OK, really daft refit question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

MishaTX

OK, really daft refit question

Post by MishaTX »

So I've read a lot of AARs, and I've read the entire refit section of the manual, all one or two paragraphs of it, but I still don't get the game logic of withdrawing refitting units all the way to Germany or Poland as it seems to me, from what I can find in the manual, that they refit just as well in a friendly rail hex just behind the front.

I know my old eyes must be missing something, but it seems to me that I'm just burning rail points by sending them to Berlin on leave instead (although I'm sure that REAL troops would appreciate the difference).
heliodorus04

RE: OK, really daft refit question

Post by heliodorus04 »

Better minds than mine will correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember right, the distance from front is optimal at 10 hexes or more (and maximized at 10 with no benefit from being in Berlin versus say 11 hexes. Key point also is that you want to be on a rail hex to optimize).

Going into refit while on a front line next to an enemy does very little good compared to the above conditions.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
morvael

Post by morvael »

Maybe you mean people withdrawing units to occupied Poland/Germany during First Winter to protect them from morale loss?
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

It does, but even that is not the best choice .

select a big city behind the front (it will shield 2 mobile divisions from blizzard ) and in the spring your rail lines would be free to transport infantry, not armor that takes up a lot of rail capacity.

the map has also a lot of built up areas with population >= 4. Use them , at most you will lose 1-2 morale points garisoning them.
MishaTX

Post by MishaTX »

More than 10 hexes? I must have missed that in the manual too but, then again, that is quite likely with me [;)]

And you're right, morvael, that makes more sense. They were most likely going for a twofer. Refit AND "anti-freeze".

Thanks all. Saved the Reichsbahn a lot of wear and tear there [:)]
MishaTX

Post by MishaTX »

Another question re: refit: So if I'm reading the manual right, there are absolutely no penalties to placing a formation on Refit (by penalties I mean lower CV, MP, etc) compared to just leaving it as "ready"? Of course excepting the fact that it'll be sucking replacements that would otherwise have gone to another formation.
Blubel

Post by Blubel »

Yes. Only problem ist, you can't set it on reserve at the same time.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Slower fort building.
No bonus during replacements if adjacent to enemy.
...so on the frontlines it's useless.
MishaTX

Post by MishaTX »

ORIGINAL: morvael

Slower fort building.
No bonus during replacements if adjacent to enemy.
...so on the frontlines it's useless.

As it should be, thanks. But I don't need to be paranoid about putting a formation on Refit, thinking that I've rendered it useless for a turn in case I suddenly need it for something other than sitting around. I can still use it if I have to, only now the Refit status won't help it (nor should it. Hard to R&R if you're locked in battle with 3 Mech Corps [:)] )

Thanks!
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

Morvael- lower fort building while in refit mode?

Didnt realize this how significant is your ability to fortify reduced while in refit mode?
Sorta

Post by Sorta »

Didn't know this - so more daft questions please. Very useful.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Sorta

me neither, just goes to show that as far as this game goes there are no daft questions, just missing answers ... [8D]
MishaTX

Post by MishaTX »

ORIGINAL: loki100

ORIGINAL: Sorta

me neither, just goes to show that as far as this game goes there are no daft questions, just missing answers ... [8D]

Hey, I aim to please, so I'll keep them coming [;)]

Especially with a bunch as friendly as this forum is.

And the lower fortification rate while refitting bit was, to be sure, interesting. Quite reasonable as I wouldn't consider digging trenches and chopping down trees particularly conducive to refitting unless digging trenches was a whole lot more relaxing in the 40s than when I was doing my time for my country, but considering how attractive a notion it is in the game to have your units building a new fortified line while refitting... Back to the drawing board for me.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Multiplied by current TOE%. So at 50% TOE you will have half construction points on refit as compared to no refit.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

Good to know, not a massive issue when units are at 90%+ ToE but means that units that arent close to full ToE and get thrown into the line on refit mode to fill up quickly arent worth much for fortifying.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”