might find it to your liking.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

Return to “General Discussion”