Windows 10 - anybody playing on this yet?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Toby42

RE: Windows 10 - anybody playing on this yet?

Post by Toby42 »

I'm using Win 10 with no problems? As a matter of fact, several old SSG games that I couldn't get to run correctly on Win 7 are running OK on Win 10? Go figure!
Tony
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: Treale

I'm using Win 10 with no problems? As a matter of fact, several old SSG games that I couldn't get to run correctly on Win 7 are running OK on Win 10? Go figure!

Yes, even if they identical computers and running the same operating system there is no guarantee that they are configured in the same way. It is one of the drawbacks that PC users have.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

SMK: It's weird that the exe ask you for the serial number, maybe something's wrong with the windows registry?. Have you tried renaming the 3XBb to "Opart 3.exe" and see if works?
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

Based upon the experiences described here, and the success the IT people at work have had updating to Windows 10, I thought I would give it a go.

Oh dear, what a disaster. My computer says it is running Windows 10, but the start menu does not appear, the "search the web and Windows" function does not work and Edge shows a quick screen and then disappears. I cannot even get the calculator to come up.

Fortunately, all my programs seem to be working, and using Chrome or Internet Explorer 11 gets me to the internet. The TOAW circle of stars disappeared after the "upgrade", but changing the resolution solved that problem.

I have tried a number of recommended fixes from the web and tried a reinstall but no go. I have also spent an hour on the phone with Microsoft support, but they could not correct the problem. So now I am scheduled for a 7:30 pm phone conference with Microsoft's higher level support. I don't know what I screwed up, but I did it good javascript:void(AddText('[:)]'))

Just be aware that despite most people's good experience with the upgrade it is possible for it to all go south.

TomC
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

SMK: It's weird that the exe ask you for the serial number, maybe something's wrong with the windows registry?. Have you tried renaming the 3XBb to "Opart 3.exe" and see if works?

It didn't ask me for het serial number - it had a serial number error so not quite the same thing.

No I didn't' rename the exe - it had been working fine with the 3XBb name until I changed so never thought of it.

And now I am "fully migrated" to 3.4.1.9 I might muck around with it a bit more but not going to spend a lot of time on it.
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I just upgraded my younger one's and my W8.1s to W10. That went according to std process of reserving the OS with Get Windows 10 App. Having completed those two, I then downloaded a W10 for my older one's W7.1 gaming rig. That went well as well.

(Edit: for some reason I could not get the GW10 app appearing on his very legitimate OS, despite of all updates being in place. Glad MS provides a direct installer too, although they don't seem to advertise it too much).

I have had a quick look, all applications and their settings seem to be a-OK on all three computers. After just a quick clicks here and there, all the games including TOAW III with the latest patch seem to work. Need to play a few turns to ensure this, before commenting further.

A case of so-far-so-good regardless.

Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
Calvinist

Post by Calvinist »

My husband installed TOAW3 on Windows 7, before I upgraded to W10 or got the patch, and it seems to be working fine. I haven't had any major issues with games on Windows 10. We don't have many games on the desktop, a couple from the HPS Ancient Warfare series, Tin Soldiers (Alexander + Caesar), Advanced Tactics Gold, Hegemony Gold, and Legend of Dungeon. All run well.
fogger

Post by fogger »

A female who plays wargames?[X(]
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Ditto Windows 10 on my desktop. Except for a few fancy additions it seems like I'm running Windows 7 right down to the crappy browser. Java programs have some problems getting started with it but nothing major. My laptop is a touch screen that had Windows 8.1 so Windows 10 is a definite improvement over that.

My wife's laptop is not a touch screen. She has had some wireless problems. It's a Lenovo (a Nolove in her opinion) and the network adapter does not yet have a Win10 driver. I'm sure it's a driver problem and not Windows.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: fogger
It's not impossible. But I suspect he's not female, and that's mighty fine. I say welcome to the forum and
don't feel shy, go ahead and ask your questions and I'll do my best to answer them and direct you to the
person who can answer any question if I can't ( Bob Cross. Worth his weight in gold ). And google
Rugged Defense for those hard to find excellent scenario's and tools for TOAW. And mods to make
your game look new and articles to read for analysis of strategy and tactics. Welcome.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

ORIGINAL: fogger

Oh yea of limited experience - I've seen "girls" massacre male opponents actress table-top games with cunning tactics....mostly involving low cut tops!! Stereotypes abound! [:D]
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
parusski

Post by parusski »

The new version worked just fine with WiN10 on the first install.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Sertorius1

Post by Sertorius1 »

Greetings, Jeff.

I recently acquired a computer with Windows 7 on it. Previously, I played TOAW on the XP OS. Seeing how you have played this game on Windows 7 I'm curious to know if what you see on your screen is the same as what I'm seeing on mine. It looks to me to be smaller than it is one XP. I've tried working with the display, etc., keep getting this image. If there is a way to make the view bigger I would appreciate knowing what settings you are using. Thanks, Ryan.

Edit: the properties for the .exe is set for SP3 with no additional boxes checked. The scenario is Florina41 and the view for the units 2d large. I did a spot check on a couple of other scenarios and they look the same as this one.
Attachments
Windows7.jpg
Windows7.jpg (157.59 KiB) Viewed 483 times
Jeff Norton

Post by Jeff Norton »

First thoughts are within the OPART3 INI file - Its been a while, but I'd start there, tweaking it to suit your needs. There were many posts, a while back, with the settings shown, far better than I could provide.

