Expansion Question for Devs

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

goulash

Expansion Question for Devs

Post by goulash »

I notice the difficulty level appears to have risen (on the game information screen) with operation Torch in comparison with base game difficulty level.

Is there any chance on knowing why this is going to be the case?

Are we getting more detailed game mechanics = Something closer to WITP AE?
Is it the scenarios that are raising the bar e.g. the ahistorical Campaign?
Is it a error on the game page difficulty levels?

Thanks in advance,

P.S. I have to say that the scenarios alone are not selling the game to me and I think it would be a good idea for potential buyers to get an idea of what other stuff is coming with this?
I can quite happily sit and wait before buying the expansion unless of course there is lots of other stuff other than the scenarios :) I am just a sucker that way.

RedLancer

RE: Expansion Question for Devs

Post by RedLancer »

There is no significant change to the game mechanics so not sure why Torch is shown as expert. We are continually improving the system.

This includes:
- A new Air Navigation Panel to better arrange your air groups.
- Night Intruder missions.
- Toggleable Air Directives - ON/OFF and specific air phase for Naval Patrol and Superiority.
- Additional chrome - air insignia and pilot names.
- New Strategic Air Recon display.
- Improvements to Air Base FOW behaviour and display.

I'm not sure what WitP:AE detail you are asking about. If you mean additional naval detail then no. Please do ask if you want more info.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

Joel probably raised the difficulty level because players are going to have to be proficient in the logistics and air directives if they want to be successful in the Tunisian scenarios. The Germans can pack quite a punch.

Trey
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer
goulash

Post by goulash »

Thanks both,

I am fine with that info now.

In relation to WitP AE I am just seeing if additional detail similar to that game had come in hence the climb in difficulty but I am guessing also this is merely to do with the scenarios.

Lots of nice things for the air side of the game though [&o]

Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

I didn't change the difficulty level. I'm not sure why Matrix increased it. I just looked and Don to the Danube is set to Expert while Lost Battles is set to Advanced, and I'm not sure why they would be different. Trey is right that the Torch scenarios really ask you to learn the logistics and air portions of the game if you're going to excel. Hard to say though what the difference is between Advanced and Expert. One could argue that all the War in the West products are a little more involved than all the War in the East products due to the added detail in the air portion of the game.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

The new improvements you list, are they part of the game now or introduced in the Torch expansion?

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

There is no significant change to the game mechanics so not sure why Torch is shown as expert. We are continually improving the system.

This includes:
- A new Air Navigation Panel to better arrange your air groups.
- Night Intruder missions.
- Toggleable Air Directives - ON/OFF and specific air phase for Naval Patrol and Superiority.
- Additional chrome - air insignia and pilot names.
- New Strategic Air Recon display.
- Improvements to Air Base FOW behaviour and display.

I'm not sure what WitP:AE detail you are asking about. If you mean additional naval detail then no. Please do ask if you want more info.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”