recovering from a brain stroke

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

TulliusDetritus

recovering from a brain stroke

Post by TulliusDetritus »

The 7th july i suffered a brain stroke. I could have died that day but looks like I have been relatively lucky after all...

I survived but the ischemic stroke literally fried the part of the brain that tells me how to walk. In other words, the locomotor system has been annihilated. I have to relearn how to walk again, to use my fingers,arm.
The good thing is that i am already recovering really fast, according to all the doctors (I am relatively young: 47 and the stroke was not very severe, i already started rehab), so a total recovery (left leg and arm) is expected. But its a slow process. Very slow. I' m literally relearning to walk!

Its been of course a terrifying experience. I had horrible nightmares when i was in the intensive care unit (10 days IIRC).
I even jumped out of the bed (dont ask ne how i did that because i ignore how I managed to do that!) TWICE, in two different nights... I didnt break my neck and remember very well how I was trying to convince the nurses that everything was ok,that they did not need to tie me... They didnt LOL (I really feared that)!
As i said its really been terryfying but I do know there will be a total recovery. I just need hard work. When i look back (a mere one month) i see a lot of progress, i will walk again, and pretty soon. And ride my trail BETA bike too!

Edit: sorry about the many typos. Typing from my hospital bed; with the celll phone.

Cheers and everyone stay healthy!i[:)]

"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
Zap

RE: recovering from a brain stroke

Post by Zap »

Oh my, sorry to hear that but your still with us that's good. Hope you can gain some motor skills back with time and therapy.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Prayers to you for your full recovery and new life! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Get well soon. You're too young to have that happen!!!
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
budd

Post by budd »

I wish you a full and speedy recovery, take care.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Hang in there and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Rick
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

That must have been very scary. It sounds like you're doing well though. Good luck in your recovery. I wish you the best.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

My nightmare!

Glad that you are in recovery mode... we're all with you in spirit. Very happy to know that your thinking and game playing faculties are unaffected.

I assume they'll be putting you on some kind of blood thinner to help forestall a recurrence. I take my Lisinopril very seriously.

Very happy that you are still with us!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

Warm thoughts, prayers, and well wishes for your continued recovery !
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Had a similar experience, doing much better, finally. Stick with it!!
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Goodness! Glad to hear that you've A. survived and B. will recover your motor skills. 47 (my age too) is way too young to be thinking about that stuff!
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Wish you a speedy recovery.
simcityrefund

Post by simcityrefund »

well as a student nurse we do tie you guys down for your own safety. as you said you jumped out of bed which would have scared the shit out of the nurse that was watching you. Relax and dont rush your recovery process rushing it just make it worse
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your recovery!
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Best luck on your recovery
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

The 7th july i suffered a brain stroke. I could have died that day but looks like I have been relatively lucky after all...

I survived but the ischemic stroke literally fried the part of the brain that tells me how to walk. In other words, the locomotor system has been annihilated. I have to relearn how to walk again, to use my fingers,arm.
The good thing is that i am already recovering really fast, according to all the doctors (I am relatively young: 47 and the stroke was not very severe, i already started rehab), so a total recovery (left leg and arm) is expected. But its a slow process. Very slow. I' m literally relearning to walk!

Its been of course a terrifying experience. I had horrible nightmares when i was in the intensive care unit (10 days IIRC).
I even jumped out of the bed (dont ask ne how i did that because i ignore how I managed to do that!) TWICE, in two different nights... I didnt break my neck and remember very well how I was trying to convince the nurses that everything was ok,that they did not need to tie me... They didnt LOL (I really feared that)!
As i said its really been terryfying but I do know there will be a total recovery. I just need hard work. When i look back (a mere one month) i see a lot of progress, i will walk again, and pretty soon. And ride my trail BETA bike too!

Edit: sorry about the many typos. Typing from my hospital bed; with the celll phone.

Cheers and everyone stay healthy!i[:)]

Dude, don't let it stop you. Be tough and get back to your life. Get back to wargaming ! Take your BP meds this time !

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

Good luck, prayers on the way.
Flipper
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

My nightmare!

Glad that you are in recovery mode... we're all with you in spirit. Very happy to know that your thinking and game playing faculties are unaffected.

I assume they'll be putting you on some kind of blood thinner to help forestall a recurrence. I take my Lisinopril very seriously.

Very happy that you are still with us!

Lisinopril, me to. Though its not a blood thinner. It open the veins does Help with control my blood pressure.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Many thanks for the kind words. Really appreciated.
I'm very optimistic, not only because they clearly told me I would totally recover.
I started moving the fingers of my left hand just like 3 weeks after the stroke, which is definitely very fast or early. A massive good sign.
The physiotherapist in charge of me (a competent young woman) says she likes to work with me because I always cooperate, never say "no"(au contraire, its always a "yes" with a big smile)and that I a am sponge: my brain quickly adapts and relearns apparently. And of course because she sees the same progress.

What's surprised me is to see many people around me saying "no", refusing to work hard. Mostly old people (tired to fight?) but i guess some young ones with no hope, apparently. They gave up. Sad, but im no one to judge. Here Im only the one who will work hard to get out of here, thats my only goal now! The rest can and WILL wait!

Yes, im having a blood thinner and when i will get out of here i will pay much more attention to my health (this is my FIRST time in hospital, I never visited doctors LOL AND looks like im not inmortal, who would have thought itl!)

Cheers :)
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934

Return to “General Discussion”