This is what I've been talking about all along...

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

GaryChildress

This is what I've been talking about all along...

Post by GaryChildress »

I switched over to Windows 10 a few days back and it appears that I am now unable to access any of my steam games. What a lovely state of affairs. I can play my Matrix Games fine. This is exactly why I have been apprehensive about Steam. Something goes wrong and I can't play anything. [:@]

Here's the error message I'm getting.

Attachments
SteamBS.jpg
SteamBS.jpg (13.35 KiB) Viewed 192 times
GaryChildress

RE: This is what I've been talking about all along...

Post by GaryChildress »

I have no idea how to get a live person to help me with tech support. I sent them an email through their support option. Apparently they will email me back.

I included in my email that I wouldn't buy anymore Steam games. Of course I don't have much choice. Many games are unavailable unless I get them through the monopoly that is Steam. This is ridiculous. [8|]
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

I included in my email that I wouldn't buy anymore Steam games

that'll really encourage them to help. not.

the message indicates the servers are busy. You probably wouldn't receive that particular message if you couldn't establish a connection to their service.
have you tried setting a particular download locale in the downloads settings?

How about googling 'steam error 41' ?

Here, I'll help: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=steam+error+code+41

:-)
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
KISSMEUFOOL!

Post by KISSMEUFOOL! »

I tried to warn everybody.....
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Just spent two hours playing TF 2. So I doubt Steam is the problem.

Like the message said, servers were too busy.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
balto

Post by balto »

Steam is great.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

What about offline?

I never play my Steam games online.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
wodin

Post by wodin »

I had to reinstall Steam but then no issues. I'm finding Win 10 new features from Win 7 pretty good and I'm actually more impressed than I thought I'd be with it. I soon ditched Win 7 back up folder. Also Microsft Edge is one damn fast browser..really impressed with that over Internet Explorer.
TJD

Post by TJD »

The only problem I've had with Steam on Windows 10 has been the need to verify the cache on several games to ensure they are up to speed with the new OS. Panzer Corps (with all its DLC) required 154 files to be reacquired. That was an extreme case; most require one or two, or none at all.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

A little Steam tip, basically the equivalent of "turn it off and turn it back on" is to go into your main Steam folder and delete the file "ClientRegistry.blob" Then restart Steam. It will download that file again and usually fix a lot of problems when you get stuck like that.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

Win 10 has been great for me so far. My Steam games go through the initial setup when I launch them for the first time, but that's because I did a clean install of Win 10 on my system drive and my Steam games are on a separate drive.

I'm mostly a Mac guy myself, and Windows 10 is the first flavor of Windows that's starting to make we wonder why.
radic202

Post by radic202 »

What? I went from Win7 directly to Win10 and have no problems whatsoever with Steam Games or anything else for that matter. I even installed on my 7 other computers and laptops (from Win8.1 though) and not a glitch to speak off.

I sympathize with you as I go ballistic when my computer goes "Kuu-kuu" when it shouldn't!
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

A little Steam tip, basically the equivalent of "turn it off and turn it back on" is to go into your main Steam folder and delete the file "ClientRegistry.blob" Then restart Steam. It will download that file again and usually fix a lot of problems when you get stuck like that.

This this this this this. 'Delete "ClientRegistry.blob"' is the solution 99% of the time something with Steam goes wrong.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I just de-installed the game and reinstalled it and it worked fine.

One of the things that I like about Win 10 is I thought my computer was on its last leg. I kept having to do hard drive tests on boot up. It would go through all the files. I have not had to do that since Win 10 was installed.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

I posted on the other thread already, but once again..

Classic Shell has been updated for Windows 10 and is available at

http://www.fosshub.com/Classic-Shell.ht ... _4_2_4.exe

I'm very unhappy with the Windows 10 "all apps" list which doesn't display about half of my games.

It does display endless lists of PDF files, manuals, advertisements, catalogs and so forth. All that extra trash you find in the game folder. Odd that it doesn't find the startup exe.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

I'm very unhappy with the Windows 10 "all apps" list which doesn't display about half of my games.