Second, the most modern driver for your vid card is a must. Plus, check how it displays, but that's not usual an issue.

Lastly, I'd right-click on your TOAW icon, and check its settings - mine is attached - no Reduced Color mode, no 640x480, and no display scaling

When all else fails - you could run the Classic TOAW GRaphics.exe from the main folder.

Start there, and let us know if it does\does not work. Good Luck!

Attachments
OPART3_props.jpg
OPART3_props.jpg (47.37 KiB) Viewed 477 times
-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite
Sertorius1

Post by Sertorius1 »

Thanks, Jeff. I'll give these a shot.

I found a few posts from the past myself but seeing how this is TOAW IV the information is somewhat dated. I'll go a head and post these links as they might be useful to someone.

http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread. ... creen-size

Deleted wrong URL.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Some other stuff can be found here [from when I first got W7] :
tm.asp?m=3792730

What I end up doing each time I play TOAW, Right Click Task Bar, choose Properties, uncheck Auto-Hide. Then like Jeff said, find the Opart.ini file and change the resolution to 1024 x 768. The only downside is that once TOAW is opened, trying to open anything else causes the monitor to resize back to whatever it was, which causes a scary black screen for a couple seconds.

The resolution in the ini doesn't need to be changed each time, I do it because I use the higher resolution for editing.
Sertorius1

Post by Sertorius1 »

Hello, Jeff and Steve,

It sounds like you had fun, Steve. Now, I'm having fun.

I read through those links and tried all the ideas proposed from changing the resolution in the ini file to moving the task bar to the side. Unfortunately, I still have the same problem including twice as many stars as I need. It looks like the display is caught in limbo between large and huge. I do note this that these solutions were found prior to TOAW IV, so it's possible the new version might have changes in it that make these unusable.

This I'm computer using is a Dell OptiPlex 7010 01 that was given to me. It hasn't been used since March, its previous service being used by building maintenance to keep records and blue prints on.

I spent a couple hours messing with this computer including running it through the testing programs the Dell offers and running it through the Belarc Advisor. Other than cleaning up some old junk files found, updating the BIOS and some minor repairs to the HD all of these tests came back negative. The graphics card and the adapter are these:

AMD Radeon HD 7470 [Display adapter]
Intel(R) HD Graphics [Display adapter]
AG Neovo C-19 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 00184, December 2012)

It also has a 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-3550 as the processor and four gigs of RAM, so I should be good to go there as well.

In short, it isn't that old and it looks to me that the graphics are the latest. Of course I could be mistaken here.

The OS is the Professional/32 bit version.

Here's a couple more notes. I've read in those threads about browsers. I wasn't aware the browser had anything to do with these games, believing their sole function wast to access the Internet. I have two on this one, the crash prone IE 11 and Opera. In the past I used Fox Fire but decided to try a different browser because like IE 11 I believe you can keep messing with something and eventually screw it up royally. Fox Fire was good years ago, no so good today, in my opinion. Anyway, should I try using Fox Fire again?

And this. I installed the TOAW IV patch on my old Windows XP Professional and it did the same thing with the graphics, it made them smaller. It must be a setting or maybe the browsers.

Edit: Oh, yeah. Steve, what do you think of Windows 10? I have a free option to upgrade this computer if I wish. I held off on it because of the horror stories I read about some of the early version of other software made by Microsoft.

Thanks.
rhnelson

Re: Windows 10 - anybody playing on this yet?

Post by rhnelson »

I bought TOAW3 from Matrix years ago. I've moved and changed computers a lot since then and lost it. I discovered I could download it from my Matrix member's page.I have Win 10 now. The installation ran with no problems, but I can't find how to start it. No icon on the homepage, not in the start screen, and the only .exe I can find in the installation program. I tried to uninstall it, but the TOAW3 file wasn't listed as one of the choices.
I'm sure I'm missing something, does any one have an idea of what it is?
Rick
ronmexico111

Post by ronmexico111 »

rhnelson wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:18 pm I bought TOAW3 from Matrix years ago. I've moved and changed computers a lot since then and lost it. I discovered I could download it from my Matrix member's page.I have Win 10 now. The installation ran with no problems, but I can't find how to start it. No icon on the homepage, not in the start screen, and the only .exe I can find in the installation program. I tried to uninstall it, but the TOAW3 file wasn't listed as one of the choices.
Rick
I would just try a reinstall and go from there. I recently started playing again and it works fine for me. If you have any problems after reinstalling then maybe I can help you figure it out.
"Never get out of the boat" Apocalypse Now
ronmexico111

Post by ronmexico111 »

rhnelson wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:18 pm I bought TOAW3 from Matrix years ago. I've moved and changed computers a lot since then and lost it. I discovered I could download it from my Matrix member's page.I have Win 10 now. The installation ran with no problems, but I can't find how to start it. No icon on the homepage, not in the start screen, and the only .exe I can find in the installation program. I tried to uninstall it, but the TOAW3 file wasn't listed as one of the choices.
Rick
Just remember, all you need to download at this point is just the one installer, no other files.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231218-142638~2.png
Screenshot_20231218-142638~2.png (52.09 KiB) Viewed 251 times
"Never get out of the boat" Apocalypse Now

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”