Unknown contact

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

guderian68

Unknown contact

Post by guderian68 »

Hi to all,

maybe someone already asked but I can't find any threads so here my question.

I noticed that unknown contact (yellow one to be clear :)) are labelled as fighether, boomer, bomber even before there is a visualy id by some friendly units. There is some optional setting that avoid this ?

Thanks a lot

PAolo
Dimitris

RE: Unknown contact

Post by Dimitris »

If they are type-classified before visually identified then this means their possible identity is narrowed down by other means (IR, ESM, radar-NCTR etc.).
anxiousbob

Post by anxiousbob »

I think this is just your guys identifying the general profile of the target visually. It's a lot easier to say, "Oh, that looks like a small fighter," than it is to get "Oh, that's a Moroccan F-16C Blk 52+." That's why the first happens much father away.
anxiousbob

Post by anxiousbob »

Sorry, I was too slow and also maybe wrong!
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

You are partially right anxiousbob. If you have an F-16 with a targeting pod and send it to intercept an unknown aircraft, then at long range you might see it turn into "bomber" and then closer in it'll become "TU-160 Blackjack".

This could be cause in the targeting pod it is far out seen like "that's big, definitely not a fighter but a bomber" and as they close in they can classify it further.

But like Sunburn says, target radar emissions that are detected by your Rivet Joint for example could also cause a classification. Or an NCTR capable radar can classify it.

My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”