Computer Question...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

Computer Question...

Post by Footslogger »

Hi Guys. I'm thinking on getting my brother an brand new system. He like FPS and space flight sims.
I'm asking here because I trust you guys. (Please tell me if I'm wrong?)

I was wondering if I should go with an AMD or Intel system?

In addition, he is always having problems with his cooling. Should I go with liquid cooling of fans?

wdolson

RE: Computer Question...

Post by wdolson »

I've been building my own desktops since 1987. Liquid cooling is really only needed by over-clockers who run their processors faster than spec. I get good cooling with an over sized CPU fan. The over sized fans are also pretty quiet. If the case is roomy enough, a large fan can be installed on the CPU. Some cases are too tight.

I've used AMD for many years, but I put together an Intel system for someone recently. Intel is the way to go if you want the absolutely most powerful processor out there. Their top of the line processors are only dual core, but they are a tick faster than AMD. If you aren't going for the cutting edge (which tend to be around $300 just for the processor), AMD is a good choice. They run a tad warmer than equivalent Intel processors (about 5-10%), but they are cheaper. AMD also makes processors with more cores than Intel. Both of my daily use computers are currently 6 core. I don't notice the extra processor cores all the time, but there are some things I do where the extra processor cores really boost performance dramatically. Some games may take advantage of this and some don't, so it's hard to say.

I did have some problems getting the OS installed on the Intel processor. But I was trying to install a server OS on a consumer grade mother board. Intel makes different parts with different drivers for server mother boards and consumer mother boards. The parts are functionally identical, but it allows them to charge more for the parts for server mother boards. AMD doesn't do those sorts of games. You aren't going to run into that, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth about Intel.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I've never seen a need to over-clock a processor so if that's causing his temp problems just allowing the proc to run at normal should do. My last desktop (more like desk-side) I purchased a large case and put in several fans. With the extra room no heat problem and there was very little noise. Personally I prefer Intel and that's all I built, but of course YMMV.

That said in addition to what Bill said above keep in mind some games are memory hogs so I'd say 8GB, which is what I'm currently running may be in order. Currently I like the convenience of laptops and no longer bother with desktops. Thing is to get the same bang for your buck they're expensive. Can you say Alienware. Since I'm an 'empty nester' I have no constraints, which BTW is not necessarily a good thing.[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

I’ve had two computers that were custom built by Falcon Northwest.
I highly recommend them. Be advised that they are not cheap but worth every penny.
Their service is outstanding. They only use top quality parts.
I’ll never buy another computer except from them.

https://www.falcon-nw.com/why-falcon
I would go with Intel and have Falcon build it.

The Mach V that I’ve had since 2008 is a speed demon without over clocking.
For a seven year old system it still runs the most intense graphics as smooth as a Prom Queen’s thighs.

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Hi Guys. I'm thinking on getting my brother an brand new system. He like FPS and space flight sims.
I'm asking here because I trust you guys. (Please tell me if I'm wrong?)

I was wondering if I should go with an AMD or Intel system?

In addition, he is always having problems with his cooling. Should I go with liquid cooling of fans?

Don't trust us. We lie a lot. We're also not very bright.

I'm just speaking for myself, of course.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

For a new machine these days, I would say just go with 16GB. Don't even mess around with less, given that you said first person shooter type gaming. The other thing to emphasize is the graphics card for that sort of gaming.

This web site gives various recommendations for building PCs. You did not say build, but you might get an idea about the sort of components they recommend for different performance and price levels. http://www.pcper.com/
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

More than 4GB is only useful if you are using a 64 bit version of Windows. 32 bit Windows maxes out at 4 GB, any more RAM is just ignored. 32 bit apps can't use more than about 2 GB. A few can make it to 3 GB.

Bill
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

More than 4GB is only useful if you are using a 64 bit version of Windows. 32 bit Windows maxes out at 4 GB, any more RAM is just ignored. 32 bit apps can't use more than about 2 GB. A few can make it to 3 GB.

Bill
But if he is getting something new I am assuming 64-bit with 64-bit Windows. More and more software comes with 32-bit and 64-bit. By putting that in now he won't be concerned about it for some time. I've heard that some people who really want top speed for gaming just go with 32 GB memory, but I'm not sure how much difference that makes! [:D]
koniu

Post by koniu »

Today i will go with Intel.

