Can't connect to opponent in lobby

Post bug reports and ask for support here.
Housies

Can't connect to opponent in lobby

Post by Housies »

Problems:
-We both see each other name in the lobby
-We can't see messages the other player types (we had contact via steam chat)
-We can't connect to each other, when we try, the message establiching connection reamains on the screen till I have to do a Ctrl+Alt+Del
-We could connect to each other couple of days ago.

I experienced more issues with connecting to opponents sinces sunday, something changed with the server?

thanks for the support.
PipFromSlitherine

RE: Can't connect to opponent in lobby

Post by PipFromSlitherine »

We've had some server issues. Please try now.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Housies

Post by Housies »

Thanks,

This evening we were able to connect... after trying a few times however. Definitly improvement as we were able to play, but I still feel it's not working as it should.
thanks for the continued support.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

When you fail to connect are you seeing the message "Connecting to Opponent..." but your opponent never gets the invitation?

Steve
Housies

Post by Housies »

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

When you fail to connect are you seeing the message "Connecting to Opponent..." but your opponent never gets the invitation?

Steve
Indeed, that was the issue. On my side, the game froze on the "Connecting to Opponent..." so I eventually had to close the game via Ctrl+Alt+Del magic.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Thanks for the information. We'll continue to try and narrow down the issue.

Are you both you and your opponent able to chat in the game lobby without any errors?

Steve
RD_Knights_X

Post by RD_Knights_X »

Seve....just an FYI this same condition existed ("Connecting to Opponent..." but your opponent never gets the invitation) the one evening when Hetser and I wee tying to connect (my GRRRRRR post) the other evening.
PipFromSlitherine

Have people having issues opened their firewalls for appropriate ports, or are they using the automatic routing?

Cheers

Pip
RD_Knights_X

Post by RD_Knights_X »

Yes (PipfromSlitherine), we have the appropriate ports on. Ho else would we been able to play prior to the incidents we are commenting on. The problem is in the game system and NOT with the players!
Housies

Post by Housies »

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

Have people having issues opened their firewalls for appropriate ports, or are they using the automatic routing?

Cheers

Pip

I haven't done anything with ports (not sure how that works). But as mentioned by Knights; I was able to connect past month without any issue. Since start of august however it often works but it often says: [:-]
PipFromSlitherine

ORIGINAL: RD_Knights_X

Yes (PipfromSlitherine), we have the appropriate ports on. Ho else would we been able to play prior to the incidents we are commenting on. The problem is in the game system and NOT with the players!
The system is specifically designed not to require ports to be opened to play (though you can reduce latency if you do) which is why I asked. That said, the lobby should not require any ports to be open.

The server is running without issue, and we can see other people connected, so will keep working to work out what is causing you guys problems.

Cheers

Pip
crackwise

Post by crackwise »

Funny to see that the multiplayer connection issues still plague this game. If you check the GtC forum, you will see that 80% of the problems are related with multiplayer issues and one of the weakest part is the lobby/server system.

We begged you guys to keep direct TCP/IP connection as an option so that people could play the game even if you had server issues or just stopped supporting the servers at some point.

Now I see that we were 100% right! Please keep this in mind at least for the upcoming CC games!
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

As Pip said, you do not need port 1944 open to connect to an opponent. And I am investigating this but at the moment unable to reproduce the problem.

For those who have experienced it, are you using the Steam version of the game, or is your opponent?

Steve
Housies

Post by Housies »

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

As Pip said, you do not need port 1944 open to connect to an opponent. And I am investigating this but at the moment unable to reproduce the problem.

For those who have experienced it, are you using the Steam version of the game, or is your opponent?

Steve

We were both using the steam version.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

I've been looking into this for a bit and I don't see any obvious issues. The only way I can see for people to 'miss' the invite is if it fails to get across via the lobby, or if it is being mishandled by the game. I can't reproduce either of these myself but it could be some sort of network timing issue that only some people get.

For those experiencing this, please use lobby chat (or Skype, or some other means) to double check with your opponent that both of your games have completely finished loading the lobby (i.e. the user list AND the match-making forums are both populated) BEFORE you offer a game. Please let me know if that appears to make a difference.

Steve
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

having the same issues today aug 22/15 and more issues...see my new thread. I have no ports open just using the lobby like its supposed to work...automatic routing? also see my thread and it could be coincidence...the lobby connection works better, but still screws up with my windows firewall OFF.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Thanks for the info. Are you using the Steam version STIENER?

Steve
STIENER

Post by STIENER »

steve
im NOT using the steam version and I believe my opponents are not also.
Housies

Post by Housies »

Is there any update on this topic?

Tried conneting to a unknown player today but we could not establish connection.
idc

Post by idc »

Hi Housies,
That was me. Thanks for investigating it. I had already tried connecting to a player who was sat in the same room as me and his computer was also having trouble seeing my connections (i.e. they were timing out). When I tried starting the connecting/hosting I got the message that he had refused my connection even though both of us could see that he hadn't. When he started it (as when you did) it simply timed out. So I think there was something odd going on, perhaps with my machine.

In addition I was getting the error, 'failed to get root' (I think it was), which appeared to be connected with a failure to display the integrated forum messages (which instead showed three dots as though they were continually trying to load and failing).

I guess I need to do a bit more digging, but its late here so will call it a day for now.
Sorry we couldn't play!
Ian

Return to “Tech Support”