HMS Hood

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

HMS Hood

Post by warspite1 »

The bell from HMS Hood has been recovered [:)]

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... onnel.html

The most beautiful battlecruiser ever built.

Her crew in 1939. How many were aboard two years later I wonder?....[:(]

Attachments
6045991133..3a2582_b.jpg
6045991133..3a2582_b.jpg (305.91 KiB) Viewed 318 times
HMS_Hood_(..17,_1924.jpg
HMS_Hood_(..17,_1924.jpg (49.73 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Fred98

RE: HMS Hood

Post by Fred98 »

I recall reading there were 3 survivors of the Hood and one migrated to Australia well after the war.

Back in the year 2000, I was visiting the UK and went to the Imperial War Museum.

I was looking at a small display and another man was looking at it too. I do not recall the details of that display.
I made a comment and the man said “Are you from Australia?”.

“Yes” I said.

“My brother was one of the survivors of the Hood and migrated to Melbourne” he said.

“Wow” I said, lost for words.

Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

"the most beautiful battlecruiser ever built"...in the eye of the beholder perhaps. Personally I like the look of the Alaska class better.

"Battlecruiser" being the key word here, because there were some awesome looking "cruisers" (Germany, Japan and US).

Did they ever show some photos or video of the wreck?
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

"the most beautiful battlecruiser ever built"...in the eye of the beholder perhaps. Personally I like the look of the Alaska class better.

"Battlecruiser" being the key word here, because there were some awesome looking "cruisers" (Germany, Japan and US).

Did they ever show some photos or video of the wreck?
http://www.hmshood.com/hoodtoday/2001ex ... ebris1.htm

Also see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... under.html

Attachments
hood.jpg
hood.jpg (21.05 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Wow! Its more intact than I though it would be!
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

You can't compare the Hood (a battlecruiser) with the Alaska (not a battlecruiser).
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Not really. Look through the pics from the first link. The hull is in three pieces.

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

I knew I would get something like this response! Yes, you are correct, the US called this class "Large Cruiser". Technically, after WWI I believe only the UK had true "Battle Cruisers" since they are the ones who coined the term and developed that class...other countries simply called them battleships...or the Brits calling the German lighter battleships "pocket battleships". Maybe you could name me some non-UK post WWI true "Battlecruiser" classes? In the following stats tons stands out, but taking that alone would compare more to a BB. I think the Alaska class is the closest thing to a "Battlecruiser" than anything produced post WWI...perhaps the Japs produced something?

Tons:
Hood 46,680
Alaska 29,779

Length:
Hood 860
Alaska 808

Beam:
Hood 104
Alaska 91

SHP:
Hood 144,000
Alaska 153,000

Speed:
Hood 28-31
Alaska 33

Range:
Hood 5,332
Alaska 12,000

Crew:
Hood 1,325
Alaska 1,517
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Here's a picture of the Missouri (top) and Alaska (bottom.)

The official navy magazine All Hands said "The Guam and her sister ship Alaska are the first American battle cruisers ever to be completed as such."

Attachments
USS_Missou..ia_1944.jpg
USS_Missou..ia_1944.jpg (264.49 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Nice pic...I wonder what the carrier is in the bottom left of the photo? Smaller than Essex Class?
Zap

Post by Zap »

[&o]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Nice pic...I wonder what the carrier is in the bottom left of the photo? Smaller than Essex Class?

I'm thinking it's the USS Cowpens, a CVL.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Ah yes, #25 on the bow flight deck...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Out of curiosity, what were you looking at to make that deduction? More intact? She's a broken mass of twisted metal spread over a large area - as you would expect from a ship that was blown apart [&:]

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Out of curiosity, what were you looking at to make that deduction? More intact? She's a broken mass of twisted metal spread over a large area - as you would expect from a ship that was blown apart [&:]

See the pic in Zorch's post :)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I knew I would get something like this response! Yes, you are correct, the US called this class "Large Cruiser". Technically, after WWI I believe only the UK had true "Battle Cruisers" since they are the ones who coined the term and developed that class...other countries simply called them battleships...or the Brits calling the German lighter battleships "pocket battleships". Maybe you could name me some non-UK post WWI true "Battlecruiser" classes? In the following stats tons stands out, but taking that alone would compare more to a BB. I think the Alaska class is the closest thing to a "Battlecruiser" than anything produced post WWI...perhaps the Japs produced something?

Tons:
Hood 46,680
Alaska 29,779

Length:
Hood 860
Alaska 808

Beam:
Hood 104
Alaska 91

SHP:
Hood 144,000
Alaska 153,000

Speed:
Hood 28-31
Alaska 33

Range:
Hood 5,332
Alaska 12,000

Crew:
Hood 1,325
Alaska 1,517
warspite1

You mention "after WW1" - but my personal opinion covers all battlecruisers - inc WWI.

There were a few ship classes that were invariably known by more than one type:

- The Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were the very opposite of battlecruisers (heavily armoured and lightly armed) but are frequently termed as either battleships or battlecruisers

- The Dunkerque and Strasbourg are known as either fast battleships or battlecruisers

- The Japanese Kongos were built as battlecruisers but were re-classified (by the Japanese) as battleships in the inter-war period.

- The Alaskas are another class of ship that are frequently given one of two different designations - depending upon whose book one is reading. Sometimes referred to as battlecruisers, officially these were heavy cruisers - and were a logical extension of cruiser design and where such would have ended up had the various inter-war naval treaties not limited their size.

- To be clear, the Deutschland-class were nothing more than heavy cruisers - and were indeed re-classified as such during the war. The pocket-battleship term was coined by the British and for propaganda purposes the Germans were quite happy to go along with that misnomer.

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Pocket Battleship meets battleship and battlecruiser.

Attachments
Graf_Spee_..Spithead.jpg
Graf_Spee_..Spithead.jpg (63.6 KiB) Viewed 317 times
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that comment is nothing more than my personal opinion. As you mentioned it, yes, even if you include the Alaskas as BC's there is still no contest in my opinion.

Attachments
uss_alaska..d7p55fo.jpg
uss_alaska..d7p55fo.jpg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 320 times
www.tvn.hu..0d3140b9.jpg
www.tvn.hu..0d3140b9.jpg (68.32 KiB) Viewed 324 times

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian
ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

See the pic in Zorch's post :)
warspite1

Oh okay.....

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Pocket Battleship meets battleship and battlecruiser.

warspite1

The small size of the R-class really hits home when you see this picture.

Return to “General Discussion”