If You want something high end and money are not issue You Chose should go for i7 (4core/8threats) processor. For still powerful middle/high PC You can have i5 (4core/4threats). For low/medium reange You can have i3 CPU (2core/4threats)

You should look for two architectures. Older but no old Haswell with much wider choose of CPUs or recently introduced to marker Skylake. Last one have only two CPU available right now but soon new will be introduced.
Haswell support DDR3 memory while Skylake supporting DDR3L and DDR4

AMD CPUs are competitions for low and middle range Intel CPU (i3 and medium range i5). And If You decide to buy middle range PC there You can chose between AMD and Intel. But You must remember even If You get similar performance AMD will work hotter and will use more power (AMD CPU are produced in old 32nm process while Intel is 22/14nm)

If You decide to go for AMD remeber to chose Piledriver architecture processors:
FX-43xx(2modules/4cores), FX-63xx(3modules/6cores),FX-83xx((4modules/8cores) or for enthusiast FX-93xx(4modules/8cores)
AMD support DDR3 memory

As for RAM i will go 16GB

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill
ORIGINAL: witpqs
But if he is getting something new I am assuming 64-bit with 64-bit Windows. More and more software comes with 32-bit and 64-bit. By putting that in now he won't be concerned about it for some time. I've heard that some people who really want top speed for gaming just go with 32 GB memory, but I'm not sure how much difference that makes! [:D]

32GB might make a difference someday, but it generally doesn't today unless you're running a lot of programs at once. I upgraded my work machine from 16GB to 32GB and I didn't see a huge difference.

Bill
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I agreed with wdolson, I been building pcs back in the 80s as well. They aren't that hard, but besure to do some research on them if you planning on building from scratch. Most important things to do is ground yourself, otherwise you may burn one of your hardware. I usually get my parts from Newegg.com
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I used to buy from Newegg too, though the last couple of years I've switched to Amazon. We have Amazon Prime and the free shipping along with a little lower prices does end up saving $50-$100 on a computer project. If I need something fast, I usually run down to Enu which is a Portland area computer parts store. They are a little more expensive than online, but I can get stuff the same day. They have a website that tells you what's in stock too, so I only need to spend a few minutes in there.

Bill
koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun
Most important things to do is ground yourself, otherwise you may burn one of your hardware. I usually get my parts from Newegg.com

What is most important piece of hardware when building new PC?
From what anyone should start. CPU, GPU, motherboard. NO!!!

Most important is power supply How many times i saw no name power supply in high end PC. How many times i hear scream when faulty power supply burn everything.
Remember don`t be cheap on power supply that saved 50$ can cost You 1000$ in burned parts.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Most important is power supply How many times i saw no name power supply in high end PC. How many times i hear scream when faulty power supply burn everything.
Remember don`t be cheap on power supply that saved 50$ can cost You 1000$ in burned parts.

Agreed. Kinda like buying a great stereo with cheap speakers.[:)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

Well this is the power supply I've always had.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817371009

Denniss

Post by Denniss »

850W PSU but just 80+ Bronze? Either a bad joke or a very old design. A today's PSU of this class is supposed to have 80+ Gold/Platinum.
Another problem with PSUs is to buy a way oversized one - a system requiring 400W max doesn't need an 800W PSU Some headroom is OK but not that much as PSU are most effective at ~70%-80% load.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
koniu

Post by koniu »

Still it is good PSU. Antec is good company. And even if running at 50% capacity it will work better from any no name PSU. It is good enough to run strong CPU and 2xGPU system like (2xGeforce 980)
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

This is just my educated guess, I haven't seen anything one way or the other, but heat is what kills most things. A PSU that is running at low load on a regular basis will stay cooler and probably last longer.

Bill
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

True, most customers going for cheap PSU, if you have low grade video card as well other hardware, probably wont matter. But if you are building a 3D game engine for gaming, you will need a very good PSU.

I have seen many customers getting good deals from Walmart, etcs, beware some of those cheap pc will have poor PSU and not worth it unless you are doing basic homework.
ORIGINAL: koniu
ORIGINAL: RisingSun
Most important things to do is ground yourself, otherwise you may burn one of your hardware. I usually get my parts from Newegg.com

What is most important piece of hardware when building new PC?
From what anyone should start. CPU, GPU, motherboard. NO!!!

Denniss

Post by Denniss »

These super-cheap PSU are always dangerous, even if not stressed a lot. The poor quality components age really fast and in many cases they lack over-voltage/-current/-temperature and fan failure protection systems.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”