It does display endless lists of PDF files, manuals, advertisements, catalogs and so forth. All that extra trash you find in the game folder. Odd that it doesn't find the startup exe.

Rhonda, I've read your posts on this thread, and I have to wonder now whether you should think about doing a clean install. Things seem pretty wonky on your setup and maybe it has to do with your unusual internet connectivity problems. Windows 10 really shouldn't be this troublesome for you.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: TJD

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Rhonda, I've read your posts on this thread, and I have to wonder now whether you should think about doing a clean install. Things seem pretty wonky on your setup and maybe it has to do with your unusual internet connectivity problems. Windows 10 really shouldn't be this troublesome for you.

With a clean install, it would take me about two years to redownload all my Steam games alone. When I installed Windows 7 (clean install) it took me over six months to get all my software reinstalled. I'm really stupid about keeping a vast array of games installed that I don't play and Production software (video, audio, graphics etc) that I've never learned to use and so forth.

I know, it makes no sense to have the Adobe Production Premium package installed (I got it free while attending Indiana University for my teaching credentials) and that includes the entire Adobe lineup (cost $1400 retail) and all I use is Photoshop to be honest. Have occasionally played around with their video and audio products, but ended up preferring Sony's line (which I also have installed). I do use Sony Sound Forge a lot though.

And then there are several Desktop Audio Workstation programs for recording (Cubase 4 & 6)

and at least six flight simulators (which I do use)

and at least 150 games...

I'll manage with Windows 10... none of the problems have proven fatal. The Start menu issue, for example, is minor because I prefer to start my game software from a "Games" folder on my desktop with all the startups, supporting documentation, patches, and so forth all neatly organized.

I really could just go back to my old Win 3.1 setup with neatly arranged desktop folders with every application's shortcut set up for easy access. I have so much that setting up with active panes or whatever they call those tiles isn't worth the trouble.

I still wonder about the browser issues though. I've never had my browsers quit working when I upgraded to a new O/S and this time they all did. It is still taking me several tries to start Chrome but then it works fine. I'm sure there will be more updates that will fix the problems. In the meantime, Edge always comes up instantly if I just want to do something simple like checking my gmail or popping into Facebook.

I still have another computer to upgrade (this is my recording computer and it runs Win 7 Premium so it gets a different version of Win 10 than my gaming computer). Might do a clean install on it, but it will be awhile before I try it. It has a Delta audio card in it that getting drivers for has been difficult in the past and I suspect it will problematic getting that to work and that's my prime interface to all my sound equipment and instruments. I might just stick with Win 7 on it and never upgrade. I don't even connect it to the Internet so it exists to record my amateur musical efforts to try and create some decent songs with me playing all the instruments (guitar, bass, keyboards, drums, and vocals) and then somehow put it into a video showing me doing it all. Still in the planning and dreaming stage but I have the software and equipment to do it.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
TJD

Post by TJD »

rhondabrwn
I have the Adobe Production Premium package installed ...

and at least six flight simulators (which I do use)

and at least 150 games...

Wow, Rhonda, I had no idea. My suggestion was naïve. Six flight simulators? I didn't know there were that many :)

Gotta be tough being a high-need user like you in such a poorly served area....
E

Post by E »

Six flight simulators? I didn't know there were that many :)
That's a joke? Right? (I have sixTEEN versions/variations of just the Wings Over series. That's before the Falcon variations, Flight Sim, etc, etc. Heck, I'd still have EAW (European Air War) on my HD if I could get it to run under this new fangled fancy windoze xp operating system)
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: E
Six flight simulators? I didn't know there were that many :)
That's a joke? Right? (I have sixTEEN versions/variations of just the Wings Over series. That's before the Falcon variations, Flight Sim, etc, etc. Heck, I'd still have EAW (European Air War) on my HD if I could get it to run under this new fangled fancy windoze xp operating system)

Honestly, I had no idea. I lost track of flight sims back in the Il-2 Sturmovik days. Anyway, it always amazes me to discover how many games some folks have. On Steam there are guys who own literally thousands. Who has time? Where does hobbying end and digital hoarding begin? :)

Return to “General Discussion”