IOS

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics.
Hanal

IOS

Post by Hanal »

I am just wondering if the campaign content will show up as an IOS DLC?
VPaulus

RE: IOS

Post by VPaulus »

I'm afraid not.
You can check this post:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 12#p565474
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

Pike & Shot and Pike & Shot: Campaigns are based on a 32 bit engine. Apple recently brought in rules that require all games to have a 64 bit engine. No further submissions of any kind (including updates) are being accepted for 32-bit games. This sadly means that the Pike & Shot engine cannot be updated on iOS.

Obviously this is very frustrating but we didn’t want it to prevent us from supporting the PC version. The problem we have is that we can’t release any PC updates for the original Pike & Shot game as this would break the cross platform multiplayer between PC and iPad. This means that the only way to continue to support it was to create a new base game – hence Pike & Shot: Campaigns.

Because no submissions are now being accepted for 32-bit games on iOS, we cannot release Pike & Shot: Campaigns on iPad.

This does not mean, however, that new content cannot be released for Pike & Shot on iPad, but any such new content will have to be released as in-game downloads in the same way as user content downloads. This does, however, mean that such content cannot use the new features added to the newer version of the engine used in Pike & Shot: Campaigns. This unfortunately means that the Campaigns feature cannot be added to the iPad game.

PC users can continue to keep Pike & Shot on their computers alongside Pike & Shot: Campaigns, allowing them to continue to play cross-platform MP games vs iPad users using Pike & Shot. The two games have separate MP servers.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Well it is not a game breaker for me because I own the pc version as well so will simply buy the campaign at a discount and keep the base game on my iPad...
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

I wish to bring up a potential scenario relating the inability to support either Pike and Shot, and Battle Academy on IOS..Last week there was the typical IOS upgrade that I installed and of course there usually follows a rush of patches from developers to have their apps meet the new IOS build. My concern is that one day, there might be a new IOS build which might make Battle Academy and Pike and Shot unplayable. If such an event occur, will there still be an effort to release an update so that we can at least continue to play the games? I recall when VPG stopped supporting their State of Siege IOS and Android games and it was not long after that they were rendered useless by newer builds...
rbodleyscott

Post by rbodleyscott »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

I wish to bring up a potential scenario relating the inability to support either Pike and Shot, and Battle Academy on IOS..Last week there was the typical IOS upgrade that I installed and of course there usually follows a rush of patches from developers to have their apps meet the new IOS build. My concern is that one day, there might be a new IOS build which might make Battle Academy and Pike and Shot unplayable. If such an event occur, will there still be an effort to release an update so that we can at least continue to play the games? I recall when VPG stopped supporting their State of Siege IOS and Android games and it was not long after that they were rendered useless by newer builds...

It is hard to say. From what I have read on the net, iOS is not likely to abandon 32 bit completely for a few years yet. Of course, generally speaking, there is nothing to force anyone with an existing machine to "upgrade" to new version of iOS. As far as I know, older versions of the iPad (prior to October 2013) did not have a 64-bit chip, so would not be able to run a purely 64-bit iOS anyway.

Return to “Pike & Shot Series”