Imperial War Museum London

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

Imperial War Museum London

Post by warspite1 »

Just got back from a trip to the IWM with my elder little cruiser.

First time I have been since it has been done up and I was very impressed.

Particularly worthy of note are the current exhibitions on the First World War and The Holocaust (which features a brilliantly made model of a section Auschwitz that depicted the arrival of around 200,000(?) Hungarian Jews in 1944). There is also an excellent display for "Heroes" and their stories. Finally, we had the bonus of a 15-minute talk on Operation Source - the midget submarine attack on the Tirpitz (the remains of X7 are held at the museum).

Well worth a visit.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Jagdtiger14

RE: Imperial War Museum London

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

One of my very good friends was there a few weeks ago...was very impressed. Sent me photos of an 88, Enigma, mini-sub, T34-85, British Sherman, and more. A lot of it looks like its in factory condition...asked if the 88 had any rings on the barrel...none. He also went to the Cutty Sark and the Golden Hind replica.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Particularly worthy of note are the current exhibitions on the First World War and The Holocaust (which features a brilliantly made model of a section Auschwitz that depicted the arrival of around 200,000(?) Hungarian Jews in 1944). There is also an excellent display for "Heroes" and their stories. Finally, we had the bonus of a 15-minute talk on Operation Source - the midget submarine attack on the Tirpitz (the remains of X7 are held at the museum).

Well worth a visit.

No pictures??? :)
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Well worth a visit.

warspite1

No sorry - no pictures allowed, which is a real shame because I wanted to show the Auschwitz model...[:(]

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Well worth a visit.

warspite1

No sorry - no pictures allowed, which is a real shame because I wanted to show the Auschwitz model...[:(]

That is a shame.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Ah I see you have found one end of the model. The "Showers" and the crematorium.

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q75pOXBr4e0

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/2 ... 74130.html

Below is a model of Dachau.

Currently, I'm reading the Holocaust Chronicles.

I was looking at the LA Holocaust Museum. They have restrictions on photos and filming.

Attachments
Dachu.jpg
Dachu.jpg (88.81 KiB) Viewed 428 times
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Well worth a visit.

That is why I go there every time I am in London. The big elements are the same (the JagdPanther being my favorite alongside the V1. Oh, and the "partisan drop tank" ofc since it on loan from the home front museum in my little hometown [:)]), but the other exhibitions keep changing. Always something new to see there.
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: terje439

Well worth a visit.

That is why I go there every time I am in London. The big elements are the same (the JagdPanther being my favorite alongside the V1. Oh, and the "partisan drop tank" ofc since it on loan from the home front museum in my little hometown [:)]), but the other exhibitions keep changing. Always something new to see there.
warspite1

I don't think the Jagdpanther is there anymore - although I didn't see all of the 3rd floor (WWII).

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I see there are pictures on Google.

Here is the other end from the photo Ezz showed + some detail of the victims after off loading from the trucks.

Final picture is the old museum being refurbished!

Attachments
_76278772_76278771.jpg
_76278772_76278771.jpg (65.47 KiB) Viewed 427 times
MW2.jpg
MW2.jpg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 427 times
IWMModel3a.jpg
IWMModel3a.jpg (47.37 KiB) Viewed 427 times

Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

No photos allowed?...really? My friend sent me several a few weeks ago...wonder how he got away with it?
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

No photos allowed?...really? My friend sent me several a few weeks ago...wonder how he got away with it?
warspite1

I don't know - may be best to ask him. Only one person I saw in the packed museum had a camera and he was spoken to as soon as he entered the "Heroes" floor. Maybe I got it wrong and I missed out on pictures I could have taken - or maybe your friend is just a very naughty boy.

wings7

Post by wings7 »

Well worth a visit.

Robert, the last time I visited the Imperial War Museum was in 1981, I've been there 3 times and always enjoyed the incredible museum! I'm retiring soon and hope to visit London again! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I watched the first 30 minutes of the Simon Wiesenthal documentary called "I have not forgotten you." I'm trying to figure out if it means the ones he lost, or the ones he was hunting.

Anyway, in it are films from many different interviews of him. In one he was talking about his mother being sent to a death camp and he said, "I prayed that she died on the trip. Do you know what it means to me that I would pray for that?"
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

My friend used his phone camera...he didn't think there was a problem and no one said anything.
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

I don't think the Jagdpanther is there anymore - although I didn't see all of the 3rd floor (WWII).

It's at Duxford:
http://www.britishbattles.com/lord-grif ... d=noscript
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

My friend used his phone camera...he didn't think there was a problem and no one said anything.
warspite1

So to clarify it appears that photos are forbidden in the Holocaust and Heroes displays.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Well worth a visit.

Robert, the last time I visited the Imperial War Museum was in 1981, I've been there 3 times and always enjoyed the incredible museum! I'm retiring soon and hope to visit London again! [:)]
warspite1

Let me know if you do - I'd be happy to meet up if you fancy it!

wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Well worth a visit.

warspite1

Let me know if you do - I'd be happy to meet up if you fancy it!

I will, I'm sure you can show me many historical secrets in London town!
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

Return to “General Discussion”